IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pious and Curious go to Hawaii

www.dadluvsu.com

Is it Photoshop work? or a Wonderland? Is it real?

I am very impressed, everything looks more, more, more than usual...
Wonderful pictures and so many strange plants.

Singapore seems very common if I compare! But it's far!

Thanks for so beautiful pics!

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just to make you a little jealous - we drove by your place weekend before last and scoped it out from the road on our way to Akaka falls - but, alas, we are on our way back to the mainland today - gmp

Happy to share with ya'll! Glad you enjoyed!

Completely daydreamin of our little village today... :indifferent::interesting:

untitled_zps7be02ec2.png

My cubicle sucks.

Post the Google Map coordinates of your land so we can zoom in and fly around.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make you a little jealous - we drove by your place weekend before last and scoped it out from the road on our way to Akaka falls - but, alas, we are on our way back to the mainland today - gmp

Doc G, I'm guessin' it was fenced? and furrows were put in place for Okinawan potato?

Doc G, I'm guessin' it was fenced? and furrows were put in place for Okinawan potato?

Not where we were looking - maybe we were on the wrong section of the road - but I don't recall seeing anything along that side of the road tillered/furrowed. Guess we're going to have to go back :) - gmp

• 3 weeks later...

Not soon enough Cindy! Aiming for early 2015; we have an Okinawan Potato farmer leasing the land (that's who prepared the land in the video posted above) until April 2015, but I would like to get there a few months early to start making preparations for our farm. We just finalized our house plans and are going to start getting quotes from builders.

Anyone have any good suggestions of who we might call to build the house?

William,

I live down the road in Hakalau. There are multiple reputable, quality builders here in E. HI who know the area and its unique construction characteristics well. That said, we went with Kavana Homes. Kavana Homes, owned by Peter Vana and Don Kawaohao, has been building in the area for years. They offer a variety of plans. We took one of their plans and modified it to suit our own needs. The construction quality was top notch and we love our home. I think it is important to examine multiple possible builders, but I did want to mention Kavana since we had such a good experience with them.

Dave

Not soon enough Cindy! Aiming for early 2015; we have an Okinawan Potato farmer leasing the land (that's who prepared the land in the video posted above) until April 2015, but I would like to get there a few months early to start making preparations for our farm. We just finalized our house plans and are going to start getting quotes from builders.

Anyone have any good suggestions of who we might call to build the house?

PM Bo - The guy who did his new house did a great job, efficiently, and with a eye to quality and detail - gmp

Thanks for the referral Dave. I will definitely check them out. Can't wait to get over there and tour your fruit trees!

George, I got Kevin's number from Bo already... Only heard good things about him, and Bo's house looked real nice from what I saw. Thank you.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow.....just enjoyed all the pictures again! Some really beautiful palms and plants. When do you think the house will be finish? Any updated pictures with the house, palms planted(?) and of course April!

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 5 months later...

Bought one way tickets for me and the kids in early June, that was a cool feeling!  House is completed, just needs some owner touches...  Gonna have projects for the rest of my life it seems and l'm looking forward to it!  No palms (or any plants for that matter) in the ground yet.  I have suppressed every impulse purchase each time I set foot on the land.  I am really commited to putting a farm plan in place and thinking through it as much as possible before putting a shovel to soil.  And, April decided not to be a part of this adventure so there won't be anymore pics with her.  It really has been a wild ride full of unexpected twists and turns.

IMG_6834.jpg

This is the most recent pic I have, multi generational housing...  Me and the kids on the left in The Puhano, The Mea Ai in the center is our living, dining, and kitchen, and The Maluhia for my parents on the right.

IMG_70041.jpg

This is the site for our ag structures...  Several small thrip houses, shade houses, dry houses, and a large barn housing a couple shipping countainers.

IMG_6925.jpg

There's a cool panorama I took standing on the roof of an excavator.  Looks like a good place for me to put down my roots and take life easy... And by that I mean work my butt off daily! :rolleyes:

image.jpeg

• 4 months later...

And there it is...  The first two palms planted.  Raphia sp.. What a journey!  Nothing has gone exactly as planned but I am right where I'm supposed to be...  Plenty of bumps in the road and I am a little battered and a little bruised but all in one piece.  Don't give up on your dreams and never let anyone tell you you can't do what you set your mind to.  Aloha from Big Island and a hui ho! B)B)

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Wow - I remember when you were sitting on my lanai and commented that you wanted to move here. I hate to think how long ago that was. I'm guessing seven maybe???

Out of ten people that say that, maybe one actually pulls it off.

Time to change your Username to PersistentPalms. :)

Edit: Well, I went back to the start of your topic - and it looks like 7 years was a pretty good guess. You won't regret your move.

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes