IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

EAST COAST-WEST COAST PRA!!!! NOVEMBER 7th @ FTBG MIAMI 11AM

www.dadluvsu.com

Florida.jpg

Wm. I was even thinking of coming to check out FTG and the palms they grow there and be a FAR west member of this PRA but after looking at that map of Florida you posted with the swirling white mass, maybe I'll delay my trip to another time of year! LOL

Al in Kona

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Matty, he's saying you guys might get sick landing in Miami for the two reasons mentioned, one of which could be offensive to some here. However, the 'latino' smells of food you mention "me hace agua la boca" (make my mouth water). Yeah I know it's all in fun so no matter. Matty, it's probably a good thing they not coming to Cali and visiting your place because they'd all probably get nose bleeds and fear of heights. Jus having fun you guys!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Getting excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got one more trip to do to the .99 cent store to get 12 more jars of baby oil and I'll be ready for the trip. That should cover me for the plane ride at least. Do you guys have .99 cent stores in SoFla? More importantly, do you have baby oil or any mineral oils of any sort? Maybe I can use all of William's throw away Carnuba Wax palms and render some oil. Ken, can I borrow a speedo?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Get real. We don't have any of those cheap, low class .99 cent stores down here. We only have upscale Dollar Stores.

If'n you put all that oil on your body and jump into the water, you'll shoot right back out again 'cause oil and water don't mix, don't ya know.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Who said I was jumping into any water? Gross!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Who said I was jumping into any water? Gross!

Just a little hint oh matty ole boy, as your walking near one of the lakes at Fairchild's on the tour and someone's pointing out a large Syagrus romanzoffisomething, don't be surprised....or pissed if you get pushed into the water. It's kind of tradition for you Cali guys. And .....if you see Ryan close by with his camera in hand, well, you will then know the time has come. :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Getting excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got one more trip to do to the .99 cent store to get 12 more jars of baby oil and I'll be ready for the trip. That should cover me for the plane ride at least. Do you guys have .99 cent stores in SoFla? More importantly, do you have baby oil or any mineral oils of any sort? Maybe I can use all of William's throw away Carnuba Wax palms and render some oil. Ken, can I borrow a speedo?

Ken goes to the nude beaches, no speedo. :(

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

WARNING! WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Wheres that "Lost in Space" robot Icon anyway? I've looked for that a couple times..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wheres that "Lost in Space" robot Icon anyway? I've looked for that a couple times..
lost-in-space.jpg

I see Penny at North Haulover Beach all the time! Big sun hat and lots of well tanned wrinkles.

This may end up being the biggest PRA on Earth. I don't think the general membership has any idea that they are about to be invaded by alien movies stars and ultra sound waves. It will be a big surprise.

If Dick Douglas shows up we will even have a visit from ghosts that will get this message from the "memorials" section.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

getting closerrrrrr.....

Closerrrrrrr.......to what?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

getting closerrrrrr.....

Closerrrrrrr.......to what?

to traffic.

Watch out.

Look both ways.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

getting closerrrrrr.....

:yay::blink: :blink: Falling coconuts!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Ken, I don't know about you but I had the hots for poor little Penny. You know, abandoned on a strange planet with nothing to do but watch that idiotic Professor and the robot while Billy Mummy drooled. Now what is all this about a PRA?

What you look for is what is looking

Penny Related Activity

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

OH, SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Reasonably likely to make it (driving time about 3:20). Weather's supposed to be about 81 and cloudy, 30%.

Montgomery has crocodiles, so I assume Fairchild does, too. Best spot for birds at Fairchild is the Florida Keys area, tucked out of the way in the lowlands.

Note that Fairchild's web site has the palm sale AND a five-dollar-off coupon for admission.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

how much is the admission for florida?

is it tuesday yet? :bemused:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Good heads-up Dave. I printed out a few coupons for Paul, Ken and myself. I'll sell them to you for $4.50 ea.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

So, when do you guys leave?

Planning a little side trip for some indo-foodie up in La La Ha Ha, number one!

If you have limited time, stick to the South, the further the better. You will just drool everywhere you go in your cheap rental car . . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, yes. For most purposes, there's nothing north or west of Coral Gables. Sort of a thin veneer of affluence along Biscayne Bay, then a bit of surviving agriculture to the south in an area called the Redlands. Amazingly, Publix supermarkets are now publicizing produce from the Redlands. The area also produces lots of orchids and some palms.

For those needing an excuse to visit in February, Florida International University will be holding an international conference on rip currents. Scientists and public safety types from all over.

I thought you had to have waves in order to have rips. B)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I thought you had to have waves in order to have rips. B)

Sure kick us in our weak spot... :rage:

Paul, I think the Florida admission just got more expensive... Guess who's fault? :mrlooney:

Well, yes. For most purposes, there's nothing north or west of Coral Gables. Sort of a thin veneer of affluence along Biscayne Bay, then a bit of surviving agriculture to the south in an area called the Redlands. Amazingly, Publix supermarkets are now publicizing produce from the Redlands. The area also produces lots of orchids and some palms.

For those needing an excuse to visit in February, Florida International University will be holding an international conference on rip currents. Scientists and public safety types from all over.

Hmmmm, I could save some vacation money and plan my holly-days at the U. I'd love to learn more about rips. And no....we don't have waves here. I'm kind of confused now on why were talking about an upcoming conference on rip currents, veggies from the Redlands and two guys coming to buy a bunch of $3 dalla palms to take back. BTW....who's coming, Jack Sayers?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hmmmm, I could save some vacation money and plan my holly-days at the U. I'd love to learn more about rips. And no....we don't have waves here. I'm kind of confused now on why were talking about an upcoming conference on rip currents, veggies from the Redlands and two guys coming to buy a bunch of $3 dalla palms to take back. BTW....who's coming, Jack Sayers?

El Hoagie is coming? :unsure:

$3 dalla palms

Correction to your confusion... That's 3 Dolla Pahms. :P

Secondly, I want Redlands Veggies, YUM!! I had no idea Pubelix was pushing them... me personally, I don't prefer diesel steamed tanker veggies from halfway around the world...

These photos from California's Big South Swell include some jaw-dropping rips (that's an Australian expert's opinion, not mine): Surfline surf from above

Gulfster.com is a nice example of surf at Melbourne Beach, Aug. 22. Our locals practice long and hard on teeny little waves, which seems to make them better able to appreciate the occasional swell. Or the occasional vacation to San Diego. One local guy happened to enjoy the July swell in La Jolla; another (young pro) took on the Wedge and smashed his board on the first try.

For casual beachgoers, those nice Indiana types spending a week at Daytona Beach, little teeny rip currents seem to be a fairly serious safety problem. Regular beach users never notice them; in fact, it's taken me some effort to even figure out that the things exist on Florida beaches.

[My south-of-airport geography of course left out some important people, nurseries, gardens, etc. in counties north of Miami-Dade. Now back to visiting palms, tropical fruit, and whatnot.].

The boyz will be surfin the jet stream any time now. PT members that want to meet and great? see you at the SFPS sale at 11:00 AM Saturday. Matty will stick out like a sore thumb. Let's hang near Christians booth.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Bill, Reef Rd. is not bad for Florida. It is positioned at a weird angle and the Bahamas do not interfere. Many days at 3 to 4 feet.

When she goes,it is Blue Hawaii. I have seen perfectly serene, blue water create sets of three going from 15 to 20 to 25. Quite a sight.

Kelley Slater came down as a young dork. Alot of locals like Peter Media(my wifes/brothers/ wifes cousin) have done OK.

Don't get me wrong, Reef is awesome for east coast waves. When the swell pumps fromt he right direction I've been there for 20 footers. Christmas 93' (or 4) was the biggest I've ever seen on this shore. Dang I sound old when I say stuff like that

Bill, Old? You are just a toddler. You should have seen the 35 footers back in 1964!

Now to raise the penultimate horrible question: Why do all the great surfers come from sunny Flahida?

Hmmmm......interesting you should know this, does Ken?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.