IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Back from the jungle

Urban Rainforest

We just got back from another epic adventure to our little slice of paradise on the big island of Hawaii! We brought my son Ty this time and he was a good sport helping us in the garden (a little :lol: ) but he was rewarded with many snorkeling and hiking trips to Kona side and beyond. It was'nt all fun and games as we had not been there in a year and in Hawaii weeds grow at warp speed! Here is a Dypsis Decipiens That I planted last year buried in weeds.

post-351-1251871697_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

And unburied.

post-351-1251871857_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Find the Vellonia Alba :hmm: .

post-351-1251871953_thumb.jpg

This particular weed was eight feet tall and tough as nails! I was'nt sure there was still a palm in there but after doing some serious weeding I found her but alas very stunted due to root competetion. Vellonia Alba.

post-351-1251872161_thumb.jpg

Some of the palms made great gains in the last year though. Here is one that totally amazed me as a year ago it barely had a ring of trunk and now it has a foot of clear trunk that is 6" in dia. :drool: Here is a pic of Bentinckia Condapanna from one year ago.

post-351-1251872882_thumb.jpg

A close up of the trunkal region.

post-351-1251873065_thumb.jpg

And a couple of pics of the same palm 1 year later.

post-351-1251873204_thumb.jpg

Nice color on this one!

post-351-1251873296_thumb.jpg

And finally a pic of the fatty trunk :drool: .

post-351-1251873408_thumb.jpg

The other one that really surprised me was the Mad Fox. This thing had no pinnate fronds a year ago and now it has 6 and was opening a 7th as we left. I have it in a rather exposed area and the fronds are flawless and thick in texture. Here is a pic from one year ago.

post-351-1251873854_thumb.jpg

Here is a couple pics from one year later. It is about 3 ft. tall and has a 4" dia. base :drool: .

post-351-1251874055_thumb.jpg

Another showing the trunkal region.

post-351-1251874240_thumb.jpg

And one more pic showing the newest spear ready to open probably tommorow. Oh well I guess timing is everything :) .

post-351-1251874453_thumb.jpg

And that brings me to one of my other favs that blew up this year. Actually 2. Both of my Lemurs went from just under 3 ft. to 6 ft. in one year :blink: . Someone said these were slow :hmm: . Ckeck it out before.

post-351-1251874721_thumb.jpg

And one year later.

post-351-1251874872_thumb.jpg

The other one.

post-351-1251874963_thumb.jpg

And lots of color :drool: .

post-351-1251875065_thumb.jpg

Thats it for the before and after pics as I have to keep switching files but you get the idea of the crazy growth rates. Someone told me that it's like your best growing month in Cali. year round. I know you guys like the mo bigga mo betta Dypsis so here goes with a few. Dypsis Prestoniana 8 ft. tall.

post-351-1251875423_thumb.jpg

Da base.

post-351-1251875510_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Tsarovosira.

post-351-1251875593_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Carlsmithii 9 ft. tall.

post-351-1251875744_thumb.jpg

And Dypsis Pilulifera. Well, Im gonna hit the rack but to be continued for sure!

Later,

Stevo

post-351-1251875978_thumb.jpg

Steve,

it was great to see you and Steph again! And this is really deja vu - seems like I just saw all those palms! :lol: You must be thrilled with how they're doing!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Steve,

it was great to see you and Steph again! And this is really deja vu - seems like I just saw all those palms! :lol: You must be thrilled with how they're doing!

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo, It was great to see you and Karolyn as well! The deja vu thing is funny and yes I am very happy with the growth of my palms there. As you know my garden is still small and you can view the whole thing in about 10 min. :) . I was also very happy with the rain as we got a little every night and 2 nights it dumped! The funniest thing happened this morning and it happened when we bought the place and the owners told us it would happen is it poured rain for 10 min. on one side of the property while the other side was dry. Strange indeed :hmm: .

Take care,

Stevo

Great growth, only in Hawaii, wowza, thanks for posting..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Its almost worth buying property there just to get big Lemur's that grow unattended.... :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great growth, only in Hawaii, wowza, thanks for posting..

Thanks Wal, I'll post more later.

Stevo

Its almost worth buying property there just to get big Lemur's that grow unattended.... :blink:

Yeah, Lemurs and all the free water you could ever want... it's so worth it! After 3 of us being there for 2 weeks using the water for everything I checked our water catchment before we left and it was right at the overflow point!

Stevo

Hey Steve, thanks for the photos illustrating the rapid growth of your palms, I'm eating it up!! :blink: It's very exciting to see the strap-leaved Mad Fox morph into something completely different! Plus all the colorful bling planted around it, and the deep emerald green of the palm itself give me chills and make my heart race. :wub: I don't know if it's the pure rain, the sunshine, or what, but garden colors in Hawaii just flat out bowl me over.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hey Steve, thanks for the photos illustrating the rapid growth of your palms, I'm eating it up!! :blink: It's very exciting to see the strap-leaved Mad Fox morph into something completely different! Plus all the colorful bling planted around it, and the deep emerald green of the palm itself give me chills and make my heart race. :wub: I don't know if it's the pure rain, the sunshine, or what, but garden colors in Hawaii just flat out bowl me over.

Kim, I'm glad your enjoying the pics. The Mad Fox was the stunner for me too. It was like a butterfly coming out of it's coccoon :) . I can't take credit for all the bling as some of it was inherited but I did plant alot more this time to eat up some of the dirt so the weeds have less room to germinate. As far as the pics and vibrant colors the conditions change all the time over there so you almost have to be ready with your camera when the conditions are best. I'll post some more for ya.

Stevo

This is one I was told was fast but initially it was a little slow. This last year it shot up like a rocket! Pinanga Speciosa.

post-351-1251940877_thumb.jpg

And here is the reason I planted it. Deep purple crownshaft!

post-351-1251940969_thumb.jpg

Several of the palms that I planted first 2 years ago are near to trunking. The 3 Neoveitchia Storkii's I planted fall into this category. Here is one of my Neo's.

post-351-1251941359_thumb.jpg

Here is another.

post-351-1251941431_thumb.jpg

And here is one of the emerging crownshaft starting to show the black coloration that this species is so famous for :drool: .

post-351-1251941654_thumb.jpg

Another one of my favorites is Dypsis Saintlucei. This one planted last year has just about doubled in size.

post-351-1251941835_thumb.jpg

Beautifull white crownshaft.

post-351-1251941965_thumb.jpg

Whether in California or Hawaii, you seem to have knack for getting palms to crank out insane colorful glauscicity.

Edited by osideterry

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Whether in California or Hawaii, you seem to have knack for getting palms to crank out insane colorful glauscicity.

Terry, Thanks, but I don't believe it's anything magical that I do as much as these colorfull palms are the ones I seek. Especially the white Dypsis!

Stevo