IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pics from SoCal palm meeting

Kris

Hey Matt, sorry I didn't get to see you.  I showed up a little late, around 2:30, but the surf was really good :)

You're right Jeff.  I looked at the fronds again, and they are definitly plumose.  I just remembered reading about an Acanthophoenix crinita var. rubra or sp. rubra that he had.  Am I mistaken?  Did anyone get a picture?

As for the dates planted, I'm just going of the pictures I took of the little plaques.

Ralph's house was amazing.  The PSSC meetings just keep getting better and better.  I have only one regret, and that is when I finally got to the meeting, the auction was in full swing, and I missed out on the last parajubaea sunkha.

David

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

Group: Members

Posted on: Sep. 17 2006,19:36        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(BigWaveDave @ Sep. 18 2006,11:00)

Latania loddigesii.  Planted July '80 1 gal

26 years ? Woo, lucky I am in brisbane I suppose. 26 years ? you sure ?

Wal, that's what I saw on the label too.  Lot's of the plants had the size/date planted on them.  Some of them were surprising how slow they were.  I can only speculate that root competition and being shaded out contributed to this.  Anyone else note any unusually dinky palms?

palmazon · Posted on Sep. 17 2006,21:00

who do I have to bribe to keep my mugshots off this board?

That would be me.  Please send $14.95 plus shipping and handling to MattyB Enterprises...

Oh, yeah I saw Fred too!  Oh, yeah and Allen!  Crap, I saw so many people I can't remember them all.  Most people I've seen at any of the meetings I've been to.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(bgl @ Sep. 18 2006,14:24)

Wal,

PSSC (SoCal) has six meetings a year, and they're rotated between the four counties (San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles and Ventura) and there's ALWAYS an auction after the garden tour(s). I never missed a single meeting, or an auction, when I lived there, and I understand the auctions are even better today with some larger specimens. These are great events!

Bo-Göran

Sounds great.

Some questions to current members/office bearers:

Do you have an actual meeting presided over by a committee ( El Presidenty, Treasurer etc) ?

Where do the auction palms come from, same suppliers ? or members own collection ?

Are they paid for from society funds ?

Do profits go back into society funds ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I am a Palm newbie and I can't wait to go to one of these meetings!  

Keep the pics rolling...I didn't know palms like these existed!

• Upvote 1

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

Very nice!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Wal @ Sep. 17 2006,22:36)

Sounds great.

Some questions to current members/office bearers:

Do you have an actual meeting presided over by a committee ( El Presidenty, Treasurer etc) ?

Where do the auction palms come from, same suppliers ? or members own collection ?

Are they paid for from society funds ?

Do profits go back into society funds ?

so many questions

not enough time

check this link

Palm Society of Southern California

and this link

PSSC bylaws

I get by with a little help from my fronds

That is one amazing liitle jungle he has there.  Great pictures, looks like everyone had fun.

I want a greenhouse, that looked coooool in there.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

(MattyB @ Sep. 17 2006,13:14)

Here's one for you Deezpalms!  Pinanga speciosa, in fruit, growing in the greenhouse.  The top of the newest leaf is touching the roof, two stories up.  It's still in a 1 gallon pot with the back bursting out and the roots in the ground.

sweetness!! Thanks bro!!! I wish I could've gone!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

WHat a feast! You guys over there had a blast! Keem em coming!!!!!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(JEFF from Trabuco Canyon, CA @ Sep. 17 2006,21:25)

It was very nice to meet a lot of you guys.  I was the guy letting a few people at a time in the green house.  I hope it did't get to crowded in there.  It was the biggest turn out that I have seen at a meeting in years.

Jeff

You were a great goon at the door!

:)

Yeah, Ralph's place is special, say what you will about how crowded it is.

On the upside, there's no weeds.  

No room for them!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(K_Palm @ Sep. 18 2006,01:40)

I am a Palm newbie and I can't wait to go to one of these meetings!  

Keep the pics rolling...I didn't know palms like these existed!

Welcome aboard!

Note that this board has all of the information to keep up with meetings, etc.  The next meeting will be in NOvember.

This was one of the best meetings I've been to.

I think it's partly because of the garden, and partly because of the central location, and perfect weather.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Justin next to a juvenille Jubea just joking and jivin' with the jackasses

post-126-1158597974_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Great photos guys.  I love these PSSC meetings.  Enough to drag the whole family (wife, 5 year old, 2 year old, and 3 month old) ~100 miles.  They are also getting more and more fun as I meet more and more people, both from the board, and a few from the "real world".  Definitely a fun crowd to spend the day with.  I saw a ton of people, and missed a few (Fred, didn't know you were there).

The garden was truly insane.  I have to admit that if I didn't know the history (Ralph's lived there sine 62) and share the palm bug, I'd assume that the owner of that property was crazy...well maybe we all are.   Something not mentioned yet, I don't think, is that Ralph has managed to get permission from his neighbors and the city, to plant palms in the parkways (the space between the street and the sidewalk) all along his street.  He's definitely inspired the neighborhood, there were a few real nice palms (like a 20' Pritchardia) even a few blocks away.

Bigwavedave, that palm was an Acrocomea aculeata.  There was an Acanthophoenix in the front but you really had to lool for it, in the front yard behind the giant Cryosophila.  

I was also totally amazed at how small some of the palms that had been in the ground for 10-15 years were.  There was an Oraniopsis appendiculata that was no more than 30" tall, in the ground since ~90.  A Licuala in the front was only about 12" tall and was ~12 years from a 5g!  The strangest thing about these slowpokes though, was that they looked healthy.

Well it was great seeing everyone, and meeting several of you for the first time.   Sorry, no photos, I kind of had my hands full.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I saw a ton of people, and missed a few (Fred, didn't know you were there).

Matt,

If I had known you were going to be there I'd have made it a point to find you.  I wasn't there long--arrived at about 1 PM and left when the auction started about 2:30 PM.  I probably missed all you folks because I was either looking up into the canopy or down at the palm signs.  I took my new camera but I didn't take a single shot--so many palms and people were overwhelming.

You will be pleased to know that the Trithrinax brasiliensis are doing great.  I'll have to take a photo and post it with the one I took of you in 2003.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Root competition is definitely a major issue at Ralph's place, and as Matt mentioned above, some palms may seem small for the amount of time they've been in the ground, but look healthy. I've observed that on a number of palms that I've planted too close to palms like Roystoneas and Clinostigmas with aggressive root systems. Those palms (the smaller ones) will be healthy but MUCH slower growing compared to a specimen in a different location with plenty of soil.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great photos, Ralph's place is a must see for anyone interested in growing palms in Cali.... So many mature palms, its just spectaclar!!!!

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Roystonea across the street about 35 feet tall overall.

post-126-1158602902_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Sep. 18 2006,14:08)

Roystonea across the street about 35 feet tall overall.

My dentist is in Fountain Valley.  After every appoint, I go to eat nearby in Brookhurst near Mile Square Park and I see that massive royal everytime.  I also see many other palms over the roofs of many houses.  I've often wonder that the owner of the palms must be a palm nut.  Well, this thread has verified that the owner is indeed a palm nut. :D

Thanks to everyone for posting all the fine photos -- I was there, but I forgot my camera. ???   I showed all your pix to my husband and explained that this is how our house will look in 20 years. :P  I also pointed out to him that despite the crowd of palms, not a single sidewalk, curb, or foundation was lifted because of palm roots (his continual worry).

Congratulations to Ralph Velez for getting something palmy done in Mile Square Park in spite of the usual bureaucracy.  I think that was a major victory on his part.  It's fun to see his whole neighborhood planted out with palms, the disease is spreading!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Well I picked a heck of a PSSC meeting to be my first ('bout time I got to one)!

Truly incredible checking out Ralph's rare palm beauties!

Some w/ so much trunk height and looking outstanding.

I agree w/ all the others on how it has changed my perspective on planting proximity. Nothing I have planted is to close together! Got pleeennnttyy of room for more palms (Yahoo! Yahooo!).  :P

Most excellent to meet all of you finally! Looking forward to seeing all of you again at the next gig. Hopefully I can get by to some of your cribs and check out what you've got goin on.

Following Matt in SD's thoughts on how small some palms seemed after many years in the ground in understory locations, one that caught my eye was the Howea belmoorenana by the driveway. I think it was planted in 80 or 82 and only had about a foot or so of wood trunk and an OAH of maybe 6'.  Definitely competition for food and water and the effects of  dense shade working on it and yet it still looked quite healthy.

Great job guys on posting all the pics! Deja vu!

Got my Dypsis pembana finally! And for free (new member gift)! Loving it. It might have been in a liner but stand back......this puppy is going to take off!

Peace!

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Now I've been rather impressed with the pictures the Palm Society of South Texas posts on thier site of their meetings, but that Palm Society of Southern California meeting looks pretty good too.

Great pictures everyone.

Lee

plink!  

I think this was a Chamaedorea costaricana x  w/ something...uh not sure...anyone remember this one?

post-126-1158704431_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(bgl @ Sep. 18 2006,13:39)

Root competition is definitely a major issue at Ralph's place, and as Matt mentioned above, some palms may seem small for the amount of time they've been in the ground, but look healthy. I've observed that on a number of palms that I've planted too close to palms like Roystoneas and Clinostigmas with aggressive root systems. Those palms (the smaller ones) will be healthy but MUCH slower growing compared to a specimen in a different location with plenty of soil.

Hmm.

Might explain why my Phoenix roebellinii reasoneri is poking along SO SLOWLY . . . . .

At the base of big mama Royal.

Time to get out the shovel . . . .

dave

(MattyB @ Sep. 19 2006,18:20)

plink!  

I think this was a Chamaedorea costaricana x  w/ something...uh not sure...anyone remember this one?

Hey Matty, The sign on that one said Pinanga Elmeri. Since I don't have one not sure but it was a very nice palm that caught my eye as well. Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Pinanga elmeri is not a valid name (synonym for P. philippinensis), but it does look like one. Here's one of mine for comparison.

post-22-1158711284_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I was holding out till the next meeting in San Diego to go to one of these.I'm kicking myself now.What a good time you all looked like you were having.All I did that day was pull weeds and mow the lawn what a JACKASS.

Shon

San Marcos CA

After seeing the palms and the good people , should have stayed an extra week and tagged along

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

(Shon @ Sep. 19 2006,18:48)

I was holding out till the next meeting in San Diego to go to one of these.I'm kicking myself now.What a good time you all looked like you were having.All I did that day was pull weeds and mow the lawn what a JACKASS.

Shon

UUmmmm......

Help me out here...are we supposed to argue?  :D

hey- lesson learned.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

MattyB, Steve from SD and Bo - here is the same plant (I mean literaly) - identified as the Pinanga elmeri (synonym), by a palmbob(?). I remember it as Pinanga but could not remember which species, but that was how it was labled. Good job Steve.

Pinanga elmeri - palmbob photo

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

A tremendous show of palms. Those Roystonea's are as tall and wide as any in Florida.It was also great to see all the Californian movie stars.Please keep those pictures coming!

What you look for is what is looking

Yeah, Paul's got a bunch of pics he hasn't posted.  Saving the best for last Paul?  Did you get that shot of me peeing in the bushes?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Here's a poor shot of a HUGE Sabal Mauritiaformis. I wish I could have captured the feel of the 8' plus leaves....

P9160004.jpg

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Where is this exactly?  Is this at someones house or is it a business?  Regardless, please let me know when the next one is happening in So Cal because I'll be there!

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

you can see Ralph's place - a private residence - in a rebroadcast of Huell Houser on KCET 9/25 (I think)

for meeting info scroll up higher this page and check the PSSC link

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Anyone take photos of the palms etc that were there for auction ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

100_1206.jpg

variegated rhapis e.

100_1211.jpg

close look at copernicia trunk

100_1212.jpg

& leaf

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."