IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New photos of the Newport Beach coconut

Ryland

I was just passing through Newport Beach the other day and of course could not continue without seeing the palm. Thought I'd put some pictures up if anyone's interested.

post-3172-1251311438_thumb.jpg

post-3172-1251311425_thumb.jpg

post-3172-1251311455_thumb.jpg

post-3172-1251311471_thumb.jpg

post-3172-1251311484_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

That thing exists both to mock us and give us hope.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Someday those seeds will be in high demand!

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

So what is it about this specific location that allows a coconut to do so well, compared to other locations in Newport Beach? Obviously frost/cold is not a problem in Newport Beach. . .so is there something about this spot that has better soil, drainage, humidity, that it is planted in close quarters without much other plant material or soil around it? I'd imagine that the main problem with cocos in california is rotting out in the winter, but this obviously has made it through quite a few years. . .or have people just figured that this is somehow genetically superior and has nothing to do with where it was planted?

That's the best I've seen it. Bigger pic would be nice.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I am very happy to see this!! I have been wondering how this palm has been doing. Bill Dickenson was the first person to shoot me pics of this beauty.

My take on this.

It is surounded by asphault, which heats up in the day for the extra warmth that Cali does'nt provide, whether it's winter or summer. Also, there is a fire hydrant close by that might have a leak so that would help w/ the water issue as well. But maybe they irrigate it so that would not be a factor!!

Heat is the big factor, Cocos love and thrive w/ it!!! Also, the building probably blocks alot of the wind that normally would erase the heat issue too!!

Come on Cali guys!! Let's hear those feel-good stories about Cocos!!

Us Floridians are allways trying to grow Parajubaeas and things like that,,,, and i know you Cali guys are just sitting back and giggling!!!

But i would really love to see more Cocos in California, the world would be a much more beautifull place w/ more Cocos!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Looks pretty good but, at 29 years old, it makes a Beccariophoenix seem fast. I think the one in Del Mar looks better and seems to be faster.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Looking good.

From what I've learned about coconuts, they are fairly leaf hardy, and that's what you would expect from a beach dwelling plant that must handle hurricanes and cyclones, but the roots need to be kept warm all the time. Soil temps around 20C and daytime temps around 20C will allow the plant to survive provided the night temps aren't super cold, ie 5C or below for extended periods. Interestingly 20C and above is where coconut oil changes from a solid to a liquid. Is that a coincidence? I don't know.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Cool update pictures as well as that article.... Cheers to Bill Dickenson for his efforts over the years to preserve that palm! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Back in March 2005 , I visited Joes Crab shack, Newport beach.

While waiting to get a table... I walked over to the World Famous Newport beach coconut and took some photos.

It was one of those cold/overcast windy days, where we had to wear coats to enjoy the beach. Official High airtemp for the day was only 61f.

By 4 pm it was in the mid 50's.

I stuck an instant read thermometer into the soil at the base of the Coconut palm... it read 57f- 58f at about 4 inches deep.

Not scientific... but it shows that the thing can handle sub 60f degree surface soil.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Back in March 2005 , I visited Joes Crab shack, Newport beach.

While waiting to get a table... I walked over to the World Famous Newport beach coconut and took some photos.

It was one of those cold/overcast windy days, where we had to wear coats to enjoy the beach. Official High airtemp for the day was only 61f.

By 4 pm it was in the mid 50's.

I stuck an instant read thermometer into the soil at the base of the Coconut palm... it read 57f- 58f at about 4 inches deep.

Not scientific... but it shows that the thing can handle sub 60f degree surface soil.

Jeff

That is very interesting. Very cold soil and that thing keeps chugging. Hmm....well, you never know, do you.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I am very happy to see this!! I have been wondering how this palm has been doing. Bill Dickenson was the first person to shoot me pics of this beauty.

My take on this.

It is surrounded by asphalt, which heats up in the day for the extra warmth that Cali does'nt provide, whether it's winter or summer. Also, there is a fire hydrant close by that might have a leak so that would help w/ the water issue as well. But maybe they irrigate it so that would not be a factor!!

Heat is the big factor, Cocos love and thrive w/ it!!! Also, the building probably blocks alot of the wind that normally would erase the heat issue too!!

Come on Cali guys!! Let's hear those feel-good stories about Cocos!!

Us Floridians are allways trying to grow Parajubaeas and things like that,,,, and i know you Cali guys are just sitting back and giggling!!!

But i would really love to see more Cocos in California, the world would be a much more beautifull place w/ more Cocos!!

Very astute, Mark

Newport Beach is not much different than other beach cities in SoCal except, due to nearby mountains, offshore flow\ santa ana winds are fairly regular during winter. Newport Bay is fairly shallow & warmer than Laguna Beach ocean temps. Asphalt seems to do wonders for some tropicals. I recall a photo of a fully blooming delonix regia a few blocks from San Diego bay; the tree was surrounded by asphalt. The Newport coco probably is protected from strong wind.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Some of you have asked for a bigger picture. I've got a bigger one here of one of the shots (palmtalk won't let me put very big pictures up at the same time, and it's difficult for me to adjust the size). This palm always fascinates me, though I don't understand how it survives.

post-3172-1251857424_thumb.jpg

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Looks pretty good but, at 29 years old, it makes a Beccariophoenix seem fast. I think the one in Del Mar looks better and seems to be faster.

I've never heard of one in Del Mar... do you have pictures, or know of some on the internet?

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Incredible. That cocos is doing well after all these years. Hope more and more try cocos in so-cal. Haven t seen a pic of the del mar coconut in a while.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

post-3172-1252041492_thumb.jpg

This one was taken with my phone - turned out better than those from my camera!

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

I am from UK and often stay at the Holiday Inn Express on PCH on business trips which is just up from Joe's Crab shack and the Irish Pub. I have been known to pick up palm seeds from the Hotel car park! I must have walked past this a few times.

Just down the road on Riverside is the palm i photographed outside my clients office. I am not an expert but is it a Foxtail??

I am growing a seedling of this palm.

Small world!

post-282-1252087205_thumb.jpg

looks like an archontophoenix to me.

Yep Paul, fairly green looking under those leaves, looks like a bangalow (A.cunninghamiana).

Hi freddyuk, where is that ? UK, USA, where ? I can't tell from the local talk , "up from Joey Crabs, across from Bertha's Marine and Coal", etc.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yep Paul, fairly green looking under those leaves, looks like a bangalow (A.cunninghamiana).

Hi freddyuk, where is that ? UK, USA, where ? I can't tell from the local talk , "up from Joey Crabs, across from Bertha's Marine and Coal", etc.

Sorry guys very sloppy English speak. I meant up the sidewalk!!! One of my favourite visits is NB, always sunny!

Thanks for the feedback you guys are incredibly knowledgable. Who would have thought of carrying a thermometer around to measure soil temp. I have so much to learn.

Speaking of coconuts in Southern California, whatever happened in this thread?

Did Ashton and Danny end up planting a coconut?

not yet - got bogged down attempting to locate one of the "cold hardy" varieties (go figure)

the one I got him father's day last year stayed in a pot indoors & entered the nitrogen cycle last month

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Sorry guys very sloppy English speak. I meant up the sidewalk!!! One of my favourite visits is NB, always sunny!

Thanks for the feedback you guys are incredibly knowledgable. Who would have thought of carrying a thermometer around to measure soil temp. I have so much to learn.

Oh, that's clearer on where you are :hmm:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oh, that's clearer on where you are :hmm:

I'm in the UK - i am in Kent far southeastern tip of England. :D

• 1 year later...

Thought I would update at least the address. its at about 2430 pacific coast highway

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

thanks,you owe me 22 seconds for the time i spent on this. <_<

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Wow! It looks great now!!! I bet this threat gets up to 9 pages... Any takers??? :lol:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

thanks,you owe me 22 seconds for the time i spent on this.

you owe me more... :rolleyes:

Someone said recently that this palm croaked. Time for a drive by to investigate.

I drove by that area 3 times in the last month, didn't see it. But now that I know EXACTLY where to look, i probably won't get up near there! I know they were doing some construction near there...

its only a 25 min drive for you Vince :) if that..

If you check out the street view on Google maps (2430 pacific coast Highway, Newport Beach), it looks very sad. I wonder how recently the photo was taken but the famous Cocos was all yellow and brown, poor thing. Anyone know if it looks any better today?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Checked out that street view. I'd agree that it looks sad, but at least it still looks alive. It's rather amazing actually, given the last two chilly, wet winters. More recent updates/visuals would be appreciated.

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Someone said recently that this palm croaked. Time for a drive by to investigate.

are you sure someone said that,vince? pogobob said the one in san clemente had died,but he said it in a vague way so that at 1st some people thought he meant this one. :rolleyes:

@ bs man: pfffttt!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

[i'm in the UK - i am in Kent far southeastern tip of England. :D

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 2 weeks later...

Okay all ... went on a solo PRL (Palm Related Lunch) today and did a PRDB (Palm Related Drive By) of the infamous Newport Beach coconut.

As you can see, reports of its demise are greatly exaggerated. - gmp

post-3609-084279100 1311718584_thumb.jpg

post-3609-032726000 1311718597_thumb.jpg