IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Inner City Gardens

Walter John

Hello people

I am fortunate to work in a city (Brisbane) which has an inner city sub tropical garden, many palms and includes an all Australian palm area. It took me 10 minutes to walk to this spot today from where I work, where upon I took the following photos. I hope you enjoy.

RomaStGardens_alexandredneck.jpg

RomaStGardens_Foxtaillane.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

RomaStGardens_mainpalmarea1.jpg

RomaStGardens_mainpalmarea2.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

RomaStGardens_mainpalmarea3.jpg

RomaStGardens_mainpalmarea4.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

RomaStGardens_mainpalmarea5.jpg

RomaStGardens_mainpalmarea6.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

RomaStGardens_mainpalmarea7.jpg

RomaStGardens_Majesticpalms.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I wish I worked 10 min from such a fab place. Or even better, right at the place. Even as a part-time seed harvester.

Wal, are those last ones Ravenea rivularis?

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

looks a really nice place to have a lunch break!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Dear Wal,

I fully agree with you,that your a fortunate man.to have jungle out there,surrounded by concrete buildings around.

that palm jungle is where i love to have my morning jogging/walking. :)

Lovely landscaping !

the size of your photos are perfect,hence easier on the eyes to view all the veraities out there.

No doubt brisbane is beautiful...

Love,

Kris(s.india).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hello Wal,

I reckon inner city heat is great although the guys dont always appreciate the humidity we get on the South Coast of England - palm friendly certainly but uncumfortable- humanwise.

Regards

Jon / posing as Bilbo . . .

until Bob checks this out.

"Oh no its the Spanish Inquisition!"

Yeah and I would appreciate being resucitated without my head being banged repeatedly on the counter.

Im not actually a Norwegian Bue despite rumours so apologiies  for this squark for help.

Regards

Jon

Juan

amazing pics! i'm buying a plane ticket today!

i have never seen a foxtail in fruit in so.cal!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

great pictures. Wish they would do something like that by where I work. We have the climate and there is a park near by but it does not look anything like that!

Wal, 6th pic down, the palm with the green trunk and white rings. Is that a howea? Nice looking palm

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

and are those Zamias at the front of the last pic?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Hello Wal

Nice Palms, Nice Place & Nice Pics.

Wal, what are those palm on 'Post No#3'? Very beautiful.

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Magnificent place, I wish each city in Madagascar had such ideas to show local people and tourists who are starting to come in numbers here.

Thanks wal.

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

"Fortunate" is not a strong enough word, Wal.

That 1st photo shows one of the best landscape uses I know of for Rhapis excelsa.  They are seldom treated that well in THIS place.

• Upvote 1

Wal,

Great photos, and Brisbane is obviously a city that appreciates palms!! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(jam99 @ Jul. 27 2006,10:06)

I wish I worked 10 min from such a fab place. Or even better, right at the place. Even as a part-time seed harvester.

Wal, are those last ones Ravenea rivularis?

Yep, they certainly are. Just the right age/size that appeals to me really. Not too many non oz palms at these gardens either.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(redant @ Jul. 27 2006,12:11)

great pictures. Wish they would do something like that by where I work. We have the climate and there is a park near by but it does not look anything like that!

Wal, 6th pic down, the palm with the green trunk and white rings. Is that a howea? Nice looking palm

Yep, many Howeas at this higher section of the gardens. Lord Howe Island is part of Australia so that's why they are there. There's plenty of Howeas at the gardens actually.

Here's a photo of the lagoon area showing more Howeas on the right.

Overviewromast.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Howeadypsis @ Jul. 27 2006,12:15)

and are those Zamias at the front of the last pic?

Yep, that's for sure, plenty Zamias around the place, make great filler plants.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(redvdox @ Jul. 27 2006,13:12)

Hello Wal

Nice Palms, Nice Place & Nice Pics.

Wal, what are those palm on 'Post No#3'? Very beautiful.

There's a few different species in that pic, I think you may be referring to the younger Archontophoenix which I think are A.alexandrae.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's a couple more palm pics I left out.

Some Chamaedorea near a pond

Chams.jpg

Here the workers are clearing out the old dead stems from the extremely long Rhapis hedge, nice work ladies.

clearingoldrhapis.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Very fine landscape Wal.

Happy palms these...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

A couple more from the same day, same place featuring cycads.

anothery2.jpg

anothery1.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dear Wal,

those pictures on cycas were terrefic,in my entire life i have never seen so many well grown cycas in one given area/Spot.

it was like cycas paradise_Lovely photos.

And i see that how palm doctors are at their maintanence work,no doubt the garden looks so good...

Thanks for your pictures_Wal.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wal!

What kind of Licualas are those?

My poor Swooning sofa's destroyed . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I so need to move, that is fab.  I suppose they could do something like that here, but they would have to replant it with mature plants each year and it may get a tad expensive.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Wal,

Those Majesties are beautiful... If most people who buy them knew that they could look like that I think they would be much more appreciated....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Great pictures Wal!  This was the first time I was even aware such a nice 'palm' park exsisted in Brisbane.  About what size is the park - acres or hectares?  Do you know who's idea it was to establish it and fill it with so many palms rather than other plants.  Wondering if it was a community effort or perhaps donated land or a generous contributor?  

Anyway, thanks for making us aware of it and posting the pics.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

(Al in Kona @ Aug. 01 2006,14:36)

Great pictures Wal!  This was the first time I was even aware such a nice 'palm' park exsisted in Brisbane.  About what size is the park - acres or hectares?  Do you know who's idea it was to establish it and fill it with so many palms rather than other plants.  Wondering if it was a community effort or perhaps donated land or a generous contributor?  

Anyway, thanks for making us aware of it and posting the pics.

The roma street parkland is the world's largest sub-tropical garden located in a city centre.  the parkland is divided into five precincts - lake - spectacle garden - forest - celebration lawn - and upper parkland, each with its own character and purpose.

The parkland's 16-hectare site is connected by a series of bridges, boardwalks, and paved walkways.  the site's three main bridges - fern gully bridge - allee bridge - and albert street bridge - are architectural features in their own right.  

A wealth of information regarding the parkland, its history, events, tours, and more can be found at the parkland's website.  

Look up "Roma street parklands Brisbane" on the net.

Cheers

wal

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Regarding the title of your thread:

"...makes me wanna holler sometimes & throw up both my hands..."

(Marvin Gaye, Inner City Blues)

I get by with a little help from my fronds