Sign in to follow this  
Darold Petty

Pollen request

Darold Petty

I wish to obtain pollen from Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. Right now would be a good time! My plant of A. c. 'Illawara' flowers regularly, but has never developed pollen or seeds. I blame this failure on my year-round cool temperatures from 56-64 F. I wish to attempt the hybrid HedyscepexArchontophoenix. I anticipate Hedyscepe pistillate anthesis in about a week. If sucessful, I would share seeds with the pollen donor. Thanks!

Jim in Los Altos

Hi Darrold,

Five of my A cunninghamianna are almost always in flower/fruit. I have a few spathes that have popped open in the last few days and are beginning to bloom. Let me know if you're still interested in pollen.

Jim

richnorm
On 9/8/2009 at 1:10 PM, Darold Petty said:

I wish to obtain pollen from Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. Right now would be a good time! My plant of A. c. 'Illawara' flowers regularly, but has never developed pollen or seeds. I blame this failure on my year-round cool temperatures from 56-64 F. I wish to attempt the hybrid HedyscepexArchontophoenix. I anticipate Hedyscepe pistillate anthesis in about a week. If sucessful, I would share seeds with the pollen donor. Thanks!

Did it work Darold?!  I have Hedyscepe which has just dropped (some with encouragement) its male flowers and am thinking to put R. baueri pollen on the females.  Any idea how long it will likely take for pistillate anthesis and what to look for? cheers Richard

Darold Petty

Wow, a 12 year thread !  I never obtained any pollen, so nothing transpired.  I must confess that I have lost interest.  Please continue, Richard !  :greenthumb: 

Sometimes pistillate anthesis can be recognized by a tiny bit of clear liquid on the female parts.