IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How does Eastern Green Mamba snake

bubba

A cable company worker was biten by a poisonous Eastern Green Mamba snake in Hollywood, Florida during routine cable installation Aug. 20, 2009. Fortunately, he is making a full recovery after he was partially paralyzed.

I know we are bombarded by Pythons and Boas in Florida, which were imported pets. The Green Mamba is from South Africa and highly poisonous. Who and how would anyone get this snake into the US.?

What you look for is what is looking

A cable company worker was biten by a poisonous Eastern Green Mamba snake in Hollywood, Florida during routine cable installation Aug. 20, 2009. Fortunately, he is making a full recovery after he was partially paralyzed.

I know we are bombarded by Pythons and Boas in Florida, which were imported pets. The Green Mamba is from South Africa and highly poisonous. Who and how would anyone get this snake into the US.?

Gary L.

:D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I know we are bombarded by Pythons and Boas in Florida, which were imported pets. The Green Mamba is from South Africa and highly poisonous.

Who and how would anyone get this snake into the US.?

Apparently it's pretty easy. Green Mambas are sold in Florida:

"
We have a nice selection of mambas in stock. All are feeding. Asking $165 each plus shipping.
"

I know we are bombarded by Pythons and Boas in Florida, which were imported pets. The Green Mamba is from South Africa and highly poisonous.

"
We have a nice selection of mambas in stock. All are feeding. Asking $165 each plus shipping.
"

Who in their right mind would buy a venomous snake as a pet?! Especially a MAMBA!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

"
"

Who in their right mind would buy a venomous snake as a pet?! Especially a MAMBA!

The same kind of people that would let it escape or dump it. Should give you a clue. <_<

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Wow! Florida Statute 372.87 allows the issuance of a license to own and purchase venomous snakes without any major qualification(ie. mental exam) for $100.00 dollars a year. This State law apparently trumps local ordinances that make venomous snake ownership illegal.

It's great to know that your strange next door neighbor may legally have 500 Green Mambas crawling through his house for an annual fee of $100.00 bucks. I wonder if there are any similar laws proscribing Asbestos bartering.

Perhaps our legislature could mandate convenient sites expressly for the injection of the poisonous snake venom of the customers choice, thereby eliminating the hassle attendant to taking Black Mamba venom when you intended Green Mamba venom. This is great!

Bubba - are you refering to the same state government that sends sexual predators to reside in assisted living facilities so they may continue their modus operandi? I have little faith.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Unbelieveable! Well, got to go. Late for a meeting at my poisonous fungus farm.

OH!

That's what's in all those boxes marked bananas! :floor:

This is not good.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

I read about this. Apparently they "checked" (?) and everyone in the vicinity who was licensed to have a Green Mamba had their own personal Mamba in their possession and accounted for. So this one either supposedly escaped from some unknown source, like a shipping crate or something (yeah right), or escaped or was dumped by someone who possessed it illegally. Very very scary. We just relocated a 5 ft Eastern Diamondback off of our road. Its not enough to have to contend with the native venomous snakes, now there are snakes like Mambas floating around?

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

South Florida is the largest legal entry of venomous reptiles in the USA. You have to be licensed to keep these animals with the Fish and Wildlife Commision. Unlike the Burmese Pythons they can not be found for sale in regular petshops. Accidents do happen. The next Black Racer you see just might be a Black Mamba. Sleep Tight.

They are licensed just like guns much less easier to purchase--- I would worry more about guns and their irresponsible use. I dont hear any outcry about the many murders every day that occur from fire arms.

Ed

They are licensed just like guns much less easier to purchase--- I would worry more about guns and their irresponsible use. I dont hear any outcry about the many murders every day that occur from fire arms.

Ed

Guns don't kill people, ( bad ) people kill people... Along those lines... FAR more people are murder with automobiles each year than with guns, should we outlaw cars..?

Ed

Guns don't kill people, ( bad ) people kill people... Along those lines... FAR more people are murder with automobiles each year than with guns, should we outlaw cars..?

This is getting OT. Stick to the snakes. Guns and gun control seem to get people a little upset. Constitutional rights vs dead people and all.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

This is an interesting topic. Let's keep it alive by avoiding the politics of gun control.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

This is the big boy we had to relocated this last week. One of my dogs came to within a foot and a half of it before silly me even saw it.snake009.jpg

He was all curled up there and on the defensive because I threw a stick at him to try to get him to leave. Here he is stretched out like he was when we first 'happened upon" him. This place where he is is about 3 feet off of the asphalt road that leads to our house. People walk dogs and the like here everyday. I put myself in the photo for scale. My calh is about 13.5 inches around the muscle. This snake was as big around as my calfsnake004.jpg

The rattlesnake reminded me, one of my friends had his 2 dogs outside for a few hours and they heard some commotion, and the dogs had killed a pygmy rattler that was in their yard. He's really lucky they didn't get bitten, or they would have died.

The thought of a black racer really being a black mamba really scares me. They look the same to my eyes, and when I see a black racer I just resume normal business. A black mamba might not like that too much...

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Geez MetalFan. Your too lubbie dubbie. You let 'em get away!

That rattler wouldn't have stood a chance around here!

I would have reached for the .40cal not the camera!

Maybe some photos after the termination, that's it.

Too many kids around here for that bad boy to be roamin'...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Wow, now we have now exotic venomous snakes on the loose in FL! Do they attack monitor lizards, iguanas or pythons? How about bad drivers and rude obnoxious tourists ?

Sounds interesting as a pet but I don't have enough time to spend as my anthrax culture lab keeps me busy into the wee hours (just joking Homeland Security)

Reminds me of a story from here about 10 years ago. In the College Park are of Orlando, just north of downtown, a man went out into his garage around midnight one night and saw the tail of a snake sticking out from under a freezer. He got a broom and poked it and out came a 6ft king cobra reared up and ready to strike. I guess the guy about loaded himself, ran in and called the police. OPD showed up and sure enough there is a king cobra in the garage. It reared up at the officers and they shot it to death. Turns out it was a neighbors who was liscenced to own it. But the cobra was defanged so it was harmless. But hey, whos looking close enough at midnight when you find a king cobra in your garage ?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Gina,

That is a pretty big rattler! Woulda made a cool belt!

Importing venomous snakes is crazy. I bet we see some legislation soon. Maybe they should microchip all venomous snakes on import?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Maybe we should allow import of them at all!

I saw the story on the news and couldn't believe it was a green mamba. My husband and I just looked at each other.

Don't we have enough scary natives here without importing more?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Gina,

You did the right thing by relocating it. While not necessarily rare in Florida, their numbers are on the decline. Especially one as large as that.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

This is an interesting topic. Let's keep it alive by avoiding the politics of gun control.

I didnt mean to bring up gun control other than to juxtapose "rights are rights-" --a lot of folks came to Florida much like the west as it was frontier like and didnt have all these rules .

Ed

That is the 2nd one of that size that we have relocated, and the third of that size or larger that we have found on our road.

SNakes of that size do a pretty valuable service keeping down the rat, rabbit and skunk populations here in the semi-stix. I can't see killing them.

When I was about 5-6 yeas old, before we left and moved to South Texas, we lived in West Texas in Abilene. I was bitten on the ankle by a Western Diamondback, the kissing cousin of the Eastern DB in the photos. It was a very small snake, and it wasn't even a direct envenomation...it was a 'graze', a glancing blow. But it was enough to turn my leg black from tissue discoloration all the way up to the knee. I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I can only imagine what a rattler as big as this one could do to someone. But still, its not right to just whack it out of hand.

That is the 2nd one of that size that we have relocated, and the third of that size or larger that we have found on our road.

SNakes of that size do a pretty valuable service keeping down the rat, rabbit and skunk populations here in the semi-stix. I can't see killing them.

When I was about 5-6 yeas old, before we left and moved to South Texas, we lived in West Texas in Abilene. I was bitten on the ankle by a Western Diamondback, the kissing cousin of the Eastern DB in the photos. It was a very small snake, and it wasn't even a direct envenomation...it was a 'graze', a glancing blow. But it was enough to turn my leg black from tissue discoloration all the way up to the knee. I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I can only imagine what a rattler as big as this one could do to someone. But still, its not right to just whack it out of hand.

Gina,

Supposedly a bite from a younger venomous snake is worse than that of an adult. It takes quite a bit of energy to produce venom and I guess the older snakes "learn" that it doesn't take much to get the job done or just gain more control on the release. The younger snakes release more venom in a strike. Also, in some species, the venom is actually more potent in younger snakes. Although I don't think this is the case with our rattlers.

Bubba,

Many folks have snake breeding operations in residential communities. I've been to a house in Gainesville, that looked like a normal ranch style house in a middle class neighborhood that was basically a snake breeding lab inside. The fellow had several big "breeder" pythons and boas and a few select poisonous snakes including an albino cobra and 4 or 5 gaboon vipers (possibly the coolest looking snake that I've seen) amongst a myriad of other species that he was raising for the pet trade. The owner had all of the proper permits and his house was basically a fortress/clinic. He actually employed university students as interns. I still wouldn't want to be his neighbor and I'm sure his other neighbors had no idea what was going on in the house.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

"
"

Now that is interesting they only ship via Delta Airlines door to door service. I used to work as an airfreight agent and baggage handler in the US many years ago. Sometimes even the best packages get broken. It would be no fun to have one of these jump out at you in the belly of a plane. When I first started working for Western Airline in Montana in 1970 some of the planes used to overnight there. One morning when the crew came in to fly the plane the found a rattlesnake sunning itself in the captains seat.

At Diamond Reptile the Green mambas are sold out, Diamond Reptile Price List, but the spitting cobra is still available as are some other real nice pets. I really have a hard time understanding why someone would want a poisonous snake in their home. I can see having them in the bush, the do keep certain vermin under control. But, at home that I find a bit strange. At the bottom of the price list you can get a pair of Nile Crocs for just 1,800 USD. Then they could be let go in the Everglades to control the pythons. That would make a great addition to Florida´s wildlife.

And, for a change from Palmtalk there is the Venemous Snakes Forum, Snake Forum .

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

ninety five percent of those licensed to keep venomous reptiles follow all the rules. They maintain the animals properly in correct locked cages. But you will always have those idiots who will sell and buy these animals illegally. Just like you have bad gun owners the same with animals.

I would say 5 percent is enough to allow accidents to happen, and new species to spread in a non native habitat.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I am going out on a limb with no intention of offending anyone's self dignity to state in my humble opinion that one hundred bucks a throw for a license to lawfully hold 500 Green Mambas in your house is out in left field. This is especially true in a State where the Glades and who knows where else is over run by non-native species expanding exponentially.

I grew up with snakes and all sorts of reptiles. I still remember my best friend picking up what he thought was a small King snake until I yelled red and yellow kill a fellow. He threw that Coral snake 50 feet into the air.

They will put you behind locked doors for doing 95 on 95 but 500 Green Mambas are no concern as long as you mail Charlie a Benjamin?

:violin: Bubba - sadly I think you summed it up pretty well :crying::badday::bemused:

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

South Florida has been a hub for importing and exporting exotic animals for over fifty years. Before the seventies you did not need a license to keep these animals. Considering the amounts of exotics being brought in over all these years. There has not been many incidents like the Mamba. What I find interesting is how the reptiles of all the different species have been the most adaptable. Red Headed Agamas, Curly Tail's, Green Iguana's, Bahamian Anole, and of course the Burmese Python. I don't think venomous reptiles will find a strong hold here.

This is a sign of what a rich nation does with it´s money, or rather the people do with theirs. I do not think you will find many africans collecting green Mambas to keep as a pet. Here in Brazil it is illegal to keep most any wild animal as a pet. To do so you need a permit from IBAMA the federal environmental administration, and this is very difficult to obtain. It is virtually impossible to go to a pet store and buy a Brazilian parrot. Due to the fact that almost none are raised in captivity and have legal documents to be sold. That does not mean that there is not a large illegal animal trade. There is and it is a major activity world wide. And, it leads to species depletion. How many green mambas probably get killed to have one that survives it´s trip to the States and is eventually sold to a happy serpent collector. It is just like companies stamping sustainable source for the decking they sell that comes from Brazil. I work in the lumber business and am quite aware that over the years much of the deck lumber, ipe, has come from illegal deforestation. The fact that it is exported with a legal document does not necessarily mean that it comes from a sustainable source. I imagine that this is the same for the pet trade. I did not see any bushmaster snakes for sale. Maybe there are some, but from here it would be impossible to get one out of the country. But, some probably do leave via one form or another.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg