IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Langkawi

Tyrone

PB070044.jpg

Waterfall in Langkawi

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

PB070045.jpg

Pool at bottom of waterfall and jungle in background

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

PB070046.jpg

Korthalsia ? spilling out of forest into the waterfall area.

PB070047.jpg

Closeup of Korthalsia. These things had white underneath there leaves. Really nice from a distance.

regards

Tyrone

PB070042.jpg

Coconut lined beach with mountains behind. If you look closely you'll see the cable car going up the mountain. All rainforest in there, virtually inaccesible, full of rattans, Areca triandra's and Pinangas.

PB070085.jpg

Not a palm, but Cycas pectinata clinging to the cliff face.

PB080106.jpg

Off shore island from Langkawi, with Cycas pectinata populated cliff faces.

regards

Tyrone

Great job photographing Langkawi island. :D I am supposed to go to Malaysia in December so I'll see all this for myself. Looks absolutely beautiful.

Jeff

Jeff Wilson

SW Florida - 26.97 N 82 W

Port Charlotte, FL, United States

Zone 9b/10a

hot, humid subtropical climate - mild winters

approx. 50" rain annually during growing season

Summer came too early, springtime came too late...

went from freezing cold to bleached out summer days

PB080132.jpg

Rattan up in the mountains at the top of the cable car. There apeared to be more rattans at high elevation than at low elevation. The cable car rose to nearly 800m altitude at an angle of 42degrees, and the temp up there was about 23-24C whereas at sea level it was around 32C. It was very windy up there too. It would be amazing to be up there when a tropical storm moved in.

PB080121.jpg

View of Langkawi from the mountain top at top of cable car.

PB080115.jpg

Another view from the top northwards towards Thailand which is only around 40km away.

best regards

Tyrone

Great picture's, i like the Cycad and coconut picture the most :)

Southwest

I like the beach picture with all the palms. Wish I was there. :D

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I have been there a couple of times too. Last time was last November. Happy days!  :D Brings back memories for sure.l I love that part of the world and would like to live there some day. :D  :D  :D

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

which bizzies?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

There are plenty of Bizzies there though and some very large Foxtails too. Tyrone, where did you stay?

The "Chinese Gardens" at the Bottom of the Cable Car Station is definitely worth a wander around. There is a very Strange looking Tree that has very Spikey fruit hanging from it, they are about the size of a large Grapefruit and are dark green. In Maurtius they are called a Vacoas Tree. Any Ideas anyone. I'm afraid I dont have a picture yet. :(

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

I'm glad a lot liked the photos.

Andy, I stayed at the Berjaya which was not far from the bottom of the cable car. We stayed in a self standing unit that hug closely to the mountain side and was accessed by a very very steep driveway which was almost impossible to walk up. The back of the unit opened onto the rainforest with Calamus, bamboo, and that really deap musty soil smell of the rainforest. The coconuts on the beach photo was looking back at the bottom part of the Berjaya resort, we stayed on the mountain side up a bit from there.

The palms around the place at the resort were big Latania's, some Bissies, Areca catechu's, Areca triandra's, very large stands of Ptychosperma, and some other palms which were probably Pinangas that were very finely pinnate and large, maybe Pinanga javana and also of course Cyrtostachys renda. I would have had more photos especially of the rainforest but the camera died. It pays not to take a digital camera into a rainforest in the middle of a monsoonal downpour. I was quite upset to lose the camera and the shots which I can't share. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

• 2 months later...

Ahem.

Too-beee where little cable carrrrs!

Climb halfway to the stars!

There's no morning fog

To chill the air

I don't care . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

wow,its beautiful there!!!

what language do they speak?(the people,not the palms :P )

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Malay is the native tongue there, but most in the tourist industry speak English. Very friendly people. One of the officials at the airport was willing to give a colleague of mine some Ringit for the Coke machine. He wasn't asked for money, he just saw that my friend didn't have enough change. Later on he checked us out through customs, with a smile!!!! Langkawi is very beautiful and so are the people. They are also 90% Muslim, and never once did I feel unsafe. It's a very laid back place which doesn't have the busy hussle and bussle of most other places in Asia. Langkawi is the same physical size as Singapore with a population of around 60000. They are also conservation conscious. It's worth seeing.

regards

Tyrone

Thanks for the virtual trip away from my head-high cell. That place looks amazing!~

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Dear Tyrone  :)

i have no words to praise you but to tell thank you.

my eyes were just feasting on each of those pictures.

and now my heart & stumoch is full.

i think you know the feeling !

thanks for sharing.

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Tyrone,

First, thanks so much for sharing your travels with us all. It did remind me of Thailand when I was there.

Did you get much of a chance to walk the forest much? Was there any palms seeding at the time? Was this just a vacation for you? Thanks.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, It was actually a very quick businees trip that didn't involve much business. It was a bit of palm heaven though. We did take a morning with a guide into the rainforest and it was raining, probably around 24C  which is cool for there with about 100% humidity. The camera got damaged, the video camera battery died and my watch eventually died. Now that's humidity, a bit hard to replicate away from the humid tropics. We saw wild Areca triandra's, small little bifid leaf Pinanga's with mottled leaves, larger Pinanga's, Iguanara's in fruit etc. I didn't collect seeds as I didn't have a permit.

regards

Tyrone

(Tyrone @ Sep. 01 2006,09:09)

We saw wild Areca triandra's, small little bifid leaf Pinanga's with mottled leaves, larger Pinanga's

In Langkawi there is quite a nice rainforest walk down from near the top of Gunung Raya,  which is the tallest mountain.  This rainforest track goes down the steep side of the mountain,  to the valley below and gives an insight into mountain rainforest which is usually difficult to access without  personal danger.

On this track you find mostly Pinangas but generally on the island there are a limited range of indigenous palms... The Malaysian Botanist  Dr Saw Leng Guan regards Langkawi as being a relatively poor example of palm habitat compared with Peninsular Malaysia and Sarawak.  

Perhaps one novelty on Langkawi is the legendary Maxburretia gracilis, is only found in Pulau Dayang Bunting in Langkawi.  I have been to Langkawi 3 times but never seen a Maxburretia,  that I recognised  !

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Here are some of the Pinangas you find in the rainforest on Langkawi.  Just like what you saw no doubt Tyrone ?

post-416-1157119606_thumb.jpg

chris.oz

Or larger ones.

[  Very nice photos of Langkawi Tyrone ! ]

post-416-1157119772_thumb.jpg

chris.oz

Tyrone,

Thank you for the great pictures of a beautiful part of the world.  Did you go swimming at that waterfall.  Nothing like a dip under a tropical waterfall on a hot day.  The water looks very inviting.  Is the water in the stream cold?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Tyronne, great photo's and a wonderful way to spend my morning drinking coffee and viewing your pictures! CHEERS!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Chris, They were the exact Pinangas's I saw there. Do you know what species these are?

Don, I didn't go swimming, just dipped my feet in. Others from the party I was with got right into the water, but we were on a tour, and had to be dry and respectable later to go to a restaurant. Plus there were big leeches I discovered in there. I'd had enough encounters with leeches in North Queensland.

regards

Tyrone

Don, The water was quite cool. But after experiencing 32C and 80% humidity for so long, any water feels cold.

Tyrone,  Leeches don't sound like nice swimming companions.  Fortunately we don't have them around here in the streams with waterfalls.  In fact I have not even seen them in the rivers.  The water temperature at the water falls around here can seem downright cold.  This always amazes me as it is so hot all the time.  Just being around a waterfall is soothing for the spirit.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Tyrone,

I missed this great set of photos earlier.  I'm a sucker for waterfalls.  Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B