IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

coconuts in mississippi

scl113074

this is the first year i have gotten a reasonable size coconut to grow on my palm. has anyone else been able to get coconuts to grow and produce this far north? i only have one because the squirrels keep getting the others.

post-1361-1250466400_thumb.jpg

Edited by scl113074
  • Upvote 2

stephen lee

this is the first year i have gotten a reasonable size coconut to grow on my palm. has anyone else been able to get coconuts to grow and produce this far north?

Uhhh... which type of greenhouse are you growing these in, and how big is the pot? Can we see some pictures of the whole palm?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

this is the first year i have gotten a reasonable size coconut to grow on my palm. has anyone else been able to get coconuts to grow and produce this far north? i only have one because the squirrels keep getting the others.

WHOA!

BIG HORSE!

Ahem.

You have a coconut in the ground, in Ole MIss?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

here is mommy. sorry pictures suck, but you have to make them so small to be placed on site.

post-1361-1250467026_thumb.jpg

stephen lee

no pot. In the ground. cold frame with heaters are built around palms. it is 14 foot tall cold frame attached to shed with four heaters all small of course. i put it up in november usually. ussually coconuts dont get this large before they fall off due to cold weather. palm is 12 foot tall.

stephen lee

Well, I'm gonna treat myself to a good scream, and a run around the block . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

i have them leaning so they dont require larger greenhouse, but they are starting to curve.

stephen lee

Stephen is that coconut palm in the ground there in Miss? If so, how long have you been growing it there? What is the lowest temp seen? Etc etc.

I have one here in San Antonio but it's in a pot and still rather small (5' tall). I accidentally left it out a couple of times this winter and the coldest temp it endured was 32F (no frost) and didn't burn. I was pleasantly surprised.

I know of a couple of decent size (fruiting) coconuts in Corpus Christi but yours is the furthest north I've heard of in the Gulf area... more pics if you can. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

:drool: Yousir are one lucky person. Really, how many coconut trees did you try before you got one that didn't die? How many coconut palms do you have, or it just the one? I agree about the small picture thing. I usually just upload my pics from photobucket and post from there. Let's see a pic panned out so you can see the ground and everything. It's very nice from what I see.

Keith 

It is in mississippi on the gulfcoast. It saw 24 degrees last winter, but was protected in cold frame which stayed in upper 40's. i have 3 of the large ones in the ground and five small ones in pots. i had four of the large ones a couple years back that just got to tall to cover so i had to let them go. it was a sad day to see the cold get them. i replaced them with these last year. so these have been in the ground for one winter.

stephen lee

same coconut different view. This coconut saw 28 degrees f. with a heating blanket over it. It is still recouping.

post-1361-1250554174_thumb.jpg

stephen lee

small coconuts with special guest. can you guess what it is. Ive had it for four years. hard to tell the difference but it is not a coconut but it loves mississippi weather.

post-1361-1250554343_thumb.jpg

Edited by scl113074

stephen lee

Nice pics!

With all these coconuts I suggest you buy a Beccariophoenix alfredii. I've heard of them surviving down into 23 degrees F as 1 gallon plants and coming back. They may be hardy in your area, and people won't be able to tell the difference between them and coconuts when mature.

Keith 

Nice pics!

With all these coconuts I suggest you buy a Beccariophoenix alfredii. I've heard of them surviving down into 23 degrees F as 1 gallon plants and coming back. They may be hardy in your area, and people won't be able to tell the difference between them and coconuts when mature.

I doubt any Beccariophoenix could survive an 8b climate without protection, much less a 1g. :blink:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Stephen you have us all intrigued!

I can only imagine the heat it takes to keep the coconut alive in winter.

use fellow 8b/9a palmnuts really are interested in your marginals that have a chance unheated though!

Have you experimented with Bizmarkia, Queens, Arengas. any monster chinese fans your holding back on us?

what type of caryotas are the seedligns, possible maxima 'Himilaya'?

regarding the unknown palm, some type of cocoid hybrid im guessing.....

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

frito we got plenty of chinese fan palms here,the biggest one i saw was a 15 footer (8 foot ct) they do fine here,only minimal leaf burn.

Stephen you have us all intrigued!

I can only imagine the heat it takes to keep the coconut alive in winter.

use fellow 8b/9a palmnuts really are interested in your marginals that have a chance unheated though!

Have you experimented with Bizmarkia, Queens, Arengas. any monster chinese fans your holding back on us?

what type of caryotas are the seedligns, possible maxima 'Himilaya'?

regarding the unknown palm, some type of cocoid hybrid im guessing.....

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Nice pics!

I doubt any Beccariophoenix could survive an 8b climate without protection, much less a 1g. :blink:

Well, they have coconuts there, so I was assuming they could keep a becc. alive

Edit: Also, we don't know what zone map they're using. I've had maps tell me I'm a 9a, yet coconuts grow here. Even if they are using an up to date map, if they heat it like the cocos, once it gets too big for the heater it may be big enough to survive in 8b.

Edited by Zeeth

Keith 

Nice pics!

Edit: Also, we don't know what zone map they're using. I've had maps tell me I'm a 9a, yet coconuts grow here. Even if they are using an up to date map, if they heat it like the cocos, once it gets too big for the heater it may be big enough to survive in 8b.

Keith, wishfull thinking unfortunatly!!! A full grown, very healthy Cocos Nucifera will fry and die at 24f without protection no matter where your zone is! I am in a solid 9b and provided protection and allmost lost my 3 big ones.

In zone 8b they allways see lower 20's every winter and without protection the Cocos will croak!

I provided heat to the growing point so there was'nt any heart damage, but it was still defoliated but they are now coming back strong and i hope we don't have another huge blast like Orlando did last year!

I wish the bigger the more cold-tolerant, but alas, i know better after last years 20-year freeze!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I think the ultimate factor in growing a coconut palm the fartherest north is soil freezing, where roots could/would freeze.

One can protect the fronds and trunk, growth bud, etc., but keeping the soil from freezing would be a critical task. I guess you could use heating cables in and over the soil and then put some kind of insulating cover over the cables and soils to hold in the heat.

I wouldn't think, though, that in an 8b location, soil freezing would be too common.

The above being said, I have a small coconut palm that I've been growing 5-6 years now. Some winters it only gets mild leaf burn from frost. Two winters ago it incurred no damage at all, as my lowest temperature was 32F degrees.

However, this past winter my coconut palm was exposed to 23.5 degrees or very close to it, anyway, as that's what my open yard low temperature was.

In years past I would use a 10 feet step ladder to bundle up my coconut palm's fronds, then wrap some heating cables around it, then wrap flannel sheets around it, finally wrapping a blue poly tarp around it.

The flannel sheets held in the heat produced by the heating cables and the trap kept any condensation/frost off of the flannel sheets. This cocoon method worked great, but now my palm is getting too tall.

So, this past winter I bundled the fronds, wrapped the trunk and growth bud area and up into the petioles and lower sections of the fronds, then wrapped it like described above.

The exposed fronds were fried but the heating cables kept the trunk in the low 50s, as I had a remote digital thermometer sensor stuck under the wrappings (but away from heating cables).

As you can see, my coconut palm is coming back strong now. The key is keeping the trunk and growth bud from cold damage. The trunk has enough startch to regenerate growth come spring. The basically undamaged foliage near the bottom allows for some photosynthesis also.

My coconut palm after the freeze (it looked worse than this weeks later):

2475807180042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

My coconut palm now, August 18, 2009:

2777498120042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

I have several bizzies that do well, my neighbor has a large arenga engleri doing beautiful. i have several thousand engleri's I've germinated from seeds, but none in the ground. I collect phoenix palms and have several large ones in the ground. mostly phoenix dact, roebi, canary, reclinata, and two hybrids. the small palm in the picture with the coconuts is my jubaeopsis caffra. I've had it for several years and it does great. I have several fan palms mostly 3 to 14 foot. I have some I've germinated from seeds, but they haven't done as well as the other seeds I germinate. I have lots of jubae's but they are not the best for my region. I think it is to humid, and the squirrels love them. I also have several sabals of course. they pretty much grow wild here. I also have 35 large queens which one day will also meet their demise. I am considered 8b, but we rarely see below 24F. When we do, it can be very cold. lastly I have sevaral chinese fan palms, butia's, and sago's that are never bothered by the cold. other than palms I grow lychees, logans, miracle fruit, guava's, apples, pears, persimmons, figs, loquats, papaya, bananas, satsumas, lemons, limes, and oranges. Our environment is kinda like orlando with 3 or four nights that get in the low 20's, other than that we stay pretty warm most of the year.

stephen lee

Walt your coconut looks great. my other coconuts use to look like that but they out grew my cold frames and got to hard to cover so they got fried. thats why I chose to lean these to try to get a couple of extra years out of them. It can get expensive replacing them every 3 to 5 years. my little boy calls all my cold frames castles, because they are so tall but narrow. usually 8x8x16.

stephen lee

Nice pics!

Keith, wishfull thinking unfortunatly!!! A full grown, very healthy Cocos Nucifera will fry and die at 24f without protection no matter where your zone is! I am in a solid 9b and provided protection and allmost lost my 3 big ones.

In zone 8b they allways see lower 20's every winter and without protection the Cocos will croak!

I provided heat to the growing point so there was'nt any heart damage, but it was still defoliated but they are now coming back strong and i hope we don't have another huge blast like Orlando did last year!

I wish the bigger the more cold-tolerant, but alas, i know better after last years 20-year freeze!

Should have been more precise in what I was saying. I meant that the 8b zone stated on their profile may not be fully accurate, as I've had zone maps tell me that I am a 9a, but we're actually 10a (10b on Anna maria island and within a couple hundred yards of the coast in Bradenton, they too show up as 9a on some maps). So if their actual zone is 9a (or a cold 9b) a Beccariophoenix alfredii may make it long term once it's big enough and look like a coconut. Of course, it may still be more worth it to them to grow coconuts until they reach 15 feet and get new ones when the big ones are too big to protect and they die.

Keith

Keith 

this is 8b in ms. lots of phoenix, sabals, queens, sagos, robustas and filiferas.

post-1361-1250630851_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250630866_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250630877_thumb.jpg

Edited by scl113074

stephen lee

and they say this everglades palm doesnt grow in 8b. its very happy. getting to happy.

post-1361-1250630958_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250630969_thumb.jpg

Edited by scl113074

stephen lee

phoenix dact just pruned. i got a little to crazy eith the sheers

post-1361-1250630994_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250631004_thumb.jpg

Edited by scl113074

stephen lee

spindle palm gets some protection 3 to 4 times a year

post-1361-1250631032_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250631041_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250631050_thumb.jpg

Edited by scl113074

stephen lee

triangle palm from three gallon 4 years ago. i protect three to 4 nights a year

post-1361-1250631078_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250631089_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1250631099_thumb.jpg

Edited by scl113074

stephen lee

I'm sorry for the messy yard, it is being relandscaped. it is still recovering from katrina and large adition on house. Its amazing how bad contractors can tear your yard up. this is about 1/3 of my palms. I have been collecting for 8 years and currently have about 250 full size palms and 200 to 300 3 gallon size planted with about 100 more to go. i am starting to focus on butias and phoenix species so I'll have something left after the thirty year freeze comes. record low temp is 9 degrees farenheit set in the late eighties. one day my babies will probably be gotten by mother nature.

stephen lee

You are a brave and motivated soul. I'm very impressed.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I have several bizzies that do well, my neighbor has a large arenga engleri doing beautiful. i have several thousand engleri's I've germinated from seeds, but none in the ground. I collect phoenix palms and have several large ones in the ground. mostly phoenix dact, roebi, canary, reclinata, and two hybrids. the small palm in the picture with the coconuts is my jubaeopsis caffra. I've had it for several years and it does great. I have several fan palms mostly 3 to 14 foot. I have some I've germinated from seeds, but they haven't done as well as the other seeds I germinate. I have lots of jubae's but they are not the best for my region. I think it is to humid, and the squirrels love them. I also have several sabals of course. they pretty much grow wild here. I also have 35 large queens which one day will also meet their demise. I am considered 8b, but we rarely see below 24F. When we do, it can be very cold. lastly I have sevaral chinese fan palms, butia's, and sago's that are never bothered by the cold. other than palms I grow lychees, logans, miracle fruit, guava's, apples, pears, persimmons, figs, loquats, papaya, bananas, satsumas, lemons, limes, and oranges. Our environment is kinda like orlando with 3 or four nights that get in the low 20's, other than that we stay pretty warm most of the year.

Please don't take this wrong, but where you're living is nothing like Orlando, we are not 8b!!! Orlando has not seen

low 20's in many years! We are a solid 9b! Other than 1989, i have'nt seen temps below 29f other than this past winter.

I am not trying to attack you in any way, but please don't compare us to a much more COLDER climate than we allready are! Everybody here in Orlando wishes we were zone 11!!!!!! Ole Miss is a much colder climate and allways will be!

You are doing a fantastic job w/ keeping zone 11 palms alive. Keep up the good work!

AND THRIVING

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!