IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has Sprung in southern hemi.

Walter John

Cool overnight showery start to Spring here. Days are glorious as per, and it looks like some rains end of the week and beginning of next so all in all, a great start. May this be a bountiful palm quarter.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yeah I agree Wal-may it be palm heaven on Earth!

Got to the office at 08:00 and it was alrady 29c. Flippin cooking. Cooling off tomorow and hopefully some RAIN!!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Winter is still here. Blimmin freezing today. But the forecast has a few 20C days in it, so we're just starting to turn the corner here.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

21 today.

16 tomorrow and rain. Blaaaaaaaaaggghhhh

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The first rain of the season tonight!!! Yiippeeeeee!! I had enough of the dry and now, we are getting into the good stuff.... Grow garden grow... it makes me glad that I have started fertilising already...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

To all of our Southern Hemisphere friends;

Have a bountiful Spring!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Thanks John. When the weather warms up, the spirit soars. :)

Well we're still in a warm winter mode at the moment. Yesterday didn't quite reach 20C and was windy, then around night fall it bucketed down, and by 9pm the clouds had gone, the fog was out and the temperature dropped. The good thing is the clouds have stayed away this morning so it's bright and sunny, but the wind isn't coming from a northerly direction, so we may only just scrape 20C today. We're in a persistent westerly southwesterly air stream for about a week, which means cold fronts and rain from time to time but no real spring warm up. What I wouldn't give for a few 25C days.

Best regards

Tyrone

Can't say for the BNE people, but down here on the coast it wasn't too bad. We just had a bit of lightning and thunder, along with about 10mm of rain...no wind at home...so good for the garden!

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

No storm probs, just a lovely dollop of rain though. The next few mornings are going cold again. Can't work it out.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Blowing a gale here. Possibility of 125kph wind gusts in a westerly stream and showers. Not exactly cold at night with all the wind. Min around 13.5C but the max is pretty lame. 18C :(

Spring aint here yet. :(

Tyrone

Not to bad here with highs of 20C and nights of 6C they say its going to get in the upper 20's for the weekend and early part of next week.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Dry spell now, and this may stay like this for a long while to come unfortunately.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

First lick of Spring for Melbourne.....25C for the next two days, before falling again. Very strong winds due here tomorrow.... September is like that here. More stable weather arrives in October. Hopefully approx 15mm of rain on Sunday...Stage 4 water restrictions looming for summer here. :unsure:

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

After a few warm days and nights its gone back to normal for this time of year. Days in the mid 20s and freezing nights. 3 degrees last night and 2 the night before . Silly me was sucked in to thinking the cold nights were over with and so had put a lot of stuff outside. I am going to have a huge compost heap this year. On plus side we had a couple of really good soakings and for once the ground was so soft I have been able to dig holes big enough for the all the 350 mm pots that were in desperate need of planting. Usually I have to pay someone to come in and make the holes for me in the large sizes. With the weather being so treacherous though, I am only planting the hardier things and those going into a sheltered spot. More cold nights forecasted so I have to cross my fingers that they dont eventuate or are as bad as expected.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

First lick of Spring for Melbourne.....25C for the next two days, before falling again. Very strong winds due here tomorrow.... September is like that here. More stable weather arrives in October. Hopefully approx 15mm of rain on Sunday...Stage 4 water restrictions looming for summer here. :unsure:

Regards

Michael.

Melbourne's getting better weather than Perth. Rain and horrendous wind today. Nothing above 21C for the forseeable future. I'm getting really sick of this bad weather. Nights aren't that cold though, but days are not much higher than the nights and wet. Hedyscepe's Rhopalostylis and my Oraniopsis's are happy though.

Best regards

Tyrone

We have been getting rain... hit and miss though for this time of the year... a drop here and 10mm there... lol. But, I can see that the plants really appreciate whatever drop of rain that we get. Even though, they are irrigated, they much rather prefer rain :blink: . I can't wait for the 'real growth'. It won't be long now...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well, the weather here can be described with a four letter F word. FOUL.

Nearly got blown away at the nursery today. Rain going sideways every 15 minutes, made work extremely difficult. The nursery is under water, cold and miserable, and I ended the day saturated, miserable and wanting to do the weather man harm. When it pelted down all you could do is run to the shed, and watch the gumtrees get blown apart. Cold and wet aint good for tropical plants. If we don't get some warm 25C dry weather soon, some stock will go backwards. You wouldn't think that water was a precious commodity at the moment. It's laying everywhere. The drains, rivers and lakes are all up. But we'll be told in summer that we don't get much rain anymore and we must grow green concrete because that's good for the environment. :(

I'm going to have a drink.

Tyrone

That weather sounds miserable Tyrone. We are having nice QLD weather here, but funnily, it would be nice to get some more rain here and warmer nights.

Saturday Fine Min 11 Max 26

Sunday Fine Min 12 Max 26

Monday Fine Min 12 Max 27

Tuesday Mostly fine Min 13 Max 26

Wednesday Mostly fine Min 12 Max 26

Thursday Mostly fine Min 12 Max 26

Friday Fine. Min 14 Max 29

Is is just me or do Mediterranean climates have later seasons? It seems that your autumns last longer than east coast at similar latitudes, but your springs also start later as well. This seems to happen every year in WA, and also in California.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

If I can send the warmth down to you guys, I would... Definitely warm up here now...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Daryl,

Yes, I have read that the seasons are later over in Perth.

regards, Phil

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

That weather sounds miserable Tyrone. We are having nice QLD weather here, but funnily, it would be nice to get some more rain here and warmer nights.

Saturday Fine Min 11 Max 26

Sunday Fine Min 12 Max 26

Monday Fine Min 12 Max 27

Tuesday Mostly fine Min 13 Max 26

Wednesday Mostly fine Min 12 Max 26

Thursday Mostly fine Min 12 Max 26

Friday Fine. Min 14 Max 29

Is is just me or do Mediterranean climates have later seasons? It seems that your autumns last longer than east coast at similar latitudes, but your springs also start later as well. This seems to happen every year in WA, and also in California.

Daryl

Yes, I think you're right Daryl. The seasons seem to be almost 1 month out at the moment, and they seem to be going further out of sync every year. To give you an example, on June 1, beginning of winter we had a warm 26C day. The rain didn't start until the 3rd week of June. We may not see a 26C spring day until October. I've noticed that here in the west a switch gets flicked on for Spring around the second week of October, somewhere between Oct 8-12 and you are almost, but not completely guaranteed to not see any max below 20C until about May the next year. By the end of Oct it's all warm and balmy and the palms know it.

But around May-June Perth has weather not unlike SE QLD at times, but by late July SE QLD has warmed up a tad, and SW WA has got bogged in winter, and doesn't pull out until Sept. After that Perth is a good 6-8 weeks behind SE QLD until Jan Feb when Perth exceeds SE QLD average max's. By March, April we have similar max's and around the cycle goes again. We are always cooler than SE QLD at night on average due to the different latitude, which helps with some palms but not others of course. SE QLD's humidity is to be envied too. :)

I think I should move over.

Best regards

Tyrone

Still cool and wet here. We've only had one rainless day this Sept so far. The good news is the 28 day rain forecast says the tap turns off on Sep 22 and then no rain for the forseeable forecast period (to Oct 13). I don't know if that's a good thing either, but at least the sun will be out.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just took a look at Perth's water supply, and even though the suburbs are technically below average rainfall (you wouldn't think it) the catchments have had above average rainfall. Perth's dams are at 49.1% and rising rapidly. They haven't been that high in over a decade. Some dams are 80 and 90% full. Even if it stopped raining now and didn't start again until May 2010, and assuming Perth uses the same amount of water as previous years, we'd still enter next winter with more water in the dams than for at least the last decade.

http://www.watercorporation.com.au/D/dams_storage.cfm

So with that realisation, I give the weather permission to stop raining. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

In my part of the Southern Hemisphere the summer grinds on. It has been from 35 to 40 C everyday with very little rain. El Niño seems too be in full force. Down south in Brazil the rains have started and in many areas they are way above normal in percipitation. I am in the southern hemisphere I guess only nominally though since the equatorial region works on a bit different regime. I am starting to long for the rainy season to arrive. That should be in about 60 days or so.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hi Guys

Ty-that weather is terrible! Believe me we havent had it much better. While the temps are nice the wind has been hammering the $%$ out of us. I cant recall having this much wind in Sept (even though this is our windy month). We have been having very strong SW winds about 3 times a week, I am guessing the same systems strenthen over the Southern ocean once they leave us and then give you guys down under a rev!

Come on Summer!!!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Great spring here !

Has been a cool winter with temps in the low 20's C and blankets at night.

Monday poured down 12 inches of rain and the last few days have seen many new palms planted here.

Raining gently but steady tonight and all the plants are loving it after our bluster tradewind season when it blew for a week at a time on a few occasions with constant 25 knots and gusts to 40 knots. Hard on everything and takes the humidity away and dries things out for some weeks.

Definitely the feel of summer on the way.

Here's wishing all a good one with nothing too excessive.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

I've written September off. :(

Forecast for Thursday evening

Cloudy. Shower or two, increasing later this evening. Moderate to fresh NW'ly

winds, gusty towards midnight.

Precis: Shower or two, increasing later.

Forecast for Friday

Showers easing to a shower or two in the early morning. Moderate W/SW winds,

fresh in the early morning.

Precis: Early showers, easing.

City: Min 12 Max 18

Mandurah: Min 12 Max 16

UV Alert: 9:30 am to 2:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 6 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Saturday Chance of a light shower. Min 9 Max 19

Sunday Showery periods. Min 10 Max 18

Monday Showers, windy. Min 11 Max 16

Tuesday Few showers. Min 10 Max 17

Wednesday Shower or two. Min 10 Max 18

Thursday Chance of a shower. Min 9 Max 19

regards

Tyrone

Its typical spring weather here......warm to hot days and bloody cold nights. Mainly around 4 or 5 but down to 2 a couple of nights last week and the week before. I am losing a few seedlings and very young palms but noticed today that even my Arenga pinnatas new spear that was just opening has withered up too. The heat makes them start growing and the cold seems to kill them so I will be glad when the nights are warmer. We are getting a few cold winds as well in the late afternoon that have a real chill in them still. Very dry here, some rain is badly needed. I am wasting so much time hand watering now and by the time I get around and finish one area its time to move on to the next. At least the ground now is absorbing all the water I can give it, a nice change from the water just bouncing off the surface.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Spring here has been great in fact late winter was unusually warm with some days reaching 30C with warm nights. So far September has been in the mid to upper 20C and warm nights. Iam a bit concerned though with the lack of rain as the ground is starting to dry out and water is to expensive to start watering this early in spring.

Tyrone your weather systems that are hammering you with cold wet winds all but fizzle out by the time they reach the midnorth coast, we get the wind briefly maybe afew hours and its all over and back to the warm northerly winds. This is going to be a good growing season particularly if we get plenty of rain during the summer months.

Tyrone how is your coconut copeing with the weeks of cloudy, cold, wet and windy weather? Has it spotted much? You keep it in an enclosure of plastic which should help, but you will fine it will have a slow start to spring. Have you thought about putting in a 60W bulb just to give it some relief from the shitty weather?

Hope your weather improves in the days to come.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Thanks Mike.

The coconut is holding up well, but it needs some warmth soon. The leaves on the outside of the enclosure have yellowed a bit with a couple of those black cold marks. It's still pushing a spear. Luckily, even on our worst crappiest days there are periods of sunshine, and the coconut gets into the 30's when that happens. It strange at the moment, the sun when it pokes out has a sting to it, but the wind is cold because it's coming from the wrong direction to be of any help. The coconut gets almost none of the cold wind as it's protected from the house, so when the suns out, it's a bit of a heat sink area. It's very hot in summer in it's spot. You can't stand there for too long in summer when the suns overhead. Hopefully it'll pull through OK. The but on it is a good 25cm across now.

The good news is that crappy high that has remained glued 1000km to the west of us will shove over to the east next Thursday and if it lodges in the Bight, which is more typical this time of year, things will really heat up. The 28 day rainfall forecast says rain will stop next Thursday and we'll enter a dry spell until at least mid Oct. Then we may get spring.

Best regards

Tyrone

I checked Auckland's weather and it's the same as Perth's weather for the whole month of Sep so far. It's real north island NZ weather. So if my coconut survives, the NZ guys might want to give one a try. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes, yes ,yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw the latest forecast and next Sat is supposed to be 23C. Wow. I haven't felt so warm in ages.

Now I know how the ancient northern Europeans must have felt when they danced around the May Pole. The glee of warmth, and growing crops, and happiness for all. :yay:

Everything is going to be alright after all.

As you can see I'm suffering from winter fever. :D

Tyrone

Yes, yes ,yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw the latest forecast and next Sat is supposed to be 23C. Wow. I haven't felt so warm in ages.

Now I know how the ancient northern Europeans must have felt when they danced around the May Pole. The glee of warmth, and growing crops, and happiness for all. :yay:

Everything is going to be alright after all.

As you can see I'm suffering from winter fever. :D

Tyrone

Steady on, Tyrone.. I still have a photo of me doing Maypole dancing when I was at infants school. It wasn't that long ago. :lol:

Summer weather here, without the rain. Palms are going off, but for how long without good rains ? Thank god the footy finals are on, keeps my mind on something else for a couple of hours a week.

How'd ya go Mikey ? Bit of the old "crash and burn" for the sea eagles I see.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

As Wal said, summery days, but the nights are still cool. And we need some rain desperately!

I'm going to have a huge water bill this half. Good to see the Broncos doing well Wal!

Sunday Fine. Min 16 Max 30

Monday Fine. Min 17 Max 31

Tuesday Fine, windy. Min 19 Max 32

Wednesday Dry. Min 19 Max 30

Thursday Dry. Min 14 Max 29

Friday Fine. Min 12 Max 28

Saturday Fine. Min 13 Max 30

Daryl, did they end up lifting water restrictions after your 18 months of rain and overflowing dams, or are they still in place?

Over here, even if our dams were overflowing I think we'd still have restrictions.

At least your soil over there likes hanging onto moisture a bit, unlike the west coasts water repellant beach sand. Even after all this winter rain we've had, I'm still digging through bone dry sand in peoples gardens.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, yes they lifted our restrictions on the Gold Coast as our dam hit 101%. We are due to go on the 'SE QLD' restrictions in December, and will never, ever have them lifted again unfortunately. Our dam just got down to 94.9% this week, but we at least have no restrictions through the spring, which is our driest time of year.

Daryl

Hot hot hot and humidity is up up up... it is surely sticky. Yes, the build up is here... now we are waiting for the afternoon storm.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"