IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix

Gileno Machado

Liana's backyard in the farm. These are fast growers...they've doubled in size in the last 18 months, since I've seen them for the first time. Still keeping the "windows" but I guess it won't last long at this point, for the next fronds (?)... Beautiful palms aren't they?

post-157-1250815837_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

post-157-1250816012_thumb.jpg

last windows

post-157-1250816083_thumb.jpg

Liana's backyard in the farm. These are fast growers...they've doubled in size in the last 18 months, since I've seen them for the first time. Still keeping the "windows" but I guess it won't last long at this point, for the next fronds (?)... Beautiful palms aren't they?

:drool:

I have a small alfredii, nothing much to look at yet.

DSC01394.jpg

Hopefully in a few years it'll look nice and big. I'm going to grow it in a 6 gallon pot for 2 years, then plant it on it's side so it curves like a coconut, so it'll look even coconuttier.

I also plan to try to grow one indoors. I've not heard of them tried out in an indoor environment, so I thought I may try it out.

Edit: Hmm, your picture didn't show up above the drool thing... you get the point though

Edited by Zeeth

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Nice one Zeeth. I'm also growing several just about the size of yours...my B. alfredii is a little smaller though.

Btw, have those coconuts sprouted yet? Aren't they too exposed there in your summer? I believe coconuts sprout best in semi-shade, with warmth and humidity...no need to place them in full sun. Good luck...

Just got this B. madagascariensis in the ground about a month ago and I can already see noticeable growth. Even in the juvenile stage it's such a

beautiful palm.

Tim

post-1300-1250817737_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice one Zeeth. I'm also growing several just about the size of yours...my B. alfredii is a little smaller though.

Btw, have those coconuts sprouted yet? Aren't they too exposed there in your summer? I believe coconuts sprout best in semi-shade, with warmth and humidity...no need to place them in full sun. Good luck...

None yet. They actually only get about 2 hours of sun from 9 am to 11 am. After that the house completely shades them. When I get my Bermuda cocos I'll sprout them in the complete shade and put them in the sun after they sprout to maybe get a better chance at them sprouting. I'm thinking about carefully opening the big one with no water in it to see if it's a dud or not. I'm also thinking about moving the Beccariophoenix into full sun. It's a pretty fast grower, my only palm that's faster so far is the Hurricane palms I got from Ray, but I heard they're faster when they get full sun. I'm going to keep it in the pot until we buy a house, as this is one palm I don't want to leave when we move.

Also, has anyone tried any crosses with the Beccarios? Maybe a Windows X no windows, or an Alfredii X windows. It'd be cool if it was like a foxy lady, faster and more cold tolerant than either parent.

Keith

Keith 

Zeeth,

Or, how about a Cocos x Beccariophoenix?? Jeff Searle gets Beccariophoenix pollen off his large ones I think...

Zeeth,

Or, how about a Cocos x Beccariophoenix?? Jeff Searle gets Beccariophoenix pollen off his large ones I think...

I would also be interested in one of these. I was told it wasn't highly likely, but if Mark can make a Butia X Cocos, I suppose this would be more plausible. I think the windows form would be good to try it out on, but a cross with the alfredii would be the most ideal. Too bad it'll be a couple of years before we can get pollen from those. Doesn't Jeff have an 8 year old alfredii? It's either him or another person in S Fl, so it should only be a couple of years before he gets pollen from that to try some cocos crosses. We should convince Jeff to try some hybridization!

Keith

Keith 

B. madagascariensis is probably my best growing palm: fast and tough as nails, handling sun and wind with ease. The tree in the first shot was planted from a 15 gallon pot about 4 years ago. The leaves now stretch about 15 feet high and the trunk is almost 2 feet in diameter. You can get a better idea of its size in the second shot which shows its place in the garden; it's the tallest tree in the upper middle part of the shot. The other trees on the right include Ravenea rivularis, Calyptronoma rivalis, and Clinostigma ponapense. The only drawback to its fast growth is that the leaf windows have now disappeared.

I seem to have so many trees that struggle, it's nice to have at least one that's an unqualified success.

Mike

post-1659-1250834070_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1250834091_thumb.jpg

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

I guess I should have referred to the tree in my post as Beccariophoenix "windows" instead of B. madagascariensis. I'm also growing B. madagascariensis but it's been much slower than the windows version so far.

Mike

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

B. madagascariensis is probably my best growing palm: fast and tough as nails, handling sun and wind with ease. The tree in the first shot was planted from a 15 gallon pot about 4 years ago. The leaves now stretch about 15 feet high and the trunk is almost 2 feet in diameter. You can get a better idea of its size in the second shot which shows its place in the garden; it's the tallest tree in the upper middle part of the shot. The other trees on the right include Ravenea rivularis, Calyptronoma rivalis, and Clinostigma ponapense. The only drawback to its fast growth is that the leaf windows have now disappeared.

I seem to have so many trees that struggle, it's nice to have at least one that's an unqualified success.

Mike

Nice, you should get an alfredii too to test the differences. Where are you located?

Keith 

Kieth, our house is on the road to Hana on the island of Maui. No problem with cold temperatures and we usually get good rainfall, but we are also in the direct path of the tradewinds which can rip tender trees to shreds. I'll look into getting B. alfredii. I know that Jeff Marcus at Floribunda sells seedlings. Mike

Kieth, our house is on the road to Hana on the island of Maui. No problem with cold temperatures and we usually get good rainfall, but we are also in the direct path of the tradewinds which can rip tender trees to shreds. I'll look into getting B. alfredii. I know that Jeff Marcus at Floribunda sells seedlings. Mike

Ok, anything grows in Hawaii... I think once alfredii starts flowering in captivity there needs to be some cocos crosses tried out. Maybe it'll have hybrid vigor... Nice Windows forms though. You must have good soil, because I hear that the windows version is fussy about nutrients.

Keith 

Since you are on Maui, don't waste time w/seedling. I've decided to only buy 1 gallon palms from Jeff. Average price including shipping is only $11.

Beautiful garden. Don't know how you keep it looking so "clean".

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I guess I should have referred to the tree in my post as Beccariophoenix "windows" instead of B. madagascariensis. I'm also growing B. madagascariensis but it's been much slower than the windows version so far.

Mike

Hi Mike - Yeah Beccariophoenix madagascariensis (no window form) is much slower growing than the B. sp. window form. BTW, your palms are really coming along nicely there on Maui. Here is a pic of mine taken back in March. '09.

post-90-1250891859_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thanks for the compliment, Al. It's funny how different B. madagascariensis looks from the windows form when they're juveniles. But Jeff Marcus said he could scarcely tell adult forms of the plants apart. I imagine that's been the reason for the confusion between the different species (or variants) for so many years.

And, Steve, I got a kick out of your comment on how clean the garden looked. Believe me, it wasn't always that way. I've attached a photo of the same area (albeit looking the opposite direction) taken in May, 2006. That shot was taken after some initial clean up and debris removal to get ready to plant the Raveneas and Calyptronomas that fill out this part of the garden. You can see the same Beccariophoenix from my earlier post off to the left in this shot; it hadn't even formed a trunk yet three years ago. You can also see the tangle of koas, guavas, and bananas that used to overrun this part of the garden. The second shot below shows helpers I hired - professional tree movers - to help me plant out the area. I guess that a clean look doesn't come cheap or easy.

Mike

post-1659-1250899685_thumb.jpg

post-1659-1250899698_thumb.jpg

I have one too. B. madagascarensis, windows. Bought last year as one gallon plant. Been sitting in the shade house for a year. Planted it out about a month ago.

post-140-1250940847_thumb.jpg

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

About three years ago I purchased seeds from RPS that were listed as Beccariophoenix sp."Coastal form".I am always interested in new palms that have potential for my beach garden and these seemed to fit the criteria.They have been slow and today this one is going to be planted.

Imagen073.jpg

Imagen071.jpg

As you can see they have no "windows". Did anyone else purchase these seeds? I just looked on the RPS archive and they no longer list any Becarriophoenix sp. Coastal form.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I purchased this Beccariophoenix alfredii at the South Florida Palm Society Sale at Montgomery Botanical Center this last March. It was in a seven gallon container. The palm has opened two leaves and has a spike emerging. It appears that it has responded well to the spot I choose and the soil amendments made. :rolleyes:

Ron. :)

post-1729-1250956200_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1250956275_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for the compliment, Al. It's funny how different B. madagascariensis looks from the windows form when they're juveniles. But Jeff Marcus said he could scarcely tell adult forms of the plants apart. I imagine that's been the reason for the confusion between the different species (or variants) for so many years.

And, Steve, I got a kick out of your comment on how clean the garden looked. Believe me, it wasn't always that way. I've attached a photo of the same area (albeit looking the opposite direction) taken in May, 2006. That shot was taken after some initial clean up and debris removal to get ready to plant the Raveneas and Calyptronomas that fill out this part of the garden. You can see the same Beccariophoenix from my earlier post off to the left in this shot; it hadn't even formed a trunk yet three years ago. You can also see the tangle of koas, guavas, and bananas that used to overrun this part of the garden. The second shot below shows helpers I hired - professional tree movers - to help me plant out the area. I guess that a clean look doesn't come cheap or easy.

Mike

Mike,

That first shot looks more like my place :rolleyes:

About three years ago I purchased seeds from RPS that were listed as Beccariophoenix sp."Coastal form".I am always interested in new palms that have potential for my beach garden and these seemed to fit the criteria.They have been slow and today this one is going to be planted.

Imagen073.jpg

Imagen071.jpg

As you can see they have no "windows". Did anyone else purchase these seeds? I just looked on the RPS archive and they no longer list any Becarriophoenix sp. Coastal form.

Scottgt - My understanding is that you have the true Beccariophoenix madigascariensis (no window form) just as I have also. That form is supposed to do well near coastal areas. Yes, they are rather slow growers (at least during their young growth stage). Your plant looks very healthy. Just don't get discouraged if it's growth seems rather slow.

That seems to be its nature.

Al in Kona

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Here are the 3 growing here. These 3 are planted near each other and there is a Cocos nucifera 'Green Malayan' and 'Panama Tall' next to them so if they can cross, maybe some hybrids will show in the near future.

B. alfredii

img_1996.jpg

B. madagascariensis (which it turns out isn't madagascariensis), (windows form)

img_1328.jpg

B. sp. "no windows" (which is the true B. madagascariensis)

img_1523.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have one too. B. madagascarensis, windows. Bought last year as one gallon plant. Been sitting in the shade house for a year. Planted it out about a month ago.

Ok, if the B. madagascarensis, windows is not true B. madagascarensis what is it? :hmm:

Ok, if the B. madagascarensis, windows is not true B. madagascarensis what is it? :hmm:

Steve,

Not offically named yet (no species name that is) as I understand. Guess you'll just have to call it Beccariophoenix 'window form' for now. You have a nice one started at your place Steve. For whatever reason I do not have one yet. I've heard that when mature all three species can be hard to tell apart.

Al in Kona

Nice sunsets!

I've killed every windows type I've had, in the pots and in the ground. They don't like our long cool season, most definitely.

Alfredii, "no-window" and others seem to do much better.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here are couple of shots of my 2.

First on the left is Beccariophoenix alfredii.

Second on the right is Beccariophoenix madagascariensis.

post-184-1251202323_thumb.jpg

post-184-1251202346_thumb.jpg

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Here's two of mine.

post-51-1251420645_thumb.jpg

post-51-1251420657_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Beautiful palms..............nothing much more to say.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Here is a picture of some at the Cairns Botanical Gardens.

Mike

post-250-1251493803_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Hey Mike, those are fabulous looking beccario's.... they appear like an extra lush coconut palm! Can't wait for mine to grow up! Thanks for posting. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 6 months later...

Bumping this topic with some habitat photos of Beccariophoenix alfredii given to me by Mijoro Rakotoarinivo

post-3598-12692166032933_thumb.jpg

Keith