IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

lessons on "how to talk southern"

paulgila

ok floriduh people,we need some lessons in how to speak like a southerner to maximize our fun in that part

of the USA that sticks out funny & points south.

we know the obvious ones like "ya'll" & "all ya'all"(even tho i will NEVER understand that one) &

"wheres the nearest Lubeys cafeteria," but that is about the extent of our knowledge.

we need help if we are gonna survive this thing so give us some tips on how to "conversate" with the locals.

eagerly awaiting "all ya'alls" replies...

:interesting:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

We do not converse with a "Florida twang" in the southern three counties: Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade.

Sorry to disappoint. :(

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

the only place i have been in the south is austin texas,which i really enjoyed.they had a pretty thick accent so maybe this trip will be alot easier. B)

still "warning-free."

Moose Knuckle sure uses a lot of

large colorful type

in his posts for not having a twang. I'm suspect. It's just a distraction.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I found So-Flo to be almost as filled with northeastern accents as the Northeast.

I noted this exchange in a jewelry shop at a mall:

CUSTOMER: "I'd like to buy these earrings for my wife."

CLERK (From Mass.) "Does she have PSDS?"

CUSTOMER: "Huh?"

CLERK: "Oh, c'mon, you know what I mean" the clerk puts her earlobe between thumb and forefinger, "PSDS!"

Seriously.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I feel 'country' when I visit south fla. however my family is native around those parts and I fit in, but since so many people are from the northeast down there You hear new york and boston accents all day long. I cant stand it. :sick:

if ya'll want a lesson in southern twang, c'mon down to to the panhandle, its the deep south in fla.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Moose is right-no Southern accent in S. Florida. If you're where you can drive to salt water is less than a half-hour here in the Disney Peninsula, the locals will probably have a yankee accent (we're mostly all from "up North")

Oh, PSDS= pierced ears (say it out loud a few times)

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

At it's inception, Florida was a Southern State. In the early days, only Jacksonville, Pensacola and Key West existed. Tallahasee was a compromise between Pensacola and Jacksonville to become State Capitol. Key West did not care because they were making too much money from the lucrative ship wrecking buisness.Below 29 North latitude, it may as well have been Africa, South America or Indonesia.

Florida was the first State found in the US (Ponce DeLeon) but the last settled and there are still Micosukee tribes in the Glades that remain formally at war with the US.(refused to sign the Peace Treaty ending the Second Seminole War) Of the original 13 colonies, Georgia was considered a prison State and those without enough etiquette to be accepted in Georgia migrated to Florida.

Texans may disagree but the first cowboys were Floridians. They were called cow catchers because the Spaniards introduced cattle and hogs that quickly went wild and naturalized. The cow catchers ran the wild cows to feed the Confederate Army(towards Charleston) or to feed Cuba(towards Ft. Myers). Jacob Summerlin was known as the Cow King and died with over a million dollars worth of gold bullion under his bed even though he had been paid many millions in Confederate currency that was worthless.He also founded Orlando by gifting the Orange County Courthouse. I guarantee you that Jacob spoke with a Southern Drawl.

In the late 1800's, Henry Flagler started the true "opening up" of the State with his extension of the Railroad first to St. Augustine, then to Palm Beach, Lemon City and the Keys. Northener's followed and stayed in his fine Hotels and quickly instituted a bullrush to the fabled land of milk and honey and opportunity. Even Flagler's Standard Oil fortune did not allow him to complete his true goal of completing a railroad to Habana. He passed around 1909 but as a native Ohioian, I am certain that he spoke with no Southern Drawl. Intrigued he was with the accent, for it caused him to fall deeply in love with a Ms. Kennan from North Carolina, who was less than half his age and spoke with a melodious Southern Drawl.

Over the next 100 years, the Southern backbone of the State was turned upside down as Northeastener's flocked to Southeast Florida (Pak da cah in havid yahd),Midwestener's Tampa South. Orlando North is still quite Southern. Interestingly, Midwesterner's most resemble native Floridians in character, friendly and laidback. Rather similar to Californians. It is a fundamental error in judgment to mistake being Floridian of Southern persuasion with lack of mental accuity.

A few local notes:If you hear someone refer to Miami as Miamah, you got a native. If you hear someone refer to Riviera Beach as Raveerah Beach, you got a native. If you hear someone refer to a hurricane as a hurracun, you got a native. Remember this: "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God".

What you look for is what is looking

If you hear someone refer to a hurricane as a cyclone, you got yourself an aussie, because it is like a hurricane, and that's canadian.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

If you hear someone refer to a hurricane as a cyclone, you got yourself an aussie, because it is like a hurricane, and that's canadian.

If you hear someone refer to a hurricane, pack your crap & run! :drool: Oh nevermind, you'll just miss hurricane season.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

How are you with a "Ricky Ricardo" accent? :blink: That one you will definitely encounter. :floor:

Ron. :)

The linguists agree!

"The range of Southern dialects collectively known as Southern American English stretches across the southeastern and south-central United States, but excludes the southernmost areas of Florida and Texas." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English)

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

FYI - In Florida, in order to go "South" you must travel North. Don't forget to bring your passport!

Jim

One mile west of Biscayne Bay

and two miles north of Fairchild Tropical Garden

Miami, Florida

- Avg. Relative Humid: 72%

- Subtropical Zone 10B

- Summer Averages(May-October): Avg. Max/Min 87F/75F

- Winter Averages (Nov-April): Max/Min 78F/63F

- Record High: 98F

- Record Low: 30F

- Rain: 56 inches per year

Love that PSDS observation...but here's what's funny, say it with a southern drawl, and you get the same thing! Perhaps the only thing a northeastern Yank and a southerner have in common! Many people here in Natchez also say "hurracun," I didn't realize that was a native Floridian pronunciation. It's also a common New Orleans pronunciation (Natchez is a strange and disjunct extension of uptown New Orleans, 170 miles up-river, and many of that city's cultural traditions prevail here.)

I think another aspect of the Florida experience, particularly South Florida, is the microcosm you inhabit while there. I go there often and spend most of my time in the Fairchild-Coconut Grove-Coral Gables area and the accent there is definitely latin! Very little of the northeast that I have encountered (you'll find lots of New England down in Key West). Sitting at the cafes in Coconut Grove you can easily imagine yourself in Rio, or any other elegant, well-heeled area of South America. Beautiful people, beautiful accents, beautiful trees, beautiful weather, need I go on...

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Love that PSDS observation...but here's what's funny, say it with a southern drawl, and you get the same thing! Perhaps the only thing a northeastern Yank and a southerner have in common!

Actually, you hit a linguistic nail on the 'ead . . . Bostonian, Southern and Brooklynese are all directly derived from speech patterns in England. . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yes, and that influence would explain the British "hurracun" as well...though I'm not sure how common that pronunciation might be in the northeast. It strikes me that in the greater New York area at least it's primarily "hurr-i-cane." It could also be an issue of class and prep-school education there, however...something tells me Thurston Howell III would say "hurracun."

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Michael, I have always understood the pronounciation of "hurricun" to derive from the Carib God "Huracan", who was associated with an evil wind.

What you look for is what is looking

How are you with a "Ricky Ricardo" accent? :blink: That one you will definitely encounter. :floor:

Matty, Just rent "Scarface" & practice "Say hallow to my leetle friend" & you'll fit right in in Miami! :floor:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Carib God "Huracan", who was associated with an evil wind.

Not that I am bragging or anything, but I too could be called "Huracan" because after 3 visits to Taco Bell in a week I have "an evil wind". Know what I mean all y'all.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Different dialects of Britain, actually. Much of American dialect differences can be traced to immigration patterns from different regions of Britain. (Not all, there are French, Spanish, African & other influences in different areas.)

Love that PSDS observation...but here's what's funny, say it with a southern drawl, and you get the same thing! Perhaps the only thing a northeastern Yank and a southerner have in common!

Actually, you hit a linguistic nail on the 'ead . . . Bostonian, Southern and Brooklynese are all directly derived from speech patterns in England. . .

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Okay, if you really want to hear a native Florida (Cracker) accent, watch for pickups that have bumper stickers saying things like:

"Florida Native" (includes outline of state with stetson hanging off Panhandle)

"Florida Cracker" (similar motif)

"Some of us aren't on vacation"

"If they call them Snow Birds why can't we shoot 'em?"

Stop said pickup, ask driver a question and listen to response (tip: most carry guns).

Of course, you will hear more FL native speakers in the darkest interior of the state where Yankees (almost everyone else in the US) fear to tread.

Have fun, boys.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

sounds like i better go to TJ this weekend & brush up on my "spanglish"...

still "warning-free."

Matty, Just rent "Scarface" & practice "Say hallow to my leetle friend" & you'll fit right in in Miami! :floor:

I like to say, "ehparajubaea c c c c c c coidtheeeeeeeees" in my Cubano accente.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

sounds like i better go to TJ this weekend & brush up on my "spanglish"...

You better brush up on your tournakit knots.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

wow,it took a few seconds to figger out what you meant by "tournakit."

i assume you mean a "tour of the estate of Eartha Kitt."

still "warning-free."

:huh: You're too smart for me. We can't hang out anymore.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Okay Paul, having grown up near the south (southern Missouri) as well as lived in East Texas for 7 years, I have a couple of helpful hints.

If anyone asks you if you want more of anything: beer, corn nuts, okra, hominy, etc. say "AH SHORE DO!"

(Nothing screams south quite like saying shore instead of sure)

If you overhear someone say "Time to change that lat, bub." What they mean is that an incandescent light has burned out and needs replacing.

I'll keep you posted if I remember more...

Edited by osideterry

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I like to say, "ehparajubaea c c c c c c coidtheeeeeeeees" in my Cubano accente.

Matty - Chew gotik mang, Berry Berry nice :lol:

Translation: You got it man, very very ...

This thread reminds me of that Bill Cosby piece on american accents.

I saw a dog.

Hat attack.

etc.

anyone recall that Cosby one ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

These are things that I have heard and seen around here in NCF (North Central FL) since I moved here from Los Angeles many moons ago.

When someone says that something is 'hire than a catsback' that means its expensive.

'You goan hurtcherself witthat' means that something is good (like it tastes good)

'What the hell is TOE-foo and tem-PAY?' means there is no vegetarian food in that particular restaurant.

'Ya want that sauteed or panfried?' (same thing)

If you see a small child sporting a tee shirt that says "ISLAM IS OF THE DEVIL" don't stop. There's a local church (Dove Outreach Ministeries) trying to spread ethnic hatred. If you ask about the shirt you will never get away (alive) as they will preach to you for hours.

When you ask for a beer (or wine) list and get a blank stare, that means Miller Lite and Coors Light on draft and the house wine is $2.99 a glass for either red, white or pink.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Yes Sir

and

Yes Maam when responding to ANYTHING.

are a must. True SouthernHospitality son.

and ask for sweet tea wherever you go.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Ok.....as a 4th generation (possibly more) native Floridian on both Mom and Dad's side.....I gotta step in here with a few comments. Some of these observations are pretty over the top. The accent that many of you refer to is what I like to call the "Gone with the Wind" Southern accent that is probably more common to areas of Virginia and North Carolina than the Deep South (although areas of Georgia also sound like this) . This is the "Southern Drawl that people frequently associate with the South" This accent originally came from the South and West of England from the wealthy (lesser noblemen) and was subsequently used by these transplanted Englishmen on their Southern Plantations.

The accent that you will hear North of Orlando and up through the Panhandle will probably be more of the "backwoods" accent that originally came from the borderlands between Scotland and England. This accent is heavy on the vowel sounds and has a definate "Twang" to it. Some examples would be "Flarduh arnges" with heavy accent on "ar". " We also say "fixin" for "about" and "reckin" for "think". If you notice, leaving off the "ing" at the end of a word is quite common also.

So a sentence would go something like this.......Hey, if ya'll are fixin to go to Flariduh to pick up some palms, you reckin you could pick me up some arnges when you git there.

As was said in a previous post, you can also spot the Southerners many times by what they drive..........pickup trucks. It is a staple in these parts.

For a really great informative book on the 4 distinct original English cultures that helped shape our country....read the book "Albion's Seed"

http://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-British...l/dp/0195069056

Editorial Reviews

From Library Journal

This cultural history explains the European settlement of the United States as voluntary migrations from four English cultural centers. Families of zealous, literate Puritan yeomen and artisans from urbanized East Anglia established a religious community in Massachusetts (1629-40); royalist cavaliers headed by Sir William Berkeley and young, male indentured servants from the south and west of England built a highly stratified agrarian way of life in Virginia (1640-70); egalitarian Quakers of modest social standing from the North Midlands resettled in the Delaware Valley and promoted a social pluralism (1675-1715); and, in by far the largest migration (1717-75), poor borderland families of English, Scots, and Irish fled a violent environment to seek a better life in a similarly uncertain American backcountry. These four cultures, reflected in regional patterns of language, architecture, literacy, dress, sport, social structure, religious beliefs, and familial ways, persisted in the American settlements. The final chapter shows the significance of these regional cultures for American history up to the present. Insightful, fresh, interesting, and well-written, this synthesis of traditional and more current historical scholarship provides a model for interpretations of the American character. Subsequent volumes of this promised multivolume work will be eagerly awaited. Highly recommended for the general reader and the scholar.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David,

Excellent post! I orta buy that book.

Bubba,

The story I heard about Huracan was when Columbus first encountered the Caribs, he thought he was in Asia. He thought a "Khan" was their king and asked to meet him. The closest the Caribs could figure out what he meant was their god Huracan, named after hurricanes of course. Don't know how true that is but its a good story!

Gina,

Your post tells more about you than Southerners.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

"now we gettin someweah."

(yes,ive seen "cat on a hot tin roof!)

ray in brandon fl i have a feeling yer advice may be the best so far.

jerry lighten up,have a cocktail.see you soon.

still "warning-free."

Gee Jerry that's funny you should say that since I have been a 'Southerner' for 50 years except for the brief time I lived in LA. But then, it doesn't seem to matter how long I am away from the forum, a day, a week, a month or whatever, when I come back I can always count on you to have a snide remark waiting in the wings for me at some point. Makes me feel right at home.

As I may have posted in the past, we have trouble out here in the stix with wild boar. We finally resorted to having a couple young guys come out to hunt them with bow and arrow, and, as a last resort, firearms. One of the more colorful colloquialisms I have heard in a while was one of them calling an area that the hogs like to frequent a "hogwaller". That is, a "hog wallow'. My daughter had to ask what 'wallow' meant, LOL.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

As mentioned above much of South Florida is more like the Latin America north than southern USA. You might as well learn some South Florida Spanglish while there. Most SFLA Cubans don´t speak in one breath either English or Spanish exclusively. There are over 300,000 Brazilians in Florida, and most of them are in South Florida. A lot of them try communicating with the hispanics speaking Portuguese with what they think is a Spanish accent. I guess they understand each other for the most part. While you visit Jerry in Deerfield you should go to a Brazilian restaurant in Pompano. There are a few with decent Brazilian food. Since I know you guys enjoy eating.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg