IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pics from SoCal palm meeting

Kris

Here's one for you Deezpalms!  Pinanga speciosa, in fruit, growing in the greenhouse.  The top of the newest leaf is touching the roof, two stories up.  It's still in a 1 gallon pot with the back bursting out and the roots in the ground.

post-126-1158524089_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I had so much fun.  Nice to see everyone.  My tatoo was not exposed but Paul did pose next to some wood! :D

Peace!

post-126-1158524217_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Sep. 17 2006,16:13)

Kerridoxa elegans in Ralph's backyard.  It's in a pot so I don't know if he brings it in for the Winter but it's the first I've ever seen.  Sooooooo nice!

swooooooon!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

i must've taken 200 pics--i'll post some when i can but its the "redheads" birthday today.hank williams sr's,too!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(MattyB @ Sep. 17 2006,16:08)

Bob with a Rapidophyllum hystrix.  This thing is like 35 years old.  Slow, like your mom on a first date.

Matt, You can't possibly be talking about Louise. :o

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(Peter @ Sep. 17 2006,15:08)

Not a palm, but here's a cool Pandanus:IMG_6055.jpg

Peters pretty Pandanus pic posted is perfect, pressuming Peters a pro...probably...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(MattyB @ Sep. 17 2006,16:12)

- "Hey Danny, what ya got there?"

- "Arenga engl......ah damn it!"

Oh thats so Danny.  I can even hear him say it. I should call him up and hear it in person....Jk

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Thanks people, this is without doubt the best post I have seen/read on this board for a bloody long time. Don't matter if there's the same palm in someone else's photo, if it's captured from another camera, there's always something in the picture slighty different and interesting to observe.

This is the sort of meeting I wish we had here in Bris Vegas I can tell you. Well done.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It was very nice to meet a lot of you guys.  I was the guy letting a few people at a time in the green house.  I hope it did't get to crowded in there.  It was the biggest turn out that I have seen at a meeting in years.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

Thanks guys for sharing all the photos! Looks like you had a great time with everyone getting together. It's good to see the palm bug running rampant our there in So. Calif. Wish I was there!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(BigWaveDave @ Sep. 17 2006,21:03)

Acanthophoenix crinita to the left?

Dave,

Acanth. crinita ??? The big palm in the left side ? Are you sure?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Definitely not an Acanthophoenix. Looks like some sort of Phoenix.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great to have such a nice meeting guys.

For what I've seen at Darold Petty's garden, that young Parajubaea cocoides will soon turn into an impressive palm.

Now we understand why Danny Palmazon has taken no pictures...his hands were Arenga busy all the meeting long...

I can't wait to see my Wallichia disticha palms grow to that size... Thanks for the photos.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Dave!!!!! Big Wave Dave!!!! Dude, I totally missed you.  You must have been on the other side of the jungle. Oh, yeah I forgot I also saw Jeff from Trabuco Canyon and Jusitn (don't know if he posts here).  Oh, man I'm still swooning.  I'm showing my wife the overall pics of the lot trying to feel her out for how much I can get away with.  Don't know if it's a good idea to show her where this can all lead.

Here's a shot looking up into the canopy.  Notice the Coccothrinax in the middle w/ the crown about 20 feet in the air.  My eye kept running into the distinct woven pattern of Coccothrinax trunks and I'd have to follow it up to see how high the crown was.  There were several 20-25 footers!

post-126-1158546275_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

"mmmmmmm.....God make good plant.....mmmmmm....me like good plant."

post-126-1158546581_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(BigWaveDave @ Sep. 18 2006,11:00)

Latania loddigesii.  Planted July '80 1 gal

26 years ? Woo, lucky I am in brisbane I suppose. 26 years ? you sure ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Sep. 17 2006,16:35)

Thanks people, this is without doubt the best post I have seen/read on this board for a bloody long time. Don't matter if there's the same palm in someone else's photo, if it's captured from another camera, there's always something in the picture slighty different and interesting to observe.

This is the sort of meeting I wish we had here in Bris Vegas I can tell you. Well done.

Wal-I was there and I still think this thread is awesome. Its cool to see other peoples pics and views!   I have to DEVELOP mine, then I'll scan and post  (yes, I know, join civilisation soon, Bill)

If anyone else around the world has tours, please be sure to post.

Also, I sat next to Bob (palmgrover) and Kim (Kim) and her brother Alan Bricke, an occasional poster. Saw Fred (Fred in Zone 10) for a short time also.

By my count I saw at LEAST 16 board (posting) members that I could recognise!  Excellent turnout I'd say!  KEEP posting!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BigWaveDave @ Sep. 17 2006,20:55)

I was floored by this travelers palm.  I thought they were difficult here in so cal.

Not so hard to grow.

Mine's still alive.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(BigWaveDave @ Sep. 17 2006,21:10)

Veitchia arecina.  Planted September 1991, 2 gal.

Don't I weesh!

dave

I forgot to mention, nice shirt 'palmgrover', when is everyone else going to get with the program and bring out the alohas.

Was there any plant raffles, auctions etc. If so, what did we walk away with (so to speak) ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Sep. 16 2006,23:48)

Here's Steve from So-Cal impersonating an understory palm . . .

Thanks alot , Wal...I had my "wiian shirt on. You never notice me  :;):

After 25 + years shoeing horses, the 50 year old knees didn't want to let me up....thought I was permanent understory, for a while there.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(Wal @ Sep. 17 2006,20:20)

I forgot to mention, nice shirt 'palmgrover', when is everyone else going to get with the program and bring out the alohas.

Was there any plant raffles, auctions etc. If so, what did we walk away with (so to speak) ?

I saw a large grouping of palms in pots freshly placed on the "across the street" neighbors lawn (the one with the large Ravenela) and I understand she bought over $1000 worth of palms,etc.  at the auction.

I heard her tell Ralph he was gonna be busy at her place! lol

Kinda neat to have a bunch of neat palms "delivered" to your street. :D

I saw a Rav. Glauca, Latania Lod. , B. Hapala, Bismarkia, at least go thru the auction.

First event I've been to in 2 years that I didn't leave with a palm!! :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wal,

PSSC (SoCal) has six meetings a year, and they're rotated between the four counties (San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles and Ventura) and there's ALWAYS an auction after the garden tour(s). I never missed a single meeting, or an auction, when I lived there, and I understand the auctions are even better today with some larger specimens. These are great events!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

WOW! It looks like it was excellent! This must be something to definitely SWOOOON over!

I wish I could have been there, to meet all of you and see the incredible palms.

Thanks for sharing it here!

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18