IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show me your Satakentia Liukiuensis

bubba

This is a magnificient Palm indigenous to the Japanese islands of Ryukyu near Okinawa. It supposedly is somewhat similar to Coconuts in it's climatic requirements. This specimen is an old and big one that I suspect was planted around 1947 at Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens in West Palm:

PictureNumerousPalmsandFoot280.jpg

I think they keep the lighting on this Palm year round:

PictureNumerousPalmsandFoot281.jpg

Who is growing this Tropical Palm and can they be grown in California, Brisbane, Perth, Andalucia, Greece and all the other usual suspects.

What you look for is what is looking

A lot of growers in Europe have had little success with raising seedlings. I have only one remaining, having lost quite a few even before they produced a leaf spike. They have rigid, wiry little roots that seem to rot easily. This one is going strong, so I'll hang on to it.

post-1155-1250180586_thumb.jpg

The Ryukyu islands is Okinawa.

They are the same.

I was born there. But my parents left for FL when I was two...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Slow grower for me, could be in a bad soil spot though, no pictures, maybe later.

You'll find some nice Satake palms in this thread though

Plantation 2000

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Four pictures of my Satakentia tell the story

Growing well after planting in 20002, it suffered when we had the coldest winter in 40 years, I do not record temps but I guess it was 2ºC in my garden and I lost all the spears on the Satakentia(I have two)

One came back and on the other I had to perform surgery last month and this one is coming back as well

First picture :2009 second one: 2008

post-37-1250181247_thumb.jpg

post-37-1250181271_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Forget the Sakententia. Take Wal's wild ride on that prior Link/Post. Can they grow Sakentias in Brisbane rephrased to just what cannot be grown in Brisbane.

Charles,I am constantly amazed by Portugal. That is a rather sturdy Sakententia. Some how I got the feeling you are holding back on a grove of 40 foot Coconuts.

John, See Charles!

Ray, You have been around,dude!

What you look for is what is looking

Slow grower for me, could be in a bad soil spot though, no pictures, maybe later.

You'll find some nice Satake palms in this thread though

Plantation 2000

Wal,

Stan produced seed off his last year and has a few seedlings I think.

I have 8 I got from Rosebud which I'm putting in the ground at Childers in November whan I'm over next.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

The first one is mine. A little over 2 years from a 7 gallon.

The others are at the American Orchid Society in Delray Beach, Fl. That black/purple crownshaft is :mrlooney:

post-1035-1250184819_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1250185252_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I might try another in a different spot me thinks.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Are these known for being slow? Mine is real slow.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Four pictures of my Satakentia tell the story

Growing well after planting in 20002, it suffered when we had the coldest winter in 40 years, I do not record temps but I guess it was 2ºC in my garden and I lost all the spears on the Satakentia(I have two)

One came back and on the other I had to perform surgery last month and this one is coming back as well

First picture :2009 second one: 2008

Charles,

Your second pic looks more like a Gaussia maya than a Satakentia. :hmm:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I have a few about the size of the one in post #2. I had more, but it seems once they reach that size they start brown-tipping, then collapse and die. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Charles,

Matty I remember you told me that some time ago but it is definitely not a Gaussia maya, my Gaussia were untouched by this cold we had, they are much hardier than Satakentia

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

These are slow even in the tropics. I have one growing fine in the ground. It's still small about 60cm tall but I put it in a position which gets a bit of winter sun but was in a marginal summer "burn" area, so it suffered at first but has since sun hardened to our sun. I know of others growing it in Perth. I have some more in pots that are about 1m tall that I grew from 15cm tall seedlings. These don't mind water in winter provided it doesn't get to freezing I would think. My garden even on the coldest night wouldn't drop below 4C so they just chug away opening new spears every few months. The one in the ground is opening a new spear at the moment.

I would never expect mine to get big or drastically speed up. Also they're much easier than a coconut to grow. Coconuts don't mind getting down to 2C provided the days get to 20C or above. Satakentia's don't mind days around 16C provided the nights don't drop much below 5C for extended periods. Also they hate drought. In the Ryukyu islands it just constantly rains, even in winter. Summer weather is around 26C min to 32C max and plenty of rain and in winter the area sees 16Cmin to 19C max and more rain. With so much rain around they'd never see anything close to frost in habitat. They do tend to speed up a bit in hot humid weather.

That's my experiences with this stunning species.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here's a couple of mine. Still small compared to other peoples pictured.

Not the best pics. I had to take the first one from above as it was surrounded by a creeper.

The second one is still waiting for a position to open up to be planted.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-1250225805_thumb.jpg

post-63-1250225897_thumb.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Mine speeds up a little after I repot them. They still have a bit of growing to do before going in the ground....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I have one in ground for 3 winters now. Got it from Floribunda in 2005 as a 4 inch palm...

Slow... Slow ... Slow. ... but picking up speed. Its about " knee high " now.

Doesn't seem to mind our chilly winters as much as most " Tropical " Crown shaft palms.

Loves Modesto's baking summer heat.

Lowest temp the palm has taken was about 27f... with a little over head protection from my lychee tree.

My Sakententia has never suffered any damage whats so ever...

Average Dec high temp here is 52f ( 11c ) average Low temp is 38f ( 3.3c )

My Average soil temp in mid winter at 2 inches deep is 48f .

In my garden... this palm is quite a bit more cold hardy than coconut.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Charles,

Matty I remember you told me that some time ago but it is definitely not a Gaussia maya, my Gaussia were untouched by this cold we had, they are much hardier than Satakentia

Oh, sorry to repeat myself. I didn't remember.

Jeff,

That's great news that you've had success in Modesto. Amazing!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Charles,

Oh, sorry to repeat myself. I didn't remember.

Jeff,

That's great news that you've had success in Modesto. Amazing!

Its small... but here is a pic.

Jeff

post-116-1250269222_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I'd never think a monotypic genus like Satakentia would cause confusion and mixups, but...

I'm with MattyB on Charles' palm not being Satakentia. If it's not Gaussia maya, maybe it's a different Gaussia (princeps is more tender). The leaflets look like they have a little "plumosity" to them. I guess I wouldn't say 100% for sure not Satakentia, but if it is, it's growing very oddly possibly due to climate.

And Jeff in Modesto's palm is definitely not Satakentia, looks like a Dypsis decipiens or the palm that was being sold recently as Dypsis 'honkona' (which may just be a form of decipiens. Sorry Jeff.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I'd never think a monotypic genus like Satakentia would cause confusion and mixups, but...

I'm with MattyB on Charles' palm not being Satakentia. If it's not Gaussia maya, maybe it's a different Gaussia (princeps is more tender). The leaflets look like they have a little "plumosity" to them. I guess I wouldn't say 100% for sure not Satakentia, but if it is, it's growing very oddly possibly due to climate.

And Jeff in Modesto's palm is definitely not Satakentia, looks like a Dypsis decipiens or the palm that was being sold recently as Dypsis 'honkona' (which may just be a form of decipiens. Sorry Jeff.

Matt

It looks quite like an Attenuata I have - especially from the early picture.

I also have a Maya but mine seems to arch more than that one and mine is in full sun.

John

Yeah, don't mean to pile on but I agree that Jeff's palm is along the Dypsis decipiens line, not Satakentia. Maybe I should post a pic of mine to make sure I've really got a Satakentia.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I don't think Charles' palm is a Satakentia...the white colouration on it does not resemble any Satakentia I've seen...as young palms they are really green.

And Jeff's does look like D.decipiens to me too.

Here's some photos of mine...

The first is a young plant about 5ft tall...does not seem fazed by our winters, although it is not a rocket.

post-42-1250289554_thumb.jpg

The second is a young seedling...about 24" tall..the petiole and leaf colour is all green.

post-42-1250289642_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I enjoyed all these pics!

I had about 10 seedlings all die on me. I probably overpotted them. Life sucks just as much as my potting skills do!

If there is a next time I'm dropping these guys right into the soil. They used to be my favorite till my bad experiences with them! I still want some though.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

While in Loxahatchee FL, earlier this week, I saw a real nice Satakentia at Mike Harris's Caribbean Palms, in his personal collection.

Awesome looking palm w/ 3' of wood trunk and great crownshaft color.

I haven't tried one myself. Think I will now.

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I will say I was sold a "Satakentia" a long time ago when I started from a "hobby nursery" well north of here. It turned out not to be. I STILL don't know what it is, but its not that. El Hoagie has one of the same type and his may be from the same guy.

The only characteristic I can note from early is the leaves always look very shiny. Almost like someone "Armor All'ed" them.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I don't think Charles' palm is a Satakentia...the white colouration on it does not resemble any Satakentia I've seen...as young palms they are really green.

The first is a young plant about 5ft tall...does not seem fazed by our winters, although it is not a rocket.

The second is a young seedling...about 24" tall..the petiole and leaf colour is all green.

regards,

Daryl

Daryl,

The ones I have up at Childers are about the size of your second one, do you think they are big enough to plant out and will they need some sun protection as they are currently in a 50% shadehouse.

Thanks

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

I will say I was sold a "Satakentia" a long time ago when I started from a "hobby nursery" well north of here. It turned out not to be. I STILL don't know what it is, but its not that. El Hoagie has one of the same type and his may be from the same guy.

The only characteristic I can note from early is the leaves always look very shiny. Almost like someone "Armor All'ed" them.

Bill - Thats what happens when you're ranch hands decide to do a car wash next to the palm nursery!

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Bill - Thats what happens when you're ranch hands decide to do a car wash next to the palm nursery!

:D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

regards,

Daryl

Daryl,

The ones I have up at Childers are about the size of your second one, do you think they are big enough to plant out and will they need some sun protection as they are currently in a 50% shadehouse.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce,

I wouldn't put one that size out in full sun. They don't seem to burn as much as Archontophoenix, but they yellow off and go backwards if planted too early here.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

OMG... GOONG! :mellow::mellow::mellow:

The ONLY palm I do know about for sure...is Dypsis Decipens...This is not d. Decipiens..

I have lots of experience with is Dypsis Decipens. I have a large Dypsis Decipiens in my front yard....( latest spear is about 8 ft tall)

The palm in the photo...Jeff at Foribunda sold to me as Satakentia Liukiuensis ( label is still there )

its definately NOT dypsis decipiens.

Now... I am very aware ... things get mismarked...It may not be Satakentia Liukiuensis... I have no other Satakentia Liukiuensis palm to compare with, ,,,,but d. decipens??... nope...I have had several.... At this age... The leaves of d. decipiens are very leathery... almost brittle.

This one is feathery....

So if someone thinks it is not Satakentia Liukiuensis... What else can it be???

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

OMG... GOONG! :mellow::mellow::mellow:

The ONLY palm I do know about for sure...is Dypsis Decipens...This is not d. Decipiens..

I have lots of experience with is Dypsis Decipens. I have a large Dypsis Decipiens in my front yard....( latest spear is about 8 ft tall)

The palm in the photo...Jeff at Foribunda sold to me as Satakentia Liukiuensis ( label is still there )

its definately NOT dypsis decipiens.

Now... I am very aware ... things get mismarked...It may not be Satakentia Liukiuensis... I have no other Satakentia Liukiuensis palm to compare with, ,,,,but d. decipens??... nope...I have had several.... At this age... The leaves of d. decipiens are very leathery... almost brittle.

This one is feathery....

Jeff

Jeff,

Be careful when disagreeing with Matt in SD. :) He may be number one here on palm IDs - certainly in the top three.

Which reminds me. I owe him a call. He was the latest winner of the $50 in the Palmpedia Palm Puzzle ID Contest. I don't know how he does it.

COULD YOU HAVE IDed THIS?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I bought mine from a nursery "up north" as well almost ten years ago, mind this is not a "hobby" nursery

I know that a lot of seedlings look very much alike so the mistake could have been made earlier on

Matty is right the trunk looks like a Gaussia, the leaves do not look like Gaussia to me however.

Trouble is here in Europe Satakentia are rare and hard to find so I have no plants to compare with

So if someone thinks it is not Satakentia or Gaussia....what else can it be???

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Dean...enough fanfare. I'm sure there are plenty of others on here that can ID most everything but just don't get all excited about trying like I usually do if there is a challenge. My vote is on Christian (cfkingfish) as the #1 palm ID'er, no doubt.

Jeff, I agree that your palm is not the standard D decipiens that you usually get. But there are a bunch of palms going around, 'hovitra', 'honkona', 'hankona', 'betafaka', that are very close to what you have and several people that grow a lot of palms say that these seem like a form of D decipiens to them (I've been more skeptical). I'm with you that the leaflets are pretty different from what I've grown as D decipiens, but until these things get bigger, it's just not clear what they are.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Maybe it's plastic. :lol:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

This is a magnificient Palm indigenous to the Japanese islands of Ryukyu near Okinawa. It supposedly is somewhat similar to Coconuts in it's climatic requirements.

Yes and no. I have heard the same thing but my guess is that you can grow this palm in a good micro climate here in SoCal as MattyB has. I just don't think a ton of people have tried. In addition, it is very slow so why not plant something else.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Dean...enough fanfare. I'm sure there are plenty of others on here that can ID most everything but just don't get all excited about trying like I usually do if there is a challenge. My vote is on Christian (cfkingfish) as the #1 palm ID'er, no doubt.

Jeff, I agree that your palm is not the standard D decipiens that you usually get. But there are a bunch of palms going around, 'hovitra', 'honkona', 'hankona', 'betafaka', that are very close to what you have and several people that grow a lot of palms say that these seem like a form of D decipiens to them (I've been more skeptical). I'm with you that the leaflets are pretty different from what I've grown as D decipiens, but until these things get bigger, it's just not clear what they are.

Matt

Hmmm? To be honest... at this age it looks excactly like the same sized Beccariophoenix alfredii I have close by.

Besides the leaves being more feathery than what I have experienced in d . decipiens... it doesn't have the familiar red tinge found my d. decipens at this age.... oh well time will tell. Never did buy any decipiens from Floribunda... donno how tags would get mixed.

Anyway....

If it is a d. decipiens.. I'll have to move it before it gets too much bigger... its planted very close to a wall.

Here is a photo of one of my oldest D. Decipiens.... may trunk this summer as its growing relatively fast this year.

Jeff

post-116-1250355365_thumb.jpg

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f