IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Photobucket

MattyB

But, let's assume we could cope with those problems - do we really want to become our own Photobucket for members? If members started uploading hundreds of their own photos to their own gallery, is that a good thing? I am sure we would eventually need to impose limits to personal galleries.

But then you could get people addicted to storing photos on the IPS photo galley and instead of imposing limits, charge $20 a year just like Photobucket.

I'm kidding of course.

I've been through this before - but here's the short version.

Put all photos you want to upload in one folder. Use a batch resizer and resize all with one click to what ever size and resolution setting you have previously saved for PalmTalk Uploads.

Dean,

Where does one get a batch resizer? Does my IrfanView do this?

Kathryn

Matt,

As I am sure you realize, setting up a gallery as you have proposed isn't like installing a new program on your PC. Any gallery software would have to be researched and deemed compatible with the version and configuration of the forum software we are running. Then someone intimately familiar with both platforms would need access to our server and be able to configure it and the data base in order to integrate both together. Doing so from the beginning would have been one thing, but to try and introduce "third party" add-ons in mid-stream would carry some risks. While possible, the technical aspects of insuring success may be elusive, and not something I would be willing to take responsibility for. If during the conversion, something happened to the database of all existing photos, that would create a tremendous mess, and lose.

But, let's assume we could cope with those problems - do we really want to become our own Photobucket for members? If members started uploading hundreds of their own photos to their own gallery, is that a good thing? I am sure we would eventually need to impose limits to personal galleries. Who would review all the uploads to assure there is no inappropriate subject matter? How often would you visit the galleries of other members in order to look through a thousand misc. photos? Not everyone would take the time to organize and label, or make new additions easily located. Personally, I don't know how often I would click through the gallery of a member just to thumb through hundreds of photos, in no particular order, with or without captions. Would most people even keep their galleries well maintained? Would they be of palms, or travels, or their nursery, or their kids?

I've dwelt on some of the negatives, or doubts. What are the advantages?

Hi Dean,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this, I appreciate it.

As far as the software, Invision offers an add on (you probably already knew that), here is a link, Invision Power Board Gallery, so I would think it would be fully compatible with the current board.

I see what you are saying in regards to size limits, you definitely wouldn't want members to "ram dump" all of there pictures to the site, so limits would have to be imposed to avoid this. As well, the policing would require additional volunteer mods, for those areas, that's how I have seen it done on other boards.

Maybe I'm simple that way, but I enjoy perusing pictures(I know I'm not alone), but the other main advantage is that the pictures would be archived with the IPS forever and members can decide for themselves if they want to use thumbnails or not.

Maybe it's not worth it, I've just seen it successfully used on other forums and thought it was a great feature.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt,

As I am sure you realize, setting up a gallery as you have proposed isn't like installing a new program on your PC. Any gallery software would have to be researched and deemed compatible with the version and configuration of the forum software we are running. Then someone intimately familiar with both platforms would need access to our server and be able to configure it and the data base in order to integrate both together. Doing so from the beginning would have been one thing, but to try and introduce "third party" add-ons in mid-stream would carry some risks. While possible, the technical aspects of insuring success may be elusive, and not something I would be willing to take responsibility for. If during the conversion, something happened to the database of all existing photos, that would create a tremendous mess, and lose.

But, let's assume we could cope with those problems - do we really want to become our own Photobucket for members? If members started uploading hundreds of their own photos to their own gallery, is that a good thing? I am sure we would eventually need to impose limits to personal galleries. Who would review all the uploads to assure there is no inappropriate subject matter? How often would you visit the galleries of other members in order to look through a thousand misc. photos? Not everyone would take the time to organize and label, or make new additions easily located. Personally, I don't know how often I would click through the gallery of a member just to thumb through hundreds of photos, in no particular order, with or without captions. Would most people even keep their galleries well maintained? Would they be of palms, or travels, or their nursery, or their kids?

I've dwelt on some of the negatives, or doubts. What are the advantages?

Hi Dean,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this, I appreciate it.

As far as the software, Invision offers an add on (you probably already knew that), here is a link, Invision Power Board Gallery, so I would think it would be fully compatible with the current board.

I see what you are saying in regards to size limits, you definitely wouldn't want members to "ram dump" all of there pictures to the site, so limits would have to be imposed to avoid this. As well, the policing would require additional volunteer mods, for those areas, that's how I have seen it done on other boards.

Maybe I'm simple that way, but I enjoy perusing pictures(I know I'm not alone), but the other main advantage is that the pictures would be archived with the IPS forever and members can decide for themselves if they want to use thumbnails or not.

Maybe it's not worth it, I've just seen it successfully used on other forums and thought it was a great feature.

Matt

Matt,

We always appreciate feedback, and I don't want it to sound (although it might) that I am trying to shoot the idea down - only that it is not as simple or seamless as you would like to wish. I am aware of the add-on. However, it is designed for Invision 3.0 and above. We do not run that version. We run V. 2.3.4 - So an upgrade of the basic forum software would probably be necessary first. And there is still the obstacle of installing it into an existing board ( instead of at start up), and understanding the different possible server configurations. It is the data base integration that always worries me. I wish I had a dollar for every piece of software that declared it was perfectly compatible, only to find out differently. On your home PC it is easy to have a backup ready in case of failure. Not so on a server with a data base.

It may sound simple to find competent, conscientious, trustworthy, individuals willing to learn how to moderate in the Forum - or to log in 2-3 times daily. And hopefully they wouldn't ever click the wrong delete box. And they would still find it necessary to run many of their moderating decisions by a "final authority." So the main moderator(s) exchange(s) moderating the members, to moderating the moderators. A little better, but no panacea. :)

What I am unclear of is whether photos that you upload to your gallery are also available to embed in your posts, or do you have to upload again while posting? Or visa-versa, do photos you put in your posts automatically appear in your gallery? And is resizing still necessary, or will the photo management plug-in (probably Image Magic) handle all sizes and resolutions? There is a lot to consider. Nothing worse than locking yourself into a system that you outgrow, or are unable to configure to your wishes.

But let's listen to what others think.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

We always appreciate feedback, and I don't want it to sound (although it might) that I am trying to shoot the idea down - only that it is not as simple or seamless as you would like to wish. I am aware of the add-on. However, it is designed for Invision 3.0 and above. We do not run that version. We run V. 2.3.4 - So an upgrade of the basic forum software would probably be necessary first. And there is still the obstacle of installing it into an existing board ( instead of at start up), and understanding the different possible server configurations. It is the data base integration that always worries me. I wish I had a dollar for every piece of software that declared it was perfectly compatible, only to find out differently. On your home PC it is easy to have a backup ready in case of failure. Not so on a server with a data base.

It may sound simple to find competent, conscientious, trustworthy, individuals willing to learn how to moderate in the Forum - or to log in 2-3 times daily. And hopefully they wouldn't ever click the wrong delete box. And they would still find it necessary to run many of their moderating decisions by a "final authority." So the main moderator(s) exchange(s) moderating the members, to moderating the moderators. A little better, but no panacea. :)

What I am unclear of is whether photos that you upload to your gallery are also available to embed in your posts, or do you have to upload again while posting? Or visa-versa, do photos you put in your posts automatically appear in your gallery? And is resizing still necessary, or will the photo management plug-in (probably Image Magic) handle all sizes and resolutions? There is a lot to consider. Nothing worse than locking yourself into a system that you outgrow, or are unable to configure to your wishes.

But let's listen to what others think.

No worries Dean, from the outside I envision swiping the old Visa card, installing the software and, wala, a fully functional photo gallery, not reality.

The gallery I am most familiar with allows a user to embed pictures from his/her own gallery into posts. When a poster decides to just download the picture to the individual thread, it is not automatically inserted in his/her gallery, it is a user optional item.

Maybe when and if the software needs an upgrade, that would be the more appropriate time to explore a gallery option. I'll do my best to use the thumbnail option until a better option is available.

Thanks again,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt,

Be assured we are listening. And that "management" always tosses around new ideas and options during our periodic discussions.

During our last major upgrade, there was a very scary moment when it looked like the database was not going to transfer intact. For a day I was contemplating what it would be like starting the Forum over from scratch with zero members. People start freaking out when the Forum is down for a half hour. I can't imagine the commotion that even several days off line would create, let alone a week or two. So we just want to be sure any risk is worth any reward. :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Matt,

Be assured we are listening. And that "management" always tosses around new ideas and options during our periodic discussions.

During our last major upgrade, there was a very scary moment when it looked like the database was not going to transfer intact. For a day I was contemplating what it would be like starting the Forum over from scratch with zero members. People start freaking out when the Forum is down for a half hour. I can't imagine the commotion that even several days off line would create, let alone a week or two. So we just want to be sure any risk is worth any reward. :)

Make sure when that happens again, give me a call so that when the board resets, I can be number one :D

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA