IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rockhampton Botanic Gardens

Kris

After leaving Brisbane on our adventure up the east coast of Oz, we stopped in at the Rockhampton Botanic Gardens which is right smack bang on the tropic of capricorn and inland some way. Rockhampton is quite a green city with palms planted in a lot of places. Pity the Palm society there has closed down. The climate seems very good for palms.

Here are some bottles that just make you go oooh when you first catch sight of them.

P4080297.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

P4080298.jpg

A nice specimen of a spindle.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

P4080308.jpg

Some towering Veitchia joannis's

P4080334.jpg

A large and healthy Cuban royal

Great pictures, Tyrone.

You don't look as Italian as I expected.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Dear Tyrone,

The pictures are very nice. and i would like to know the name

of the palm that is seen in between the cuban royal palms.

Iam a fan of that species of palm. And i have seen one such

variety here in Madras (South India).but only one difference

is that palm here is highly clumping.Like a bamboo tree would.

but each trunk is as massive as the one in your photo.

If any member has either seen or knows what iam talking,Kindly guide me to its generic name and avaliable

web sites.

the palm that i have seen in madras,is at taj connemera hotel_Egmore. this tree has not given out seeds yet. and i have asked even the 5 star hotel G.M to give me seeds if

avaliable. the tree is massive and appears heavenly !

Thanks Tyrone,without your picture i would not have explained other members the mystery palm of madras.

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (From Chennai_S.India)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Jul. 14 2006,11:09)

Dear Tyrone,

The pictures are very nice. and i would like to know the name

of the palm that is seen in between the cuban royal palms.

Iam a fan of that species of palm. And i have seen one such

variety here in Madras (South India).but only one difference

is that palm here is highly clumping.Like a bamboo tree would.

but each trunk is as massive as the one in your photo.

If any member has either seen or knows what iam talking,Kindly guide me to its generic name and avaliable

web sites.

the palm that i have seen in madras,is at taj connemera hotel_Egmore. this tree has not given out seeds yet. and i have asked even the 5 star hotel G.M to give me seeds if

avaliable. the tree is massive and appears heavenly !

Thanks Tyrone,without your picture i would not have explained other members the mystery palm of madras.

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (From Chennai_S.India)

I believe it's a Raphia, probably australis. These grow this big in Brisbane too. If you want to get seeds, rarepalmseeds.com generally has different Raphia for sale, even a new variety found in the mountains. Have a look at the website, they've got heaps of pictures to browse through.

regards

Tyrone

great pics!that raphia australis is sweet!bigger than the one in fosters botanical garden in honolulu!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

P4080335.jpg

Some beautiful redneck palms and my beautiful wife at the base of them.

P4080336.jpg

Closeup of the D leptocheilos's.

P4080303.jpg

Some Raphis under a protected pergola area.

P4080310.jpg

These were labeled as Pinanga's but I can't remember which one. Anyone have an idea out there.

(wrigphi @ Jul. 14 2006,06:43)

Great pictures, Tyrone.

You don't look as Italian as I expected.

I'm intrigued. What made you think I was Italian. :)

best regards

Tyrone

I've always assumed that Tyrone was an Italian name. Perhaps that's because I know an Italian named Tyrone Fortunato.

That comment could have been one of those ones that gives away one's ignorance.

By the way, did you see any C. rendas in Rocky? Wal commented that there may be outdoor ones there.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Notice the quick and seamless change of subject? Thank heavens for C. renda!

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Wal commented that there may be outdoor ones there.

????  Did I ????

There was the actor Tyrone Power, he was born in USA and he played ZORRO who always looked kinda Italian.

Apart from all that, there is a mob of Brisbane Palm society people aiming to get to Rocky gardens in August. I'm a doubtful starter but I'd love to go and check out what I've been told is one of the best palm gardens in the world.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(wrigphi @ Jul. 15 2006,06:09)

I've always assumed that Tyrone was an Italian name. Perhaps that's because I know an Italian named Tyrone Fortunato.

That comment could have been one of those ones that gives away one's ignorance.

By the way, did you see any C. rendas in Rocky? Wal commented that there may be outdoor ones there.

No I'm just an Ozzie born in Melbourne. But if I was Italian it would sort of make me sound a bit more interesting I spose.

C renda in Rocky. There were none in Rockhampton BG. Too cold I think. The J altrifons they had there was well protected in a pergola shaded area. I think Cyrtostachys is too tropical for Rockhampton which can still get cold from an equatorial tropical point of view. It is a fair way inland too. Maybe well protected right on the coast at that latitude C renda would survive. We didn't even see C renda in Mackay. The first C renda's we saw were in Townsville, and the climate definitely gets more tropical just before Townsville on the way up.

That all being said, I don't doubt that a dedicated palm person in Rocky with all the right knowledge and protective gear would get a C renda to thrive there. After all, Mike Jameison in Port Macquarie has a well protected and cosy little C renda in the ground growing all year round. Ahhh for electricity. Thankyou Thomas Edison for your light bulb invention thingy.   :)

regards

Tyrone (Italiano)  :)

Tyrone and Wal, C.renda are growing outside unprotected in private collections in Rocky. Hopefully when BPACs visits later his year we will get to see them.

Tyrone, those Leptos have grown a lot since I last saw them.

Good to see  a photo of your other half...at least she's still interested in palms..LOL!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

(Daryl @ Jul. 15 2006,08:49)

Tyrone and Wal, C.renda are growing outside unprotected in private collections in Rocky. Hopefully when BPACs visits later his year we will get to see them.

Tyrone, those Leptos have grown a lot since I last saw them.

Good to see  a photo of your other half...at least she's still interested in palms..LOL!

Daryl.

Daryl, That is interesting about the C renda's in private collections.

Botanic Gardens give you a feel for plants that are sort of easy growers for a given climate as they won't fuss over there plants anywhere near the way a passionate collector will. So as I didn't see any there, I presumed they were a bit marginal. The right microclimate would be critical I would have thought with this species in Rockhampton then, don't you think.

Yes, I've driven my wife crazy with palms this and palms that, but she knows a lot of the latin names, can identify lots of them, and when we go to palm nurseries, she often goes, "I love that, let's get that one", so I just have to get it.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Kris--

I MUST get some new reading glasses: I kept reading "climbing" rather than "clumping" in your post.

As a result I had to think, "Climbing WHAT?  K2?!?

In any case, the palm to which you refer is most likely R. farinifera (which may also be the real identity of the one in Tyrone's photo) or R. vinifera.

• Upvote 1

I first of all thank Tyrone for posting the picuture that i was

searching for about 4 to 5 years now.that palm veriety generic

name was not known till i visited this forum.

I also thank Robert Lee for explaining the veriety that had spoiled

my good sleep for few years now.I have never been bowled even by beautiful babes,but their are 2 palms that could make up my day.

One is that resembles the palm that is between cuban palms,thanks for identifying it to me.

and the other palm is seen in Sea Shells & Mauritious Island

this palm is a fan palm which resembles a giant size Sabal_

Riverside Sp. the fan leaf is so huge as 6 foot man can sleep in it. i had seen many pictures of this but its generic name is not

known to me & my friend.

I want to grow these palms at my residence as soon as possible.so as i could see a fully grown palm before i Die.

Now iam 32 years old. and these heavy palms appear as slow

growers.and also wish to distribute these species to our Govt Nursery's and botanical gardens in banglore,ooty & Pune(India).

Iam so crazy about the above species...

And Robert about that clumping i.e Clustering doubt,no problem this happens all the time even to me.

Thanks_Pal !

One man one tree..

Love,

Kris (to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

The other palm name you are seeking is probably Lodoicea maldivica.

Search the web for information and pics. Searching for seed will be more difficult.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hi Dypsi Dean,

Hey what are you ? are you an encyclopidia on all palms on earth.. hey iam not complaining here, you are terrefic. :)

and i appreciate the pains you take to promptly identifying our

palms and at times even correcting our wrongly stated palms by

the forum members.

way to go JACK,way to go(From the movie_Speed).

Keep up the good work !

Love,

Kris(to all my friends out there).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Was Lodoicea maldivica the palm you were trying to find the name of?

And I noticed you didn't end your last post with "one man, one tree."

I hope you just forgot.

For those who may have missed his post, Kris believes everyone on earth should plant one tree. I thought this a nice thought. It would certainly mean a lot of trees. At least I have done my share.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dear Dypsis Dean,

As for the palm identification i think iam almost there,but now the thoughts are from which site to buy these exocitc palm seeds.

And as for my slogan 'One Man One Tree' Yes i have will fully

by-passed it only to praise your effort.Stating keep up the good work. i felt you deserved it !

And slogans do change but hope humans don't change their colors like chemilieans do.I have seen many of my Ex pals do so...

And iam sorry Tyrone to have used your post to discuss my palm interests..

Love you buddies,

Kris (to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif