IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix

Gileno Machado

Zeeth the pic in Post 36 is really special IMO. Imagine a forest of them. I reckon they are the coconut alternative for pool plantings in California and southern Australia, and even a driveway coconut alternative for the tropics etc where falling coconuts tend to destroy cars.

Beautiful. :drool:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

They look better than any coconut I've ever seen - more shiny and full looking - like a good head of hair (though not mine!).

Just wish I could convince my alfedii'd to grow a bit faster....

Great photo's thanks.

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Keith for this pics. :drool::drool::drool:

I was drooling from the first to the last one,specially #39,were the alfrediis are growing near that little stream (looks like our ´´lajeados´´ streaming trough the campos vegetation here) Fantastic pics. Very nice collor on the fruits!

Why the spathas were bundeled with an inflorescence in the last pic? Collecting pollen??? Do you know???

Pic of a ´´lajeado´´,only they are surrounded by S.romanzoffiana and araucaria angustifolia....

http://canionturismo.com.br/cambara-do-sul/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lajeado-da-margarida.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Superb habitat photos Zeeth, thanx for sharing...I hadn't realized how B. alfredi thrives in such rather dry conditions, restricted to valleys in humid microclimates...Now I may keep my seedlings in the dry side for the winter.

Hey Alberto...are you growing Beccarios down there in your lajeados yet? Do you want a big seedling that I can take down to Rio next month?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hey Alberto...are you growing Beccarios down there in your lajeados yet? Do you want a big seedling that I can take down to Rio next month?

Hi Gileno,

B.alfredii was on my list for´´ must have´´ for several years,and when RPS was selling them for the first time some years ago,I imediatelly bought 20 seeds and I planted them out now for one or two years here in Carambeí and also in warmer Tibagi... and they are thrriving. I only can hope that someday I´ll see a beauty like this on this shots, growing here!!!:drool:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Holy F#$K those Beccariophoenix alfredii's look like coconuts. Thanks for the pic Zeeth! :drool::mrlooney:

CoconutFreak.

Northern Sydney, Central Coast Region. Zone 10a.

Temperature Extremes: -4 to +43

Warm Oceanic Temperate/Humid Subtropical Climate.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

I have two Beccariophoenix sp Windows seedlings, but sorry have no photos yet. Will try to take some soon. :(

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

I have two in the ground for maybe a year on average. They went in at different times. The Alfredii went in the ground in July of '08 , Madagascarensis ground in August of '09

Here are two of each. Alfred :-) first. Lost it's windows if it really ever had any.

Madagascarensis still has windows, but the leaves are very yellow. Gotta add something to the soil. this is the only palm of over 100 in the ground showing such yellow leaves.

Both were bought from Jeff Marcus back in 2008.

post-140-12693227148213_thumb.jpg

post-140-12693227539814_thumb.jpg

post-140-12693227879222_thumb.jpg

post-140-12693228052057_thumb.jpg

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

This is my Beccariophoenix window form.

MIke

post-250-12693306371512_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

This is my Beccariophoenix window form.

MIke

Nice Palm Mike. Nice Ranch Hand Also... :lol:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Nice pics guys.

Steve, some iron would help the windows form, throw some Blood meal down and it should green up.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I am looking to buy a cpl of the B.Alfedii. Can anyone help me find some that are one gallon sized?? I'll order seedlings if that is all i can find!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I have two in the ground for maybe a year on average. They went in at different times. The Alfredii went in the ground in July of '08 , Madagascarensis ground in August of '09

Here are two of each. Alfred :-) first. Lost it's windows if it really ever had any.

Madagascarensis still has windows, but the leaves are very yellow. Gotta add something to the soil. this is the only palm of over 100 in the ground showing such yellow leaves.

Both were bought from Jeff Marcus back in 2008.

"this is the only palm of over 100 in the ground showing such yellow leaves."

IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON and some more iron, they are iron hogs and croak without it.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I am looking to buy a cpl of the B.Alfedii. Can anyone help me find some that are one gallon sized?? I'll order seedlings if that is all i can find!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

JD in the OC has some that I know of, also Floribunda

Keith 

Last night I took photos of the largest of 5 B. alfredii I germinated easily from seed last year and the B. madagascariensis I bought from Jeff Searle in spring 2009. It has more than doubled in size since I planted it from a 3g and sailed through our wretched winter with only minor tip burn. I brought the B. alfrediis inside only when temps fell below freezing because they were in 1g pots and I feared root damage from cold. Very robust palms.

Beccariophoenix alfredii in 1g and B. madagascariensis in ground

post-1349-12694417031443_thumb.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii

post-1349-12694417602012_thumb.jpgpost-1349-12694417837758_thumb.jpg

Beccarophoenix madagascariensis

post-1349-12694418312598_thumb.jpgpost-1349-12694418548478_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here's a group of Beccario from Mark Daish's in Babinda NQ.

post-51-1269458825315_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Those are fabulous Beccariophoenix in Babinda.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

JD in the OC has some that I know of, also Floribunda

Thanks for the info Keith,

I ordered a 7gallon this morning from JD in the OC!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Those are some lovely Beccarios Wal!

Mark, make sure to post pics when you get it!

Keith 

Meg, what kind of temps did your Becc. Mad. see??? Good to hear it only had minor tip burn. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Meg, what kind of temps did your Becc. Mad. see??? Good to hear it only had minor tip burn. Jv

JV, my B. mad. took multiple nights below 40 and days below 55. On Jan. 9 we got persistent rain past dark with daytime temps below 39 that fell to freezing that night. On Jan. 10 temps reached 40s with gale-force winds. I was able to cover it with a t-shirt before nightfall. The morning of Jan. 11 low reached 28.5. Nights the rest of the week hovered near freezing. Considering the bashing this palm took this winter - temps have been running 10-20 degrees below normal until this last week - it is bouncing back fine. I'm thinking of planting my 1g B. alfredii near its cousin.

My in-ground palms in the back yard are running 25%+ death toll. I think I've lost all my Pinangas, as well as my Hydriasteles, Rhopaloblastes, Arecas and Euterpes. Yesterday we pulled out two P. speciosas. Today we pulled our 5' Licuala grandis. And I'm getting bad vibes about the Bentinckia, Cocos, and worst of all, the Areca concinna. A lot of stuff that seemed to survive the Jan. 9-11 major hit may have been done in by months of below normal chill. In the next few weeks I'll post a final death toll.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, thanks for the update. Yes it's been a terrible winter and I kept pulling my potted B.Mad inside every time we were heading into the 20s or lower. By accident, I did leave it out on the last hard freeze where it saw and survived 26F. The palm has about 40-50% frond burn but seems to be growing. Clearly this will need to be a potted palm for me and my location but I'll enjoy it none the less... Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 2 months later...

Got two 40 cm b. alfredii, as said above, both in full sun, well drained position.

One has never grown anything.

The other has grown a little, but is showing yellow sunburning leaves damage. I am worried... :(

post-3292-12777378147663_thumb.jpg

Hello Zeeth! :)

Got two 40 cm b. alfredii, as said above, both in full sun, well drained position.

The other has grown a little, but is showing yellow sunburning leaves damage. I am worried... :(

They may possibly have been shade grown, or could just be acclimating to your position. Seaweed and Fish emulsion should help them out a bit. Wait until they're growing well to apply fertilizer. How long have they been in the ground?

Keith 

They may possibly have been shade grown, or could just be acclimating to your position. Seaweed and Fish emulsion should help them out a bit. Wait until they're growing well to apply fertilizer. How long have they been in the ground?

They are in the ground for two months.

In the meanwhile i got another one, a gift, from the same nursery, but i am a little worried about puting it in the ground.

I am 900 mts from the sea, have a good humidity ratio, salt winds, not very strong sun (coastal sun).

They are in the ground for two months.

In the meanwhile i got another one, a gift, from the same nursery, but i am a little worried about puting it in the ground.

I am 900 mts from the sea, have a good humidity ratio, salt winds, not very strong sun (coastal sun).

Hmm, it sounds like they may be growing a lot of roots under that ground. It seems like this species will grow underground before they do above ground. You might want to keep the one in the pot so you have something to grow while the other 2 are creeping along. I'd say you should grow the other one until it starts putting out leaves with the windows in them, and then adjust it slowly out into the full sun, and maybe plant it when it has fully pinnate leaves. Your conditions sound good for this palm, so once you get them growing, they should do fine.

Keith 

Rafael,

My one has been planted for a few months now and it got Sunburnt. I put a mini "G" over it to increase the temps, the new frond looks a lot better but still has a bit of sunburn even under the mini "G". I shall leave it in there untill this time next year. When hopefully it should have acclimasied by then.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Rafael, it is a miniture plastic green house.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Rafael, mine burnt in the hot summer sun too, I had to put some shade cloth over it. Now that its cold here I took the cloth away and its coping perfectly with our winter sun so it will be well acclimatised by summer.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I would replace those pretty white rocks with some nice thick mulch. I have one in full sun and looks great.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I planted a couple B. madagascariensis at least two or three years back and a couple are still in pots (same age):

post-3769-12781318485061_thumb.jpgpost-3769-12781317638963_thumb.jpg :unsure: the ones in the ground don't seem to be growing any faster than the potted one :(

post-3769-12781321077604_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, both the potted ones and the ones in the ground are getting quite a bit of shade. :huh:

Edited by hanapalms

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

• 6 months later...

Zeeth, I've seen these pics before, (post 33-40) but never tire of them. Thanks for posting. It also shows the conditions they will handle as seedlings. The ones under canopy look quite happy, and they don't seem to mind growing en masse, all clumped together. This species would make a beautiful pool side coconut palm alternative in cooler areas. I'm going to plant at least one of all the species in my front balinese courtyard garden when I build it. A few alfredii should be put in I think. Maybe 6. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...

I have a beccariophoenix alfredii WITH WINDOWS--is this normal for alfredii? How fast is alfredii compared to the other two? I got it out of a greenhouse--should I acclimate it to full sun before I plant it, or just plant it?