IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Colombia

Trópico

First time over there. There was a lot to see and experience, including many palms.

Linings of Royals in a plaza are a really cool sight. Here I was at La Quinta de San Pedro, where Simon Bolivar died, in a city named Santa Marta, about 5 hours up the coast from Cartagena.

cartagenaColombia014.jpg

As we travelled towards the Venezuelan border (but still very far away) the weather turned more desert like with many cactuses and super hot.

This was taken on the beach at another location (in Santa Marta) of the same hotel we stayed back in Cartagena. Jamaican Talls.

cartagenaColombia033.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Some nice Pritchardia and Adonidias

cartagenaColombia041.jpg

Adonidias in seed.

cartagenaColombia043.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Anyone hungry? Lots of seafood, mainly fish and coconut flavored rice is the typical food along the caribbean coast. Hotel meal, all inclusive!

cartagenaColombia046.jpg

This is a view of Cartagena de Indias from the Fuerte San Felipe de Barajas

bogsantamartaColombia019.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Beautiful pictures, very lush. And it's nice to see no evidence of lethal yellowing, with palms such as Adonidias and Pritchardias.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another view towards the hotel (the tallest, yellowish to the right). Can you spot a few species?

cartagenaColombia053.jpg

There is a city within the walls, just like at home (PR). This plaza-turned into a jungle had many interesting palms- Royals (regia?) in triples, doubles, and others. A fight for the mortar pic.

cartagenaColombia063.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

In that plaza I found a Jubaea chilensis (first time I see). Is it really?

cartagenaColombia064.jpg

The trunk

cartagenaColombia066.jpg

More to come...

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Well in that one shot, I can see Cocos and a Bizmarkia. The last one is really stumping me. Part of me thinks Attalea but that trunk? ? ? ? ?....Could it be an XButiagrus?

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Frank,

How was the lobster?  It looks tatsty.

Nice photos.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Zac I immediatley thought the same thing in the last pic, that the fronds look Attalea but the trunk sure has the typical J.chilensis look. Probably a cross but one I have never seen.

Great pictures Frank! The plants all look healthy and happy. The seafood looks good too!

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Great photos! My girlfriend went this past June, her dad and some family live in Bogota. She went to the botanic garden there and tooks photos of some nice Ceroxylon quindiuense. I want to go next summer.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hi Eric,

your girlfriend probably took photographs of the Ceroxylons shown in the following picture (Ceroxylon quindiuense in the Botanical Garden of Bogota).

346548137zSgGqv_th.jpg

by delgiani

BTW, my brother will get married in Bogota in May 2007 ... and I will be there, too!

Here are some more pictures my brother took in Colombia (the first six pictures were taken in Bogota, and picture 3, 4 & 5 show C. quindiuense).

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/344306074UdaQzB

Ciao,

Christian

Wow!

Great palms.

Great cooked sea creatures!  (Better than raw . . . .)

How did that food taste?  How was it seasoned?  I'm always looking for new cuisines to experiment on, when I get tired of torturing the palms in my Death Camp.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Zac, Joe: I don't know exactly if it is but to my inexperienced eyes it looks like a J. chilensis grown in hot weather. Is it possible?

Here is one more pic of the mistery palm:

cartagenaColombia069.jpg

Ray, Dave: The Lobster was allright but don't ask me about the octopus... I tried some more at one of the islands we hopped to which was far better, and the sauce really pushed the edge.

bogsantamartaColombia056.jpg

That hairy looking "nail" came in really handy to dig up every bit of flesh available, and the edge of the chair (on the boat) helped rip apart the tough shells. I bought that for $10.000 pesos (a little less than 5 bucks). I don't know how it was seasoned, I don't really know how to cook but at one time I attempted to microwave a lobster tail. It stunk bad but was eatable (and surprisingly good).

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Comment if you like

bogsantamartaColombia020.jpg

This is the first species I saw growing along the drier coastline. I only got ONE seed, round, about 1.5 cm without flesh. My attempt at id: Copernicia sp? Please help id!

cartagenaColombia074.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Hmmm, its a shot of the infamous Bigfoot.  I wont even go to the big hand and feet thing. LOL Ooops! I went there didn't I??

I have no clue on the last pic.

Also, that "Jub", I know they hate Florida. Is that on the Caribbean coast? I am still not sure on what exactly it is.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Tropico.

Nice pics.- Let me remember i was there some years ago. With some folks we decided to travel to there in bus!

Seeing the pictures of the old town and the fort, so nice.-

As said by Zac, your Jubaea is for sure an Attalea specie.- Cannot tell wich one but an Attalea.- It is not a big mistake to confuse both species since (under some point) are simmilar palms.-

Seeing their fruits and seeds is more easiest to check it.-

Attaleas is the most simmilar palm to a Jubaea that can grow in the tropics.- Unfortunately not yet a very promoted into cultivation but any Attaleas are unforgetable monster palm.-

Cheers. Gaston

Guys

Great pics Tropico.

The mystery is ......an African oil palm!!!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Miami is the sister city of Cartageny.We have been trading partners For years.Duh! The artist who made the shoes made two pair one pair for Cartageny and one pair for Miami.They are located 3 miles north of FTG,on the Cocaplum Circle.I'm from Miami and know these things!

• Upvote 1

Old Miakka, Florida

23 miles inland from Sarasota Bay

Zone 9b

middle of a swamp in SW Central FL

Frank,

Great pictures.  Looks like you had an interesting trip.  It has been a long time since I was in Colombia and even longer since I was in Cartagena.  It is a very beautiful country.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

John, I remember our tourist guide did mention that in Miami there is a mirror monument to the old shoes. There are few things that a man likes more than his old shoes. For me it is whether I like something more than my tiny Dypsis sanctaemariae.

Eric, my wife (in the pictures with me) is a Rola as well. Have you tried some nice arepas or buñuelos, or Tamales Tolimenses yet? Brevas with arequipe?

This is a Colombian chiva

bogsantamartaColombia036.jpg

This was taken from INSIDE a church, looking at an internal patio. Sorry, pic taken at night trough a fence:

cartagenaColombia081.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Interesting palm and heliconia arrangement at the hotel lobby:

cartagenaColombia083.jpg

and they were also raising their own Pritchardia from seed!

cartagenaColombia084.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Dear Tropico  :)

Lovely pictures of colombia and i doubt wheather

i will ever see that country in my life time.thanks for

making my day.

and i often used to comment that this forum has the ability

to appear as a discovery channel or bbc panaroma.

by your photos you have proved me right.

thanks for sharing.

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Frank,

Thanks for the photos! Very interesting!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks all, and here's more>

A few days into our vacation we took a 1 hour boat ride to Islas del Rosario, just west of Cartagena.

Parts of Cartagena are fortified with spanish walls. This is located at one of two mouths leading to the bay, and with another battery at the opposite end formed a crossfire location to prevent enemy boats from entering into the bay. Here stands sentinel a nice skinny Cocos palm. I noticed most Cocos and pritchardias in the street had evidence of heavy salt spray or dryness in the older leaves.

bogsantamartaColombia047.jpg

We arrived at Isla del Pirata (Pirate's Island) which is privately owned by the hotel and slightly bigger than the one pictured in the distance. Tiny and had everything you need for your little paradise: a bar, a dining area, natural pools, hammocks, a sand volleyball court, a mini-jungle with lots of palms, and a tiny hotel.

cartagenaColombia086.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Great photo's!! Thanxx alot!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Many thanks for posting your photographs!  

I really like the one of the Cartegena battlements, the curling surf, and the lone Cocos.  Nice job.

I notice the ring of bouys where you were swimming by the slide.  Is snorkeling discouraged there?

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

Norm, the buoys were just demarcating swimming areas. To the left there is a small pier where our boat was anchored to. Snorkeling is allowed and there are snorkeling tours that go across those reefs. To the right there is an outcrop of reef with a mermaid sculpture where snorkelers go and look. Some locals make some cash by renting snorkeling equipment as well.

We didn't snorkel but still saw some nice baby colorful crabs going about.

cartagenaColombia087.jpg

We instead went for the tour to another island with an aquarium on it. Worth it!

This is a typical view on the way there:

cartagenaColombia091.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

And this is part of the show that the girls on wetsuit put for us

bogsantamartaColombia053.jpg

I was lucky to see this toucan eating sea grapes while standing and staring at the foliage

cartagenaColombia092.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Some of the plants at Isla del Pirata. I was impressed by the Jamaican talls, non trunking and still WAY higher than me!

cartagenaColombia094.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Very nice pictures from a lovely place Frank.

Tiny tropical islands have always fascinated me, so I wouldn't mind staying at that pirates resort for some time...

I've heard that Cartagena was the only town of the Americas that was built totally fortified and protected. Has it ever been invaded? Recife/Olinda had just a few coastal forts and fell to a large dutch invasion in 1630 that lasted for 24 years...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hmm.

Comment . . . .

Looks like Shaq O'Neill's bronzed baby shoes.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great shots there Frank, looks like a wonderful place. Not what I imagined Colombia to be.

Did you bring home any goodies?

Thanks for sharing.

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Gileno - Here is a map of the fortified locations across the Caribbean. San Juan, Puerto Rico is amazingly similar to Cartagena and heavily fortified as well. The Cartagena fortifications were built to protect the city from English,  Dutch and French pirates. Cartagena fell to the attack of French pirate Roberto Baal, Sir Francis Drake, and was able to resist the besiege of John Hawkins. San Juan was attacked many times as well, including by Francis Drake as well, but only fell to Earl of Cumberland, and to the Dutch in 1625 too.

Jay - I brought back just a handful of seeds, one from the palm in post #14 (which is??), a few Licualas, Copernicias, and two fruit species (Curuba, Pitaya). Most other palms were not seeding (or I already have). Also my schedule and the fact I wasn't driving.

post-47-1157119752_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes