IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another local plant show 2009

Gbarce

This suppose to be a mutated form of a common fern. Looks really nice as a big specimen.

This is pretty easy to propagate so I think I'll wait for the price to drop on this one.

post-1017-1251538440_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

A birds nest fern - Not sure if its correct to call this an Asplenium nidus. This form has been floating around for quite a while though. I see by the tag that they are calling it "sweet heart"

post-1017-1251538712_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Dont't know what kind of fern this is but looks really nice grown in a big clump like this.

Nice and yellow when grown in ful sun like this. Supposedly grows green under shade

post-1017-1251539659_thumb.jpg

post-1017-1251539693_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Actually there were quite a few and some stalls were specializing on them but I am clueless when it comes to trees. You might find them boring though since what are considered exotic trees here is most likely an ordinary tree over there in the U.S.

I think I have a few pictures of them though I just have to sift through my photos.

I do remember one of the vendors trying to sell me Jacaranda and an expensive one she was calling the "Rainbow Shower". The rainbow shower is suppose to be a hybrid between the golden shower tree and its close relative. It has large clusters of flowers that have different tones of color. She didn't have it in here stall there but they will truck it in for me if I was interested. Its P25,000 ( a little over $500) for a 12 foot tree and as a sales pitch she is saying that they only have 1 left and its a plant that is very very very hard to propagate.

Here's a photo of a floweing tree from Australia I think.

post-1017-1251553587_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene..... Rainbow showers are hard to propagate!!!!!! And hard to find in my side of the world. I have been to find it for ages.... It is a hybrid between Cassia javanica and Cassia fistula. The flowers are to die for. I have posted a photo here, but it doesn't do it justice. The flowers is almost salmon colours, and some are almost orange with pink and yellow marbling... They are propagated by marcotting here.

post-512-1251564729_thumb.jpg

BTW, nice plant show... anymore photos?? Which jacaranda is he trying to sell you? Like Peter, I love flowering tree, but I guess you already know that.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Really Gene, thanks for the photos of some interesting plants. I always have intentions of doing the same thing here at the local

plant shows, but tend to get caught up in the frenzy of the purchase. Like 'Peachy' says, I came, I saw, I purchased.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Ari- yup I have a lot more pictures. I don't necessarily want to or can't afford to buy a lot of stuff I see on these shows so picures are the next best thing. And I am practising using the Nikon so I am a bit more of a shutterbug than usual.

Realarch - hehe. I am the opposite. I look and observe way more than I buy.

The plant show was organized by the Orchid society so they had a formal show and displays. This is where I tried out the Nikon-- close-ups mostly.

post-1017-1251600602_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Nice sentimental touch. They had one display honoring former president Corazon Aquino who recently passed away. Everything was yellow- flowers, leaves and ribbons

post-1017-1251606796_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines