IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has Sprung in southern hemi.

Walter John

The forecast rain for today has turned into a light misty drizzle that isnt even washing off the dust. It's just enough to make it too cold and unpleasant to stay outdoors. I need some good heavy rain to soften up the ground so I can get some planting done. The potted babies are starting to reach alarming proportions and there are more to arrive here next week. I think I need to get one of those little digging machines the construction workers use to dig ditches. Anyone know of one going cheap ?

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Why don't you just rent those mini digger for the weekend and dig all your holes at one... :winkie:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This has to be the coldest spring i can remember been below 20c constantly . Went on a powerboat sealife cruise down the rugged south east today and the breeze off the water was Arctic !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

It got so cold today I had to come inside and put the heating on. The drizzle turned into a couple of hours of decent rain, at last, but did it have to turn so damned cold as a result ? Ari, if I knew how to work one of those things I probably would rent one, although getting it home in the boot of Tojo's Revenge might be a bit tricky. ^_^

Peachy

27.35 south.

The weather is going in the right direction now. Warmer and warmer. :D

Tuesday Fine. Min 8 Max 22

Wednesday Fine. Min 10 Max 24

Thursday Fine. Min 12 Max 26

Friday Fine. Min 13 Max 28

Saturday Fine. Min 13 Max 30

Sunday Fine. Min 14 Max 32

BBQ weather is here for the weekend. Yes!!!!

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Since I am in the southern hemisphere I relate to you folks in OZ more than those up north. The rest of Brazil is really more in tune with your seasons than where I live. But, we are at the change of seasons from the equatorial southern hemisphere summer into the winter. Or, the transition to the rainy season. Which I am becoming more an more anxious to see arrive. It rained this afternoon which was great. In the morning I stopped off at the beach with my son for a dip. We went up to my wifes sisters place a short trip up the Negro River. The rest of the family went up to the village where she lives and Caio and I stayed at the beach for a few hours and then caught a boat there. It is only 15 minutes from Manaus. It was a great summers morning at the beach. We are still in the same hemisphere. Just a little bit of difference in latitude.

Praia da Lua Beach ( Moon Beach) Looking up the Negro River this morning.

PraiadaluaOct11.jpg

Caio enjoying the water.

Praiadaluacaio11oct.jpg

Looking back at the city from Praia da Lua beach this morning. This is one of the best times of the year for the beach here.

Praiadaluabeachoct11morning.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don't you worry about those fish that swim up your.........? ahem.

Also piranhas?

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

A mate comes up here from Canberra to spend winter in the tropics . He left last week to escape the heat , and ... it snowed at home .. yes spring in the ACT isn't it marvelous ?

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Last night's misty drizzle finally turned into a reasonable downpour at last !!!!! Unlike yesterday though, today was very hot...so I have to dig out about 4 different outfits to wear before I eventually find out what kind of day its going to be. Still getting the nasty wind in the afternoons however. My new palms from Utopia were delivered today, so I spent a bit of time making some big holes to plant them in, until it got just too hot to continue. They have all had a good drink and are in the carport (the old emergency shade house) awaiting the day I finally get enough holes to have a planting session.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The dust was finally rinsed off properly last night, with about 10-15mls I would have thought. More rain predicted this afternoon but a return to dust again from tomorrow. The whole weather pattern is weird, I'm still lucky where I am though, closer to the coastline/bay.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Also piranhas?

I have heard stories, but never met anyone who had the experience. I have caught candiru fish with bait though. They are ugly little fellows. Supposedly in the Negro River there are what they call needle candiru which can swim up very small holes in the body. But, once again I have never met anyone which was so unlucky. And, people spend a lot of time in the river here with no apparent problems. I love to swim in the Negro River. There are also anacondas and caimans, as well as a lot of piranhas. We are not on the piranhas food chain. None of them are really a problem. At least as far as I have seen so far. I think that the beaches in Australia have a lot more nasties lurking about.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Some amazing pictures there Don.

You're right about the dangers in Australia Don. Just on the news tonight were two large white pointers off the beach here in Perth only a couple of hundred metres out feeding on a whale carcass. And to think, back in the early nineties I used to be down the beach swimming past midnight in the summer. It was so cool in the surf when you couldn't see the wave until it was right on you. I wouldn't do it now though. I'm not that crazy.

The weather looks like it has just shifted gear. The min's have taken a quick leap up too. I'm looking forward to the humid Sunday forecast.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 9 Max 23

Mandurah: Min 11 Max 21

UV Alert: 8:40 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Thursday Fine. Min 11 Max 27

Friday Fine. Min 14 Max 29

Saturday Fine. Min 15 Max 32

Sunday Fine, humid change developing. Min 16 Max 28

Monday Cloudy periods. Min 13 Max 25

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 23

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It gets even better. It could make 37C on Sat. Which may be too hot.

Forecast for Thursday

Fine. E/SE winds, fresh about the hills in the morning, shifting S/SW'ly during

the afternoon and freshening near the coast.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 11 Max 27

Mandurah: Min 12 Max 24

UV Alert: 8:40 am to 3:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Friday Fine. Min 13 Max 29

Saturday Fine. Hot. Min 15 Max 34

Sunday Fine. Humid change. Min 17 Max 28

Monday Cloudy periods, mainly fine. Min 13 Max 24

Tuesday Fine. Min 11 Max 23

Wednesday Fine. Min 11 Max 24

We had winter that didn't seem to end, then two weeks of spring, then summer.

The coconut will be out on Friday.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

It looks like it is heating up there. Here in our area the indications are that we are continuing the slip into the rainy season which is known as our winter. Even though it technically is summer. As you can see from this map the western part of Amazonas is getting plenty of moisture, it is blue, and we are in the path of more water, green. The skies have more clouds and although it can hit 37 C around the city the heat is not so oppressive.

mapatempo13oct.gif

For Brazil as whole summer is on it´s way. There are stll cold fronts coming in from Argentina though. And, it continues to rain in the southeast as humid air from Amazonia gets pumped in. The cold ocean current running along the southern coast is also a factor in the regions weather.

brasil_prev1_menor.gif

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Another dry surge here :rolleyes: ... I know it is only October... but I am really annoyed at the weather so far!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another dry surge here :rolleyes: ... I know it is only October... but I am really annoyed at the weather so far!!

No rain here in Jakarta either Ari... so you might be waiting a little while longer yet. Plenty of dark menacing clouds in the afternoon/evening and 35C or so..but none of the wet stuff. Patience is a virtue.

:lol:

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

My cousins said that it has been raining in Jakarta... maybe not where you are...???

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

32C and dry today. It's windy, with strong dry easterlies now at 11pm. 35C tomorrow. I have a feeling 37,38C is more likely, then a humid change. Only two weeks ago we had the heater going and we were barely reaching 20C. I've got the sprinklers going in the "rainforest" like crazy trying rehydrate before tomorrow.

Best regards

Tyron

38 deg today!!! If it doesn't rain very soon... I am going to scream!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

37C dry and windy today. What a shock to the system. Almost as hot as Darwin.

I'm making my own rain at the moment. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Nice and cool and humid this morning. 20C and 80% RH. It peaked at 90% RH earlier. Palms will be loving this.

Tyrone

Darwin weather is doing 'funny' thing... (not funny ha ha, unfortunately...). Yesterday max was 37.7deg with 14% humidity... yikes... the bore was on and we were watering like crazy. Last night min however was 18.4deg!!! WHAT THE????? I felt like we were back in July again. Hopefully it won't be any repeat today... the garden has gone through enough...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, you had almost exactly what we had on Sat.

When you have low humidity periods, are they followed by some high humidity?

Yesterday we didn't drop below 60% RH most of the day, and now it's cloudy cool and humid, but still warm enough for things to kick along nicely.

Best regards

Tyrone

It should VERY high humidity this time of the year... It should be very unpleasant for us at the moment.... :hmm: It has been very weird...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Finally a little rain . looks like it may settle in a give us light showers all day .

Just noticed yesterday my Metroxolyn had its newest leaf fried to the max .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I'm glad you folks down under are finally getting your warm season. Hope you get the heat we had on this side of the globe. I'm dreading the coming 5 to 6 months of chill and little growth...but it has to happen.

Make sure you post lots of pics to keep me stoked!

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Finally a little rain . looks like it may settle in a give us light showers all day .

Everything is fried to the max at the moment... Michael..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Not good. I hope you get some rain, cloudiness and humidity soon.

Best regards

Tyrone

Nice consistent weather, without any extreme spikes in temp at least for the next week and gradually warming. :)

Forecast for Wednesday

Fine. Moderate SE'ly winds tending SW'ly in the afternoon, fresh on the coast.

Precis: Fine, sunny.

City: Min 11 Max 25

Mandurah: Min 12 Max 25

Thursday Fine, becoming cloudy. Min 12 Max 25

Friday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 26

Saturday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 27

Sunday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 27

Monday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 29

Tyrone

The dust was finally rinsed off properly last night, with about 10-15mls I would have thought. More rain predicted this afternoon but a return to dust again from tomorrow. The whole weather pattern is weird, I'm still lucky where I am though, closer to the coastline/bay.

Wal, is your avatar a photo of the dust storm that occurred several weeks ago?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Also piranhas?

I have heard stories, but never met anyone who had the experience. I have caught candiru fish with bait though. They are ugly little fellows. Supposedly in the Negro River there are what they call needle candiru which can swim up very small holes in the body. But, once again I have never met anyone which was so unlucky. And, people spend a lot of time in the river here with no apparent problems. I love to swim in the Negro River. There are also anacondas and caimans, as well as a lot of piranhas. We are not on the piranhas food chain. None of them are really a problem. At least as far as I have seen so far. I think that the beaches in Australia have a lot more nasties lurking about.

dk

Yeah, like jelly fish & sea snakes! Yikes :o

Thanks for the photo of Manaus from the river beach. Looks like a fairly large city.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

No... not sea snakes... just crocodiles & sharks...lol

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

No... not sea snakes... just crocodiles & sharks...lol

And Blue Ringed Octopus, Stonefish, Irikanji, Box Jelly...lovely!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

You forgot the coneshell. It will have you dead in seconds. Pretty little shell too.

Best regards

Tyrone

The forecast just gets better and better. I like the fact that there is a humid change happening regularly. Generally peaking somewhere between 80-95% early morning and not dropping below 55% during the day. I think after the horrible extended winter we've had, this growing season is going to be a good one.

Forecast for Thursday

Fine, becoming cloudy in the afternoon. Moderate E/SE'ly winds tending S/SW'ly

by noon, freshening near the coast.

Precis: Fine, becoming cloudy.

City: Min 12 Max 25

Mandurah: Min 13 Max 23

Friday Fine, sunny. Min 13 Max 26

Saturday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 28

Sunday Cloudy, but fine. Min 16 Max 31

Monday Fine, sunny. Min 17 Max 32

Tuesday Fine, humid change. Min 17 Max 27

Best regards

Tyrone

What a filthy day today was. 33, and a nice strong dessicating wind to go with it. I tried to fill one of the cracks in the ground with water but after 10 minutes I got fed up with it and stopped, must be a deep one. Most of the palms have new spears/leaves popping out all over the place too so it had better hurry up with the precipitation. Being a clever woman, I had orders in for some palms and seedlings, only realised today that they will both arrive tomorrow and I have to be out for half of the day !!!!! I can see myself now out in that rotten late afternoon wind on my knees potting up poor little seedlings that spent the day in a box on the porch. Also I have seeds soaking that are ready to be put in the germination mix. (yes I finally took the plung) God must be a man. A woman would have provided at least 35 hours in a day.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The rain will be back soon Peachy.

Best regards

Tyrone

The rain will be back soon Peachy.

Best regards

Tyrone

They have been telling us that for the last 20 years Tyrone. I think since I moved here in 1990, I have seen one proper wet season summer.

Peachy

27.35 south.