IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has Sprung in southern hemi.

Walter John

The rain will be back soon Peachy.

Best regards

Tyrone

They have been telling us that for the last 20 years Tyrone. I think since I moved here in 1990, I have seen one proper wet season summer.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy, I know you're not in Brissie, and this 28 day forecast is for Brissie, but at least you know what may come your way soon.

Here's the link http://www.eldersweather.com.au/raindates.jsp?lc=q00

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Going for a thunderstorm today and for the next few days. Max's forecast to be high twenties to low thirties. Not bad for the west coast. It's blowing a gusty easterly wind at the moment which should die out if the thunderstorms get down here today. 28C and some rain would be most welcome. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Weird day yesterday. It didn't reach 28C. It barely reached 21C. It was totally cloudy threatening to rain all day. One minute the easterlies were howling, then they'd totally stop, then they'd howl, then stop. It went like that all day until we had some thunder and lightening and a drop of rain towards evening. Weird. The rain came down from the north.

Now it's sunny and blowing gusty easterlies again today, but not a cloud in the sky. Going for 32C today and an evening thunderstorm. I decided to take a break from my potting up activities in my nursery and go to the zoo with my wife, and just enjoy the day. I might take some palmy pictures. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Lucky you, Tyrone...

The humidity has risen again... hopefully the weather will deliver on Wednesday as predicted. It has been a BAD start to the wet this year... So HOT and DRY... even palms that have been in the ground for a year or so have been burnt in the sun. Oh well, hopefully it won't be long now until the rain starts to kick in.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think we've pulled the rain a bit further south Ari. There'a band of cloud from about Sumatra down to Perth at the moment. It's been a warm humid night and we're forecast to have thunderstorms today. It's cooler this week but rain every now and again. Should keep the humidity up and the temps mild and pleasant. Good for palms.

Best regards

Tyrone

Today is overcast and very muggy. At least the stinking wind has died down for a while. It has been very wearing. I have noticed a few ants around and the wild lorikeets are going insane. Also when watering yesterday the ground was holding 10 times as much water than it normally does and the tree frogs are kicking up a racket. All good indications that rain is around. Now it only has to fall. Found another baby lorikeet in the garden too. A rainbow this time. Can't say that Jasper is very impressed with his new room mate however. He definately doesn't have Jasper's nice nature either. I am hoping for a good rain fall, as I have many palms to plant when the ground becomes softer and diggable again. Its like trying to dig into concrete at the moment.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Well it was a weird day today with clouds that came down from the tropics up near Sumatra somewhere. We had a warm humid night after yesterday's 32C. This morning it was cloudy and humid, then it rained for most of the afternoon and we got around 24C. It was almost dead still when it rained. The palms are loving it. Spears opening everywhere. Everything is all fresh and you can smell the Eucalypts and tropical flowers that have opened the blossoms. It doesn't normally happen like this here. Perfectly mild humid weather.

Tyrone

The humidity is long gone and it's VERY dry. Blowing gusty easterlies which are very dry when they get to the west coast unlike the east coast where they bring humidity and rain. Dewpoints as low as -3.1C today with temps in the mid twenties. Everything is drying out very quickly. I've had to put the retic on but with such low dewpoints the temp drop is quite savage.

Higher temps and higher humidity and rain forecast for later in the week.

Best regards

Tyrone

Had a bit of rain last week, although it is drying up again today :angry: . This is definitely unusual... usually we would get afternoon storms quite regularly by now... Oh well, what can you do??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Weather has been mixed with little rain and lots of sunny cloudy days but warm. Iam in the garden with music and doing what I do best.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I think it's going to be a bit of an unusual season this year. So far this year has been a bit out of the ordinary. I seem to see a pattern emerging in the synoptics on the west coast in the last month. The pattern is a high sitting in the Bight (not unusual) but lows and cutoff lows originating in the tropics sliding down rather quickly from the north behind the high sucking in tropical moisture from places like the tropical Indian Ocean below Sumatra. The effect is a dry low humidity spell as the easterlies blow over the west coast, then the temp climbs, then the high disappears to the east, the winds drop, the temp stays up, clouds roll in from the North and NW, and we seem to be getting the odd thunderstorm and mega high humidity for the dry old west. Then we get winds directly from over the ocean blowing in more humidity and low cloud, then the next high moves in, the winds swing southerly and temps drop, the seabreeze gets quite strong and the air dries out as the seabreeze becomes a SE land breeze, and the pattern starts again. These patterns seem to last around 7 to 10 days. What's unusual is the low pressure zones sucking in enough moisture to create rain and humidity.

I'm not complaining, although the dry easterlies are a real pain.

Best regards

Tyrone

It is so weird that south of my place got hail yesterday... as big as 20cents pieces... Now, that is weird!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hail near Darwin. :blink:

That means that there has been some cold air in the higher atmosphere around Darwin, or the thunderstorm that produced it had a cloud mass that went extremely high, more than normal. If Darwin gets hail what hope have we got down here. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

One days worth of rain out of a promised week of it, then 6 days of wind to dry it all out again. I am so tired of spending my days hosing. So many other worthwhile things to do beside sitting on the end of a hose and figuring out how many litres to give each plant. Keep the hail up there too Ari, it gets to the size of canteloupe (rockmelons) here on occasion as you may remember. If I dont get good rain soon, I will never get all these palms in the ground and I cant keep up this hosing caper much longer either. I think I might sense a clear out sale on the not so distant horizon and wait for better (as in wetter) times before I get back into anything rain dependant.

Peachy

27.35 south.

It's kinda strange but I have to say our October month was warmer then average, like almost every month. It's going to be almost normal that the months are above average. October was 2.3°C warmer then the normal average for the month october. Our yearaverage till today is 10.7°C what means this year going to be much warmer then the normal year average from 9.7°C.

Last week we have got some good autemm weather with temperature between the 15-17°C during the days and 7-11°C during the nights. However we defitnely going to winter, this week temperature are dropping to 10-12°C during the days and about 5-8°C during the nights.

So far, so good no frost and even my brugmansia's are still happy flowering in the garden.

Southwest

We got some rain yesterday, complete with thunder and lightning.... It was so active that one of the lightning actually hit a tree in our neighbour's property. So, we were watching it very closely as we were worried it might get blown over to our property. Luckily, the rain kicked in and put it out... It must be very loud where they are, because it freaked me and the cats out...

We get around 16mm from that... just enough to wet everything down... This morning, everything looks so much happier. Hopefully we can get a repeat performance today.

Peachy,

It will happen... don't sell them all yet.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That's a bit close Ari.

It supposed to be 34C and thunderstorms tomorrow. Should get nice and humid. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

7 a.m. and its actually hot. This could be a good sign of rain to come. Lucky near miss Ari. My house was hit last year, blew up both TVs (and both new ones too) but the saftey switches saved everything else. Apparently some of the lightning current went through antenna cables. Must have been a big one, the house next door was blacked out too. Doesnt it make a horrible noise ? Exotic Life, I have brugmansias too. I always confuse the names of them and brunsfelsia. I know I have both. It was 34 here yesterday, didnt feel like that in my yard however, its so shady now and there was a constant cool breeze coming up from the river. Supposed to be the same today but I hope not. First time ever, I finally got my hydrangeas to flower and they look so gorgeous but in the heat I have to water them every couple of hours or they wilt. The driveway is a solid concrete slab alongside the house, 3 metres wide and 34 metres long and radiates heat like you wouldnt believe. This year a lot of the small trees between the drive and the fence (about 0.5 metre) are tall enough and spread enough to give it a bit of shade and the effect is noticable. All those years of scraping the side of the car on developing fronds are paying dividends at last. Another day hosing is ahead of me.......... :angry:

Peachy

27.35 south.

A totally filthy day. 38 degrees in the shade. (although I could have sworn it wasnt a tad over 37.9) I just had to suffer it in 20 minute sessions hosing whatever was on the verge of keeling over. Then bolt back into the A/C for half an hour to recuperate. Supposed to be a storm late tomorrow, here's hoping its only a rain storm. I guess this must mean its the official start to the suicide season again.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy, we are never satisfied with the weather us palmophiles. :D Only a few months ago we were screaming about the cold. But I can totally sympathise.

It got to a tad over 34C yesterday with heavy cloud cover. I planted out a clients garden in it and I was knackered at the end. We even got some rain for a few minutes last night just to juice it up a bit. It's cloudy and 29C today and maybe even a thunderstorm.

Best regards

Tyrone

Today is perfect !! The poochie babies are asleep on their bean bags, the birdie boys are asleep on their swings and perches, I am sprawled on the bed and its a cool 24 degrees. Bliss! Outside of course, its blazing hot, blowing a gale and rotten as it can get. But guess what ? I dont care. I felt so sick yesterday after being out in the heat that today is rest or die. Heat and MS do not mix, thats a documented medical fact, but this heat knocks everyone flat almost. Hopefully the plants will be okay till late afternoon when hopefully its cool enough to hose.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Rest up Peachy, especially if you have a medical condition.

We just had some rain, big fat chubby rain. :) Everything is all humid now. It's 30C roughly and everything is wet and now the sun has come out. The coconut is very happy now I'm sure.

There's more coming on the radar in the next couple of hours. Tomorrow is meant to be wet too. Gotta love this.

Best regards

Tyrone

This is for you Michael, or anyone else who feels sun deprived. :D

There's some nasty looking thunderstorms moving in on Brisbane on the BOM radar.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

There's some nasty looking thunderstorms moving in on Brisbane on the BOM radar.

Tell me about it darling, I have been in the middle of it for nearly 3 hours. Going to be one hell of mess outside to clean up. BUT....at least it wil be a wet mess. Terrible thunder and lightning, so loud that my ears buzz after the big ones. The rain has been absolutely pouring down. Don't know how much good it does when its so heavy. It just seems to run off. Hopefully when all the storms have passed over, the rain will stay but be steady, not like a carwash.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Yeah, pretty bad here too...the rain is very welcome. I like window rattlers.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

it is raining there now, isn't it Daryl?? I was watching your radar a while ago... Looks much better than ours :rolleyes:

p.s. ignore my comment... sorry... didn't read peachy's post... I love those kind of storm... Send it over when you are done.

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Not bad weather here. I love this time of year.

Forecast for Monday

A mostly sunny day. Light E/SE winds, tending moderate to fresh SW'ly in the

afternoon.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Min 11 Max 28

Mandurah: Min 13 Max 26

UV Alert: 8:10 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: LOW-MODERATE

Hills: LOW-MODERATE

Tuesday Humid change, cloud increasing. Min 16 Max 28

Wednesday Cloudy. Min 14 Max 32

Thursday Cloudy possible shower. Min 17 Max 30

Friday Cloudy, shower or two. Min 18 Max 26

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 27

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 28

49mm last night... Woohoo!! That's more like it. I hope a repeat performance tonight... or even a bit less is welcome..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

In the big storm we had 70 mm in the first hour alone. My gauge overflowed after that. Been getting good rain though ever since. Today was showers but very long ones, and with good falls in them. The palms look bigger already, and those spears that have been sitting there for weeks are starting to show signs of opening now. Got a lot to get in the ground, but the ground is very very sticky and will be like digging into chewy. Got a bit of the mess cleared away but I am going to have to wait for visitors to help me with bizzie fronds and a few huge spathes from the old queen palms. Lost one of the baby lorikeets too. I don't handle things like that very well at all.

Peachy

27.35 south.

In the big storm we had 70 mm in the first hour alone. My gauge overflowed after that. Been getting good rain though ever since. Today was showers but very long ones, and with good falls in them. The palms look bigger already, and those spears that have been sitting there for weeks are starting to show signs of opening now. Got a lot to get in the ground, but the ground is very very sticky and will be like digging into chewy. Got a bit of the mess cleared away but I am going to have to wait for visitors to help me with roystonea fronds and a few huge spathes from the old queen palms. Lost one of the baby lorikeets too. I don't handle things like that very well at all.

Peachy

Edited by peachy

27.35 south.

In the big storm we had 70 mm in the first hour alone. My gauge overflowed after that. Been getting good rain though ever since. Today was showers but very long ones, and with good falls in them. The palms look bigger already, and those spears that have been sitting there for weeks are starting

27.35 south.

Phew :drool: we have gone from 16-19c temps to 30c on Sunday and 34c today ,,,,,great palm growing temps !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

In the big storm we had 70 mm in the first hour alone. My gauge overflowed after that. Been getting good rain though ever since. Today was showers but very long ones, and with good falls in them. The palms look bigger already, and those spears that have been sitting there for weeks are starting to show signs of opening now. Got a lot to get in the ground, but the ground is very very sticky and will be like digging into chewy. Got a bit of the mess cleared away but I am going to have to wait for visitors to help me with bizzie fronds and a few huge spathes from the old queen palms. Lost one of the baby lorikeets too. I don't handle things like that very well at all.

Peachy

Sorry to hear Peachy... I guess that is why we need men every now and then... I hope things will dry up a little for you... Unfortunately, when it rains it pours...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We need men ? That's news to me. I seem to have managed quite well for the last few years without one. (apart from the odd fairy to give me a new hair-do or alter the hems on outfits) I usually find them more of a hindrance than a help. Besides, if I was cooking, washing socks and ironing shirts when would I have time for my palms ? No Ari, they can drown the bloody lot of them as far as I am concerned.

Single Girl Peachy

Edited by peachy

27.35 south.

Yes... I do cook, wash & clean... but I don't iron... He irons his own shirts!!! Lucky me...lol

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"