IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tchan...tchan...tchan.....Tchaaaaaannnnn.... Ladies and gentleman:

Alberto

Holy cannoli! Roberto! Meanwhile I am quite sure that you are on a good way to have and grow the most rarest palms in the world. Hutmann.gif

Just for me: what is the next surprise? I cannot believe such a luck with those exots ... WOOOOOOOW!

You are a grower with the perfect balance of plant love and will to risk. master.gif

Will follow every posting of you from now on. smiley1678.gif

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Gracias! Dankchen! Thanks!!

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

My oldest erio

OH NO!

IT'S THE ERIOSPATHA OF DOOM!

PLEASE DON'T EAT ME, MR. E OF D!

Hmm. Son of E of D and J of C . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Squish, squish, squish, [click-CLACK!] -

etc

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave! :winkie:

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Incredible growth for the last year and a half, Alberto!!....and they all look marvelous, looking neat with the unusual wider leflets. These plants are much bigger than the sister up here which is not in the ground yet...maybe I should fridge it for the winter here at a few times... :)

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 1 year later...

My palms are now 5 years old since germination. I´m digging up my bigger B x J and there are a lot of folks interested in them. Halve of them I sold in a few days. There are also some going to England to Nigel Kembreys´s nursery ! :)

post-465-0-50348200-1418244291_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-42731200-1418244470_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

My palms are now 5 years old since germination. I´m digging up my bigger B x J and there are a lot of folks interested in them. Halve of them I sold in a few days. There are also some going to England to Nigel Kembreys´s nursery ! :)

Curious if anyone is giving it a go in Florida. :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Those are looking great! So you sold them locally?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

That's amazing growth and an amazing palm for potential out of reach zones--you should get a palm advocacy award, Alberto! Not to mention a big green thumbs up! Very nice.

Curious if anyone is giving it a go in Florida. :interesting:

To grow a palm with Jubaea DNA in Florida would be the bomb.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I had a JxB F2 but it consistently spotted and looked terrible. I transplanted it away from being in a visible location but unfortunately it didn't survive. A BxJ from Patric replaced it and has done extremely well.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

B.eriospatha is the butia species that grows in the coldest and most humid climate (excepted B.microspadix) ... Butia eriospatha also has longer fronds then B.capitata and are greener and cope with high rainfall year round and a fresh summer climate.

That's interesting. That gives me a reason to grow eriospathas. Tall, old, and beautiful Butia odoratas are everywhere here in Jacksonville. I wonder if an eriospatha will grow faster since this climate is closer to its native grounds than that of odorata. Thoughts?

Jeremy Breland
itinerant public garden horticulturist
A native of the US Gulf Coast: USDA hardiness zone 8b-9b; AHS heat zone 8-9, Sunset climate zone 28; Trewartha climate classification: Cf-humid subtropical; Hot and humid summers with occasional droughts, warm and wet winters punctuated by cold snaps.

Currently in New Orleans, LA, zone 9b, heat zone 8

It is interestng. Since many here in Europe have made the experience, that eriospatha is prone to fungus in damp conditions.

My eriospatha x microspadix for example has got some rotting/fungus at the emerging spear, after the very wet summer and mild fall we had.

I put som pictures on the EPS Forum.

http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?boardid=1&show=31&page=1&topicid=7277

Marcel

I didn't think to ask whether B. eriospatha's native haunts experiences hot summers. Thanks, Marcel, for prompting me to think of this question since Florida's and UK's summer climates are vastly different.

Jeremy Breland
itinerant public garden horticulturist
A native of the US Gulf Coast: USDA hardiness zone 8b-9b; AHS heat zone 8-9, Sunset climate zone 28; Trewartha climate classification: Cf-humid subtropical; Hot and humid summers with occasional droughts, warm and wet winters punctuated by cold snaps.

Currently in New Orleans, LA, zone 9b, heat zone 8

It is interestng. Since many here in Europe have made the experience, that eriospatha is prone to fungus in damp conditions.

My eriospatha x microspadix for example has got some rotting/fungus at the emerging spear, after the very wet summer and mild fall we had.

I put som pictures on the EPS Forum.

http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?boardid=1&show=31&page=1&topicid=7277

Marcel

Very strange! The climate of both Butia eriospatha and B. microspadix´s habitats is wet year round....................

• 2 years later...

Seven years and eight months since germination. One of the offspring of my B.eriospatha x Jubaea chilensis that I have growing here 

DSCN0106.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 16

On 5/13/2017, 1:50:46, Alberto said:

Seven years and eight months since germination. One of the offspring of my B.eriospatha x Jubaea chilensis that I have growing here 

DSCN0106.JPG

looks amazing Alberto

thanks for posting some great updated photos....

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/5/2017 17:13:42, Jdiaz31089 said:

Wow! That is a great looking palm. It is cycad-like in appearance at this stage. 

Yeah!, compact/elegant!!

3 hours ago, sergiskan said:

Yeah!, compact/elegant!!

It's not really apparent when looking at the picture above, but this thing is huge. Just look at the washies in the background for scale. A person would probably be able to stand up underneath the lowest frond that is facing the camera.

• 11 months later...
On 13/05/2017, 21:50:46, Alberto said:

DSCN0106.JPG

Will be great if you can post update of this beauty current look :wub:

On 5/13/2017, 4:50:46, Alberto said:

DSCN0106.JPG

Wow, that is a beautiful palm.  

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Hi. Thanks all.  Yes I´l proud about ''my creation''

I´ll try to make some more updated pics of some of this palms I´ve here.

I have to find some Jubaea pollen to make new seeds.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Alberto said:

Hi. Thanks all.  Yes I´l proud about ''my creation''

I´ll try to make some more updated pics of some of this palms I´ve here.

I have to find some Jubaea pollen to make new seeds.

Definitely do some more Alberto! 

Jubutia f2 or f1 is not bad donor to

• 3 years later...

Wait. Wait. Wait. 

Is this the legendary hybrid of b.eriosphata and j.chilensis?

This is a beautiful palm! 

This is the hardiest feather palm on earth! 

Wow! 

Edited by Kakapipi

• 11 months later...

I’ll bring this back up almost a year later. Fantastic hybrid hopefully patrix will be able to make this some day for those of us state side.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello everybody. I' m back... 😀.  This are some pics of the same B.eriospatha x Jubaea posted above. The diameter of this trunk is like that of a pure Jubaea.

20230519_151454.jpg

20230519_151515.jpg

20230519_151527.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Last I planted also 9 B. erio x J at the farm in Tibagi that is located 80 km from here. They were all growing close together in a shady spot and are finally free to grow.

IMG-20230418-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20230418-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230418-WA0011.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Alberto said:

Hello everybody. I' m back... 😀.  This are some pics of the same B.eriospatha x Jubaea posted above. The diameter of this trunk is like that of a pure Jubaea.

20230519_151454.jpg

20230519_151515.jpg

20230519_151527.jpg

Good God that's a beast! Beautiful!

Edited by N8ALLRIGHT
Misspelled