IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Prettiest, most colourful Palm species - what do you think?

Delilah

Hi

Which palm species have you grown (or seen) that you think have the loveliest display of colour? Of course there're C.renda but that won't grow far beyond the tropics. I'm especially interested in colourful palms that can cope with sub-tropical and cooler environments.

Edited by Delilah

I support...

Who's Ya Doggy? Lost & Found Dogs Online (free public service)

Go there if you have lost your dog, or if you have found someone else's dog.

I vote for Chambeyronia macrocarpa.

I have several under oak canopy that didn't skip a beat this past winter...

I've seen 24F here in Brandon...

What's your max low in your area?

I'm sure the Ozzies'll chime in shortly...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

There are many other New Caledonian species that would definitely meet the requirements.

Ron. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Calytrocalyx hollrungii with its lovely purple new leaves that keep that colour for ages. Also Euterpe sp orange crownshaft is another one for a warm temperate area that puts on a nice display. Livistona mariae gives a brilliant yellow floral display and plenty of it too. Hope this was of some help.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I love the blue bismarkia... :winkie:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Areca vestiaria ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Alberto,

Are you finding that palm to be more cool weather hardy than a regular Euterpe edulis? Is it the same palm others are calling 'Orange crownshaft'?

And last but not least, how can I get seeds!? Thanks for posting that- It's gorgeous. Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Archie purpurea . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Actinokentia divaricata

img_1674.jpg

Archontophoenix purpurea

img_0728.jpg

Arenga engleri

ee7f.jpg

Phoenix pusilla

54a4.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

What about...

-Areca vestiaria

-Pinanga dicksonii

-Archontophoenix purpurea

-Neoveitchia storkii (I put this in becuase I really think its a zone 10b and maybe even a 10a palm based on my personal experience).

-Satakentia liukiuensis

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Alberto,

Are you finding that palm to be more cool weather hardy than a regular Euterpe edulis? Is it the same palm others are calling 'Orange crownshaft'?

And last but not least, how can I get seeds!? Thanks for posting that- It's gorgeous. Perry

I bought 3 little palms at a nursery near the Jardim Botãnico in Rio de Janeiro +- 10 years ago. I planted the palms below dense canopy) but they all died after a hard freeze....

Growing at 1000m in Espírito Santo state ,they probably like cooler weather than sea level euterpes,but aren´t frost hardy.

RPS was selling seeds some time ago,if I remember well.

I don´t know how it is called in English....

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

No question... I realize that you wanted sub tropical palms.

This girl from Noon nook bot. garden in Thailand is just too beautiful not to post.

Jeff

post-116-1250783830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Or these from the same park.

They migh grow in the sub tropics.

Jeff

post-116-1250784024_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

What about Darold Petty's Geonoma undata? That must qualify for the most colorful cold-climate palm. Pictured in this recent post:

Darold Petty Garden

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Actinokentia divaricata is realtively cold tolerant and has color on newly open leaves. :drool:

Ron. :)

post-1729-1250957445_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1250957497_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B