IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tchan...tchan...tchan.....Tchaaaaaannnnn.... Ladies and gentleman:

Alberto

Another Butyagrus .....? , sprouting

post-465-1255809072_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto,

That's a true thumb nail shot.:) Are your Parajubaeas recovering from the cold winter?

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Alberto,

That's a true thumb nail shot.:) Are your Parajubaeas recovering from the cold winter?

Dick

That to show the difference between a ´´father´´ Jubaea and a ´´father´´Syagrus oleracea with a trunk of only 13cm (6.5 inches) and the same mother plant.

I´m glad all my parajubaeas that had spearpull are recovering fine!!!

Here a pic of the new fronds:

post-465-1256302126_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

• 4 months later...

Update. The B.erios x Jubaea are fast. After 5 months,most of the seedlings have now 4 (a few 3) or are beginning on the 5th strap leave. :winkie:The texture of the leaflets is heavier compared to B.eriospatha seedlings.

Faster then pure B.eriospatha ,I think.

post-465-12674845845426_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

The B.eriosp.x Syagrus oleracea has 2 or 3 leaves and have a more softer texture and aren´t upright like the BxJ.

post-465-12674848905624_thumb.jpg

Alberto, thanks for the updated pics and info... those are exciting new hybrids! We all look forward to seeing how they'll come out. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Alberto, I germinated 11 of 16 seeds , 1 was a defective seedling leaving 10. I now have 4. I lost 6 seedlings to fungus. Without a polytunnel to keep the rain away it is very difficult here to keep seedlings of many palm species alive. Butia eriosptha is very difficult here as a seedling in the open rain.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Hi Nigel,

At the time that I had not a pollytunnel,I left my palm seedlings behind a veranda,when they only had sun in the afternoon. I still have some more´´heat sensitive´´ seedlings there.

Butia eriospatha can have lot of humidity,but your place is also a lot warmer then here on the tableland,and Jubaea blood in it also will ´´not make it more resistant´´:mrlooney: to humidity with heat.....

Update. The B.erios x Jubaea are fast. After 5 months,most of the seedlings have now 4 (a few 3) or are beginning on the 5th strap leave. :winkie:The texture of the leaflets is heavier compared to B.eriospatha seedlings.

Faster then pure B.eriospatha ,I think.

If you are comming or know someone who comes to the Biennial in Rio, I´d like to swap some plants.

I´m interested in Brahea moorei,B.decumbens, chuniophoenix hainanensis,cold hardy Cycads.....

Scuse me while I type through the drool, SquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquish

SquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquis

hSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSqui

shSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquish [etc]

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Nigel,

Butia eriospatha can have lot of humidity,but your place is also a lot warmer then here on the tableland,and Jubaea blood in it also will ´´not make it more resistant´´:mrlooney: to humidity with heat.....

Alberto, I have ButiaxJubaeas, JubaeaxButias here , no problem. I germinated 16 JubaeaxButia seeds the same time and not 1 died.

My Butia eriospatha seedlings are dieing rapidly. It is the erisoptha part that is the problem with the eriosptha xjubaea hybrid.

I dont know why, but Butia eriospatha seedlings here are very vulnerable to rot. I think it is too hot for them.

P.S. I am now down to 3 seedlings, one of the best and very healthiest with 4 leaves keeled over today. I have put the last 3 into a spot where they will get no rain, only sun late in the day.

Edited by Nigel

Resident in Bristol UK.

Scuse me while I type through the drool, SquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquish

SquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquis

hSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSquishSqui

LOL :D

Don't ever change Dave. :D

Those crosses are quite exciting. It'll be interesting to see what they turn out like.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

This is what happens............ I believe now that Butia odorata is more resistant to humidity than eriospatha.

post-432-12676171287628_thumb.jpg

Resident in Bristol UK.

This is what happens............ I believe now that Butia odorata is more resistant to humidity than eriospatha.

Comming from the litoral,B.odoratas are more resistant to humidity combined with heat,I think. But our winters here can be very humid but cold/fresh and summers fresh/warm (not as warm as the plane near the sea of course)and lot of humidity....

I went to the dictionary online English/Portuguese and i finally know now what ´´drool´´ means:lol::drool::drool::drool::drool::)

Take care to not dehydrate.....:D

• 1 year later...

Well, that was over two years ago.

What happened?

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

I´m waiting for my camera to return from holyday:mrlooney:. I´ll show some pics soon.

My last surviving Jaubutia barkemaii

post-432-074841200 1317642123_thumb.jpg

Resident in Bristol UK.

My last surviving Jaubutia barkemaii

Oops it grows vertically ..... honest :blush:

I suspect its not totally healthy though because its very wobbly and only has 2 roots so I think the basal plate has been affected by fungus, it might now survive.

post-432-095480500 1317645349_thumb.jpg

Resident in Bristol UK.

But the leaves look very healthy.

I crossed my Butia eriospatha with pollen that came from California. Finally they are beginning to germinate.

B.eriospatha is the butia species that grows in the coldest and most humid climate (excepted B.microspadix) crossed with the giant and also super hardy Jubaea that grows in a drier habitat. Butia eriospatha also has longer fronds then B.capitata and are greener and cope with high rainfall year round and a fresh summer climate.

I think this hybrid will be winners for cold and humid climates!

The following cross I´ll perform will be Butia eriospatha x Parajubaea torallyi....

There are a few lucky guys wich received some seeds (swap) of this very rare seeds.

How are yours Nigel,M@x, Kristof.... I received also rare seeds and plants from some of this guys. There are folks that are very very generous! :):rolleyes:

In future maybe I´ll be able to sell some of this palms...

This are probably the first Butia eriospatha x Jubaea chilensis of the world! Take a look :drool:

BRAVO !!! Very cool !!

Alberto, do you have any updated pics of your offspring???? Would love to see how these babies have progressed! Thanks, Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 2 weeks later...

Alberto, do you have any updated pics of your offspring???? Would love to see how these babies have progressed! Thanks, Jv

After 2 years......I am field growing the seedlings . Most were planted out 1and 1/2 month now.

A few that were planted out diect in soil last year are bigger (second pic)

post-465-052536200 1318809626_thumb.jpg

post-465-048030900 1318809835_thumb.jpg

Non capisco!

The leaflets are somewhat flatter and more rigid than B.erispatha.

Non capisco!

yes it is quite different, a young eriosptha will have window leaves with much finer leaflets this is very chunky and more robust looking.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Non capisco!

yes it is quite different, a young eriosptha will have window leaves with much finer leaflets this is very chunky and more robust looking.

Alberto and Nigel I have yet to learn! :(

you see that you are experts of Butia! :D

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Non capisco!

Alberto and Nigel I have yet to learn! :(

you see that you are experts of Butia! :D

Gyuseppe, here you see `windowing` in Butia, post-432-038570100 1318876621_thumb.jpg

the leaves are not fully formed but still attached at leaflet tips , Jubaea does not do this and apparently the hybrid neither !

Resident in Bristol UK.

Thanks for the update and photos!!! Looking great!

• 1 year later...

Update of my B.eriospatha x Jubaea after 3 years and 4 months of germinated seeds.

Nice purple collor petioles , relatively stiff leaflets. Some palms has much recurved fronds then others

post-465-0-97359900-1360357974_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-14093600-1360358079_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-84776500-1360358203_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-17389600-1360358360_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-65525000-1360359423_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-87349000-1360359494_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Update of my B.eriospatha x Jubaea after 3 years and 4 months of germinated seeds.

Nice purple collor petioles , relatively stiff leaflets. Some palms has much recurved fronds then others

First pic - Pure Jubaea

Second pic- Close up of the petioles of a young Jubaea. I now know why the B x J has it´s greyish purple collor: inherited from it´s dad Jubaea

post-465-0-32385000-1360365023_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-61618300-1360365145_thumb.jpg

First pic- petiole of a pure Butia eriospatha, that is a volunteer of my eriospathas that was potted up,

Second pic- petioles of the B x J - grey purple, lot of fibers, not spines

Third and fourth pics - comparison between my slightlty older potted up B.eriospatha and my biggest B x J

post-465-0-00183800-1360365411_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-39498700-1360365599_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-26335200-1360365872_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-61053100-1360366072_thumb.jpg

Beautiful palms Alberto. Fast growth too... so much for the theory that JXB is always faster than BXJ. Maybe Eriospatha is part of the difference (?)

Steve

St. Augustine, FL

MIOS DIOS!

Breathtaking!

Mas mas mas mas . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

As Dave says..., Dios mio!!!!

...They will be a few incredible palms!!

nice to see yours cocoids hybrids in Palmtalk..., i am waiting excited to see my butia blooming to try something...

best regards

Fantastic update Alberto !!! That is going to be a beautiful jub and hybrid forrest you'll have there !!!