IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fort Myers / Naples, FL

tropical1

Attached are some recent pictures from the Fort Myers and Naples area. Definitely a good area to grow palms.

Here are some coconut trees along the calooshatchee river.

post-341-1155260361_thumb.jpg

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Here are some nice royals, delonix regia, and some coconuts in the background.

post-341-1155260487_thumb.jpg

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

My son next to a Wodyetia at the Edison estate

post-341-1155260590_thumb.jpg

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Nice royals and fruiting archontophoenix at Edison estate.

post-341-1155260794_thumb.jpg

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Bactris gasipaes at ECHO farm

post-341-1155260919_thumb.jpg

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Coconuts field grown at a nursery

post-341-1155261014_thumb.jpg

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

The Naples pier.

post-341-1155261429_thumb.jpg

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Great pics Tropical1.

Where in NW Hillsborough are you?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

tropical1!

you lucky [expletive] that close to Naples . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Larry-

I live in  the Keystone/Odessa area south of Tarpon Springs rd.

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

The Archos and Wodyetia appear to be grown to potential heights, marvellous.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(tropical1 @ Aug. 11 2006,07:20)

Larry-

I live in  the Keystone/Odessa area south of Tarpon Springs rd.

You are not far from me.  I live about a mile south of downtown Tarpon off of Alt 19.

I drive through your area every day on the way to work (as I work in Temple Terrace).

Larry 

You are not far from me either, I live in Hutchison, just south of the veteran's.  

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Wow, thanks allot for those pics......although I live really close to those locations (I'm on Pine Island, another great palm growing location!), it's always nice to be reminded of just how fortunate i am to live in SW Fla.  ....if you took more photos post 'em if you get the time!

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Alan-

I am off boy scout road, I go down hutchinson every day. Larry you are close too. I will post some pics of my collection. I built the house in 1999 so some things are getting to be of nice size.

Amazon-

I did not get a pic of the arenga pinnata, but there are very large ones in St. Pete I will post a picture of.

Rusty I am planning on buying some land on Pine Island.

Here is a pic from Siesta Key a barrier island adjacent to Sarasota.

One thing that is really nice in Naples are the number of tall variety coconuts. Apparently, LY was not as bad in Naples. Unfortunately, I dont have any really good photos.

post-341-1155338945_thumb.jpg

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Thanks for posting your pictures. Boy....I can remember when people used to say,whats a Foxtail palm? I always enjoy seeing a large one doing so well.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Dave Butler @ Aug. 11 2006,21:38)

I agree with jeff those foxtails are nice, But there slowly turning into what we call down south as a belly button everyone has one. :P

Yep....Foxtails are the new Queens around here.  Just about everyone has one.

But.....one doesnt see too many of the size posted in the pic above!  Those are some real beauts.

Larry 

Hi Rusty,

We will be neighbors soon as I just bought a 1/2 acre in Bokeelia.  The island is a solid 10b.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray @ Tampa,Aug. 15 2006,09:21)

Hi Rusty,

We will be neighbors soon as I just bought a 1/2 acre in Bokeelia.  The island is a solid 10b.

Ray

Bokeelia? That's the NORTH end of Pine Island - why didn't you buy in the warmer SOUTH end?

Just kidding - glad to hear you made your move!

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

Hi Ray….congratulations on making the move south!  I really like living on the island, and there are allot of things that can be grown here, that cant just traveling 5 miles  due east…..hope to meet you when you make the move!

BTW, Tom, i live in the polar middle of the island, since there's more H2O on the north and south ends....darn, my A. catechu and P. pacifica sure are glad to see summer and the rainy season!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

(Ray @ Tampa,Aug. 15 2006,09:21)

Hi Rusty,

Ray

I just checked an amateur station on the south end of the island (St. James City) and here are the lows for the past three years (which is as far back as data goes)---

2004 - 41.3F

2005 - 39.2F

2006 - 41.2F

For comparison, here are Tampa AP's reported values--

2004 - 34.0F

2005 - 31.0F (This seems suspicious to me...)

2006 - 37.9F

You rat!

Larry 

Hi Rusty,

Ray

Ray,

I've been looking at some of the real estate on Pine Island - (after you told me about it)... Looks like you can still get some great deals there.... I have to make a trip down to check it out.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Hi Tom,

The northern end is the warmer end.  The north wind blows right over Charlotte Harbor before arriving at my location.  It's the same setup as Anna Maria Island with respect to Tampa Bay.  Anna Maria is warmer than Longboat Key further south.

How about posting a nice Borassus trunk photo.  You're still welcome to stop by my place anytime.

Ray

(BobbyinNY @ Aug. 15 2006,14:25)

Hi Rusty,

Ray

Ray,

I've been looking at some of the real estate on Pine Island - (after you told me about it)... Looks like you can still get some great deals there.... I have to make a trip down to check it out.

Bobby-

You enticed me to look for myself.

Sure enough you are right...there are some good deals on land down there.  Its far cheaper than land is in Tarpon Springs.  

But hot dang my commute to NE Tampa would s#$@!

Larry 

Bobby-

You enticed me to look for myself.

Sure enough you are right...there are some good deals on land down there.  Its far cheaper than land is in Tarpon Springs.  

But hot dang my commute to NE Tampa would s#$@!

Yeah I agree, Larry...... That's why..... When we move, I'm gonna make sure that I have enough put away to not have to work for a year if I have to - Otherwise I'd be forced into a job that I might not like.... Unfortunately, the ONLY good thing I can say about living in New York is the Financial aspect of it - My current job situation is perfect - it's gonna be hard to duplicate that somewhere else.... At least right away.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Aug. 15 2006,15:03)

[Yeah I agree, Larry...... That's why..... When we move, I'm gonna make sure that I have enough put away to not have to work for a year if I have to - Otherwise I'd be forced into a job that I might not like....

Ill bet the difference in housing costs might just cover that and then some Bobby :D

But, its is quite doubtful that youll be able to earn the same income down here as up there.  

I have co-workers in my group that work up that way and they make far more than the rest of us in other parts of the country.  Id say its at least 25% more as best as I can tell.

And, Florida isnt as cheap as it once was to live in.  Those days are pretty much over unfortunately.

Larry 

Hey Guys,

I have seen some great threads about some cool places to see palms posted on this board. This is just one of them. I guess I will need to show my area too.

In S.E. Florida we have, by far, the best  place to grow palms in the (mainland) U.S. The only reason we have this advantage can be attributed to Farchild Tropical Botanic Garden and our climate. If you don't have both of those you don't have a chance!

You should see the cool stuff we have around here, I will make a post. I will set my dang camera on low Res. so I do not have to go through the agony of downsizing my pics.

Just yesterday I saw 6, 10' Clear trunk,  Corypha umbracs in one yard! That is just the tip. Huge specimans abound in the Gables area and every decent gardener in town knows where to buy the rarest of specimens.

I have been growing palms for 43 years in this area and man has it been a ground swell movement. Those of you on the S.W. tip of humanity on the peninsula of Florida have a shot at growing this stuff but you better get a head start 'cause everyone is getting on the band wagon!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

And, Florida isnt as cheap as it once was to live in.  Those days are pretty much over unfortunately.

Even though things have flattened out allot, real estate all over SW Fl continues to climb, albeit now at a snails pace......and Pine Island is being eyed by the larger developers...the only hold up is a limit on developement based on hurricane evac, and that is up for grabs if the $ are right....

Bottom line.......if you have the $, buy now.

BTW, Bobby, (or anyone else) if you get the itch, I would be happy to send you some island property listings in the local rag......come on down, there's still plenty of room!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

ust yesterday I saw 6, 10' Clear trunk,  Corypha umbracs in one yard!

Hi Ken

What size yard would this bloke have ?

thanks

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

BTW, Bobby, (or anyone else) if you get the itch, I would be happy to send you some island property listings in the local rag......come on down, there's still plenty of room!

Rusty,

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what's available..... My wife and I are definitely moving south - just not sure where yet.... The more I can convince her that Florida is a great place to live, the better chance I have :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Ken Johnson @ Aug. 15 2006,15:36)

Hey Guys,

I have seen some great threads about some cool places to see palms posted on this board. This is just one of them. I guess I will need to show my area too.

In S.E. Florida we have, by far, the best  place to grow palms in the (mainland) U.S. The only reason we have this advantage can be attributed to Farchild Tropical Botanic Garden and our climate. If you don't have both of those you don't have a chance!

You should see the cool stuff we have around here, I will make a post. I will set my dang camera on low Res. so I do not have to go through the agony of downsizing my pics.

Just yesterday I saw 6, 10' Clear trunk,  Corypha umbracs in one yard! That is just the tip. Huge specimans abound in the Gables area and every decent gardener in town knows where to buy the rarest of specimens.

I have been growing palms for 43 years in this area and man has it been a ground swell movement. Those of you on the S.W. tip of humanity on the peninsula of Florida have a shot at growing this stuff but you better get a head start 'cause everyone is getting on the band wagon!

You want expensive. C'mon over to Southern California. That will give you a quick reality check.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Aug. 15 2006,16:41)

You want expensive. C'mon over to Southern California. That will give you a quick reality check.

Unfortunately, in the past few years certain parts of FL have approached SoCal type of housing costs.

An example is my uncle's house in Coral Gables.  He bought it in 1998 for $200,000 and some change.  He sold it this year for $1.2M.  

That type of appreciation is ridiculous and unwarranted IMO.  But, I am quite sure my uncle feels differently :D

Larry 

(Wal @ Aug. 15 2006,15:46)

ust yesterday I saw 6, 10' Clear trunk,  Corypha umbracs in one yard!

Hi Ken

What size yard would this bloke have ?

thanks

I guess the yard was a 20 acre deal out here in the Redland. Bigger than the yards in the urban areas but some of the guys with "ranch" size spreads realy fill up on palms. Even in Broward County we see the suburbs with BIG gardens.

Here is a picture of a fellow members yard where they have planted a line of C. bailyana.

post-50-1155679780_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Florida will unfortunately be as expensive as California in the next 10 years.  In my neighborhood, 2 bedroom, 1 bath homes are already selling for $300-350K.  Insane but true.

(epicure3 @ Aug. 15 2006,16:41)

(Ken Johnson @ Aug. 15 2006,15:36)

Hey Guys,

You want a REVERSE reality check.  Move to S. Texas.  One of the CHEAPEST areas in the country for housing.  It would give you guys REVERSE sticker shock.  You can still see new housing developments going in with brand new houses for little over 100K.  200K will get you a beautiful 4br, 2.5 or 3ba, 2 car garage, nice lot with decent square footage (2500, maybe even 3000).  I am not kidding.  But they are starting to climb, as developers realize this is the new HOT market, which means fast rising prices.  

Bobby, that is why I suggested S. TX.

So many choices...

(Ray, Tampa @ Aug. 15 2006,21:53)

Florida will unfortunately be as expensive as California in the next 10 years.  In my neighborhood, 2 bedroom, 1 bath homes are already selling for $300-350K.  Insane but true.

When I was in Brandon in the mid 90s that same house probably went for 60-70K.  In 1995, In Brandon, I bought a 1200 sq ft 3 br, 1.5 bath, 1 car for 70K, sold it a couple years later before the boom kicked in.  I see now online that the same house is worth way over 200K (300K??).  Why didn't I hang on to that house ???  I could have pocketed some change.

I don't know who decides these housing prices... But just a Condo in my area (2br, 2bath) is going for between 400,000 - 550,000 depending on amenities...  an average 2br rental is around 2200.00/month..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Ray, Tampa @ Aug. 15 2006,14:43)

Hi Tom,

How about posting a nice Borassus trunk photo.  You're still welcome to stop by my place anytime.

Ray

RaY,

OK, I posted the Borassus pic to the CFPACS Forum. Will try to visit you soon!

Tom

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88