IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So Cal palm tour last Sat.

BS Man about Palms

Here are just a few pics of Drews place from last Sat. 8 or 9 doors from the Playboy mansion, I've looked over these pics several times and I can't spot any coconuts!

post-27-1153281925_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry for the so-so pics, I went back to grab some shots. The house is just screaming for a tropical setting and Drew is getting it there. I didn't get many detail shots, just overall stuff.  Very much a clean slate with "room" right now. (over an acre)

post-27-1153282119_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The previous was the pool/guest house, this is the back of the main house.

post-27-1153282262_thumb.jpg

Drews place is great now, but will be awesome in 5 years!

post-27-1153283379_thumb.jpg

Our hard working Shirley Chang..now "Lai" late for an appointment with Hef down the street...don't tell Leland.

Drews hard working cheif landscaper in the background and a happy auction consumer on the right!

post-27-1153283671_thumb.jpg

>>> I've looked over these pics several times and I can't spot any coconuts! <<<

Hmmmm,  I've looked over my coconuts several times and can't see a house that nice--or expensive!

• Upvote 1

Bill,

Out of all those palms I got at the auction, not a single coconut. But you are right. I was very pleased with all my auction purchases.

It was great to meet you on Saturday and the rest of the gang from the Palm Society of SoCal. Drew and his crew have obviously put in a ton of hard work and his home and garden reflect it.

Hopefully in 5 to 10 years, I'll host a meeting at my home, if it's ready (I dropped in four 10' bth royals in my front yard this morning).

See you in September.

Ashton

(Robert Lee Riffle @ Jul. 19 2006,01:02)

>>> I've looked over these pics several times and I can't spot any coconuts! <<<

Hmmmm,  I've looked over my coconuts several times and can't see a house that nice--or expensive!

I just got it on good authority that all the "coconuts" are at Hef's place!

(Ashton @ Jul. 19 2006,00:06)

I dropped in four 10' bth royals in my front yard this morning

does 'bth' signify 'behemoth' or 'brown trunk height'?

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Brown trunk height

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

sorry, I couldn't help myself. : -  )

post-145-1153324308_thumb.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

(palmazon @ Jul. 19 2006,11:40)

(Ashton @ Jul. 19 2006,00:06)

I dropped in four 10' bth royals in my front yard this morning

does 'bth' signify 'behemoth' or 'brown trunk height'?

Around FL, it seems the trade uses the term "GW" to signify "gray wood".

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(deezpalms @ Jul. 19 2006,11:51)

From that image, "GW" and "BTH" are not the same.

GW would be only the portion of the trunk which has clearly defined and woody trunk.  The crownshaft does not count.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jul. 19 2006,09:07)

(deezpalms @ Jul. 19 2006,11:51)

From that image, "GW" and "BTH" are not the same.

GW would be only the portion of the trunk which has clearly defined and woody trunk.  The crownshaft does not count.

You're absolutly right Larry! I work for a palm nursery here in California and alot of people don't know the difference. That's why I posted the image. Not that you folks here don't know but as I said, I couldn't help myself. I fax out a similar image every day to different landscapers and mostly architects that don't know how to properly measure bth. Here gray wood or clear trunk is differnet then brown trunk height which goes from the soil level to where the emerging spear is pushing out of the crown.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

(deezpalms @ Jul. 19 2006,12:18)

Here gray wood or clear trunk is differnet then brown trunk height which goes from the soil level to where the emerging spear is pushing out of the crown.

Gray wood is what counts IMO!  

Otherwise.......shade grown (a.k.a. streeeeetcccchhheeed out) specimens get "counted" as bigger than they really are.

Larry 

All to true my friend. Fortunate for me, all our palms are grown in full sun!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

(deezpalms @ Jul. 19 2006,12:56)

All to true my friend. Fortunate for me, all our palms are grown in full sun!

As is 90% of whats in my yard!

I live in a new development (built in 2000-2002) so suffice it to say that the builder left no tree standing before coming in!

Larry 

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jul. 19 2006,00:11)

The previous was the pool/guest house, this is the back of the main house.

I think I would find that pool house quite amenable as a main house :D

Larry 

Now THAT is what I call a posh dive.  

If the money muscle gets flexed here, it'll be awesome fast . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Drew is working hard on getting it tropical, sorry I didn't get any detailed palm pics, probably 50% have been planted in the last few months. Most in the 15gal on up sizes.  A lot of Caryotas and Howea Forestianas..  Some Latanias...

I think the pool house is probably about 1200 sq. ft

Beautiful location.  In a few years I hope we return for another meeting.  Here's the driveway circle front of the house.

post-16-1153374541_thumb.jpg

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

• 5 months later...

Bill,

Did Mr. Heffner stop by?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, you have been gone a while!!!    No on Hef, But I did go by HIS place...