IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Madagascar

Alan_Tampa

Great stuff Alan...makes me wanna go back! The bird in #32 is a Madagascar Cuckoo-roller. They're related to Kingfishers, found all over Madagascar and are very tame...don't seem to be afraid of people.

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

An amazing trip Alan ,loved the photos - National geographic eat your heart out ! :rolleyes:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Awesome and Amazing!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hmmm... Majesties look a little like coconuts when really super tall... All except the trunk thickness

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Brilliant pics. Enjoyed it very much. Loved the R rivularis picture. Impossible to overwater them.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Very nice work with the camera, Alan, you really got some great wildlife shots! The photo of the fossa is astonishing, that must have been in a zoo?

So what were your impressions, what did you come away with? Who were your guides, how was the food and lodging, and who did you meet? I envy your dip in the stream, looks wonderful.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hey Jeff, I give up which happened to you, A B C D?

Ron,

That's for another day to discuss.

Alan,

It looks like you had a great trip and really saw alot of critters when you were there. Your pictures are amazing. I've never been down that far south, did you get a chance to get into any good rainforest farther up north or near the coast?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dear Allan :)

Lovely visuals.. :drool: And that's a very beautiful country with lots of bio diversity.And by any chance have you come across these trees...this happens to be one of my favouriate varities of Baobabs !

baobabGrandiee01.jpg

And thanks for that lovely tour all presented in big size stills,i really enjoyed that feature. :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

The Bungalow at Andisabe:

IMG_0034.jpg

A totem of the tribes of Madagascar, with some rickshaw dudes:

IMG_0110.jpg

A palm:

IMG_0112.jpg

Another little waterfall. Can you tell I am fascinated by waterfalls?

IMG_0132.jpg

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

A bungalow in Ambositra:

IMG_0157.jpg

Some Malagasy on the roadside:

IMG_0167.jpg

A small snake:

IMG_0169.jpg

Yet another waterfall:

IMG_0181.jpg

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

At Ifaty:

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

Some awful Malagasy wine, like cough drops:

IMG_0531.jpg

A meal at a fisherman's house. Very good

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Some of the food I had at Bruno's. Best meal of my trip! Bruno is a wonderful host!

IMG_0719.jpg

Another meal I had while in Madagascar. Brochette of Zebu! At lots and lots of zebu!

IMG_0107.jpg

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Another place I stayed:

IMG_0076.jpg

This was 40,0000 ariarys a night, about $20 U.S.

IMG_0152.jpg

I stayed in many places for $20 a night, some for as little as $10, the most expensive place was in Tana at 80 euros a night. I could not afford that for long, and anyway, I liked the cheaper places better-more fun.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

So what were your impressions, what did you come away with? Who were your guides, how was the food and lodging, and who did you meet? I envy your dip in the stream, looks wonderful. From Kim

For my impressions-that is hard to say. I saw a poor people who mostly have what they need, food and a place to live. The people in the cities seemed desperate and worried me some when walking alone. The people in the country were friendly and caused me no worries.

I used Tropic Tours Travel, they were great, 55 euros per day for the car and driver. We could go anywhere I wanted, I paid for fuel as we went.

I met so many people, most of them were not trying to rip me off, but a few were and did, but only a little.

Food was awesome, no problems. Ate at the hotelys and had no problems, some were a little smelly, however but I got used to it.

Lodging, once I got out of Tana was cheap and comfortable, thought the Malagasy idea of a mattress is different from most Americans I think.

I swam against the advice of the travel clinic where I got my vaccinations. No issues yet.

The people are poor there but seem to be well fed.

The park guides were very good, and only abandoned me a couple of times. To "look for lemurs" but my driver guide thinks they left for a little nap. All was good though as I got to look a little closer at things while alone. Those guys move fast through the forest.

Also, even if you are not all that interested in lemurs, they are gonna show you some lemurs! I got a real workout chasing after some little tiny brown lemurs in Ranomafana, off the trail and all. Used a spiky tree as a hand hold more than once. Then the guides points out the trees to avoid. I showed him my hand and he laughed-as did I- cause blood is funny sometimes!

Jeff, my trip was mostly from Antananarivo south, did go north. Will have to next time.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

:o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for that beautiful visuals... :drool::winkie: And one question to you Allan,If you have gone to Mr.Bruno's place...then by any chance did you take some time to go and see the Blessed palm(T.S) in its habitate and if so any visuals of its present state..? :hmm:

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow, interesting! THB, good choice, almost impossible to find drinkable wine in Madagascar, sorry to say. I have some fun memories of Bruno ordering wines and tasting them... long story. :rolleyes: I'm so glad you were able to meet him, he is priceless.

I am amazed to hear your guides 'abandoned' you on the trails, since visitors are required to be accompanied by guides in the parks, and they aren't cheap. We had a guide who went off to "look for lemurs" also, I thought maybe that was a polite phrase for going into the bushes to answer nature's call. He did return after awhile, "no lemurs". :hmm:

What sort of crustacean was that on your plate? Not something I recognize. Fantastic blue starfish! The baobab pics are great, would love to see those strange forms someday.

We had been hearing terrible things about the parks being closed and trees being cut down, lemurs being hunted for bushmeat -- did you hear anything of the sort while you were there? Did you get any sense of the political instability while you were in Antananarivo?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The crustacean is a type of rock lobster, very tasty.

I heard about the lemurs being eaten. One rumor was that the Chinese workers are the ones doing all the damage, cutting down forests that should be set aside and eating lemurs. Not to accuse anyone of anything, but that is what I had heard.

Kris, I went to Bruno's but the Tahinia is very far away and I only saw Bruno on my very last full day. I did see Bruno's garden and some Tahinia seedlings.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Kris, I went to Bruno's but the Tahinia is very far away and I only saw Bruno on my very last full day. I did see Bruno's garden and some Tahinia seedlings.

Alan

Dear Allan :)

Thanks for the information..

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Alan,

I really enjoyed your travelogue. You saw many things that I didn't get to experience. I'm glad to hear you had a fantastic trip and a safe return. I hope there's more pictures to come.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

i enjoyed the pix very much,alan. the waterfalls & swimming holes were outstanding!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I will work on adding a few more pictures. I have some shots of Bruno's garden and many many more animal photos. I even have a few more palm pics somewhere.

Alan

Anyone have any more questions?

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Alan,

Enjoyed all the photos from this very unique country. Looking forward to a few more! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here is some more pictures. These are going to be out of order from the way my trip went and if you have any questions I'll do my best to give the location of the pictures.

Eiffel Tower at night:

DSC03905.jpg

Amsterdam Burger King:

DSC03847.jpg

Hotel staff:

DSC03959.jpg

A malagasy pizza place!:

DSC03975.jpg

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a