IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

growth rate on Triangle palms............

trioderob

anywhere between slow & fast depending on conditions & planet alignment.

:bemused:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Your growth questions you ask are like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

what kind of growth rate can be expected from a triangle ?

palmtriangle01.jpg

Look at them...they're gorgeous! They can just stop growing and the'd still be spectacular! Good Luck, Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Looks to me like your photo is taken in Florida, but you live in California; expect different results. I have no personal experience, therefore nothing to add, just trying to interpret for you. :) Paul is saying, "that depends..." Len is saying, "growth rate is subjective". Well, those are my translations, anyway. I expect them to argue the finer points of my interpretation, you know: the reins, the tomentum, the angle of the sun, speed and intensity of rainfall, exposure to moonlight, the Freudian study of soil composition, and everything else I left out.

Cheers,

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

What type of palm is the pot bellied trunk behind the triangles? A beer-fed syagrus maybe? :rolleyes:

Is that black staining on the trunk seeping out from the trunk, or is it just a shadow on the front palm? These boys are susceptible to trunk rot... they're beauties that you've got there. Take good care of them.

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Those are NOT my palms just a ref photo - LOL

I did plant a small triangle this week and could not find anything about planted growth rates.

I pulled out my copy of Robert Lee Riffle's palm book I could not find any info.

looked on line and found no info......

you have to understand that when you are starting with palms there is the issue of growth speed that is not a factor

trees - some of these guys can grow real slow and there is not alot of info to use as ref.

on some of these palms it seems the ONLY way to get growth rates is to ask on a forum like this.

Edited by trioderob

With triangle palms you get three sides to every story, with hardiness the headline news. They can stumble into your garden or they can slip in late at night while alls asleep and they'll grow and edge along like a baying hound.

Okay Jimmy, that's a wrap

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ive found them to be quick. They are not hardy for me but grow fast in pots. germinate easily from seed and are profitable for large scale nurseries to grow so it cant be super slow.

I have seeds I put in dirt back in january, they are in 9" treepots with 2-3 leaves now just starting to go pinnate on 3rd leaves.

I also bought a 1gal 'premium foilage" triangle at a local bigbox. it was half off since it was pushing itself out of the pot by growing so many roots. it is growing vigorously in a 3 gal pot now and about 2.5 feet or more after about 3 months.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

first picture from after hurricane andrew, and second picture now 17 years later.

post-641-1253576432_thumb.jpgpost-641-1253576499_thumb.jpg

looks like you had a direct hit from the eye wall.

very nasty.

palms looks great !

Edited by trioderob

These palms love sun and a hot spot plus good drainage. If you bake these palms, and then fertilise them in the growth period and water them when they're baking, but letting the surface of the soil dry out between waterings you will be giving them optimum growth conditions and they'll be quite fast. Think of them like a solar panel that needs lots of exposure to the sun, and in this respect they're much like a coconut. In the shade they'll be slower, get leggy, and prone to rot if you water too much. They're not a rainforest palm. They grow in areas of scrubby undergrowth and emerge above the shrubs etc into fullsun.

Hope this helps. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I am in South Florida. Here you can see pictures of mine in Aug 2004 and then in July 2009. I would say in 5 years it added about 3' of trunk.

post-1490-1253579649_thumb.jpgpost-1490-1253579671_thumb.jpg

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Tyrone explained it well.

Here I have some in different locations and the fastest growing has all day sun and good drainage on a slope in good soil. All receive the same water, from the sky only.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Tyrone explained it well.

Here I have some in different locations and the fastest growing has all day sun and good drainage on a slope in good soil. All receive the same water, from the sky only.

Jim

"from the sky"

do you have to rub it in ?

The question should be, what's the death rate? For me, close to 100%. Lot's of noce ones around here though.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

anywhere between slow & fast depending on conditions & planet alignment.

:bemused:

WTF ?

I don't think the World Trade Federation will have the answer you seek.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

The question should be, what's the death rate? For me, close to 100%. Lot's of noce ones around here though.

Why can't you grow these?????????

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Best regards

Tyrone

These are not palms for overwatered yuppie housing types who have automated lifestyles, nannies for the kids,dogs, and garden. The best looking Triangles are found in the barrios and surf ghettos where they dont get too much water.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

trioderob:

I can give you a few factual details about both how fast Triangles can grow, and, alas, how you can kill them. Nothing beats one-stop shopping, eh? :)

Kept happy, Ts are racehorses. Maybe not like Washies or Kings or Queens, but darn fast enough to gratify all but the most impatient palm growers.

On January 1, 2000, I bought about 30 overgrown babies in 1-gallon pots from a cycad nursery and immediately put them into fives, and within a couple months, shifted them again into 15s, except for the very largest which went into 32 gallon garbage cans. Most were planted in Dave's (recycled) Death Camp Planting Mix. The general advice is to not recycle potting soil but I did, which for the Ts was the right thing to do. Most of the humus rapidly disappeared, leaving sand and perlite in the pots, which Ts just loved.

Some of them became saleable 15-gallon plants from overgrown in 1-gallon pots in six months; the ones in the 32s were saleable within a year, or less. These were not stretched plants, but full, fat, vigorous [expletives]. The key seemed to be: full sun, regular weekly water and fast drainage.

Leave out the drainage, and they can die almost as fast as the jokes around here.

When I moved to Shangri La Habra in the fall of 2002, I planted about 6 Ts along my infamous Western Wall of Privacy and Death. (Now there's privacy from a Lavatera hedge; the Ts provided the Death.) I put them into the Nasty Clay of Sticky Sorrow, and watered them once a week. All died in about 2 months from rotting. Carked and gone. :(

If you have Sticky Sorrow to deal with, plant them on the Mound of Defiance of Sticky Sorrow, in a fast-draining mixture. I have finally gotten them to grow for me, on the Slope of Fast Drainage. The Hoopers also have a huge one at their place, half a mile away.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Best regards

Tyrone

All my fault. The double I planted is in too much shade and over watered. Thus....we have some pathological problems and some rot. One died. I am trying to save the other by clearing out some sun around it and keeping it dry. We'll see.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

As Dave & Epicure has pointed out they sometimes die and mine has,i purchased a large specimen,paying quite high for it ! :angry: I came to know that its dying when we had very heavy gusty winds and one morning when i went walking inside the garden..i could not find the triangle ? :hmm: It was lying in the ground the other side. :huh:

post-108-1253633952_thumb.jpg

post-108-1253633983_thumb.jpg

Base of the palm,left over in that sandy soil big sized pot ? :blink:

post-108-1253634044_thumb.jpg

Now lets see the damaged trunk base,nothing green there ! :wacko:

post-108-1253634154_thumb.jpg

And i took this cutaway triangle palm and placed it in another big pot to see how it dries up,But to my surprise even after 6 moths the palm is alive and has retained its silver green color and no new fronds have dried up.More of those stills in a new thread. :huh:

Kris :mellow:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

thanks for all the info guys

this forum is great and for a new guy like me -the info is invaluable.

so far the new triangle looks great with all kinds of browns, reds and tans.

the little sucker is very colorful

Edited by trioderob

This one of mine is about 20 years old, it was planted as a seedling. Initially it was growing in fullsun but as the years have passed it now finds itself in mostly filtered sunlight. Compared to the surrounding palms some of which are much younger in their years, this one is not particularly a fast grower. Like all my palms now, they are fighting for nutrition and water due to the over crowding.

Cheers

Mike

post-250-1253656881_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

xxxx

post-250-1253656926_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006