IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brisbane

bubba

P4060002.jpg

Here's a few pics from a trip we made to QLD last year around late Oct to Nov starting at Brisbane and ending in Cooktown. These pics are from Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens, probably one of the best palmy places on Earth IMO. A must see if ever you can get there. This is the entrance and a great stand of D lutescens.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

P4060045.jpg

Some Ravenea rivularis which were actually in fruit.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

P4060010.jpg

Calamus caryotoides, the sign says it anyway.

P4060072.jpg

A truly impressive Beccariophoenix madagascariensis. The picture doesn't do it justice at all.

P4060166.jpg

Howea belmoreana

P4060170.jpg

Trachycarpus wagneriensus

P4060160.jpg

I saw this one but have no idea what it is. What do you guys think? A Geonoma?? I have no idea.

best regards

Tyrone

I couldnt agree more Tyrone, Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens has got to be the best in Australia particularly if you consider the climate they deal with. Certainly much colder than most areas of Brisbane, atleast in winter.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

(The Palm Nut @ Jul. 01 2006,03:17)

I couldnt agree more Tyrone, Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens has got to be the best in Australia particularly if you consider the climate they deal with. Certainly much colder than most areas of Brisbane, atleast in winter.

Mike

Hey, hows it going Mike?

It is amazing how good Mt Cootha is, as you say with the higher elevations etc it probably gets a bit cooler than Brissie. But that's good for us who come from areas with "warmth challenged winters". The amount of different species etc is astounding, lots of Pinangas, Heterospathe, Arenga's. If I lived up there I'd find any flimsy reason to justify wandering thru. It's a credit to QLD.

regards

Tyrone

Actually Mt Coot-tha's altitude helps it... No cold Air drainage. The gardens aren't at the top, but are high enough to be above the temp inversion, yet not really affected by altitude cooling. It is certainly not the warmest climate in SE Queensland, but better than a lot of areas of Brisbane. Microclimates in this part of the world vary a great deal, and can be the difference between life and death of a lot of more tropical species.

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

(Daryl @ Jul. 01 2006,05:57)

Actually Mt Coot-tha's altitude helps it... No cold Air drainage. The gardens aren't at the top, but are high enough to be above the temp inversion, yet not really affected by altitude cooling. It is certainly not the warmest climate in SE Queensland, but better than a lot of areas of Brisbane. Microclimates in this part of the world vary a great deal, and can be the difference between life and death of a lot of more tropical species.

Daryl.

Daryl, that's quite interesting. Any idea what the coldest temp it may get too in the BG area?

Also, do you know what the last palm picture may be, your ID skills would be much better than mine?

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Check out one of the Geonoma sp. pics on this website. It looks similar to the palm you are asking about. If not the same, IMO it may confirm that at least your guess of Geonoma is right. There are a lot of nice pics here.

http://www.stevepiercy.com/gallery....i200308

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 2 weeks later...

P4060196.jpg

Some more piccies.

Here's a Satakentia

P4060233.jpg

An Attalea

P4060234.jpg

The city of Brisbane from the lookout at Mt Cootha near the restaurant and cafe's.

I love Brisbane.

regards

Tyrone

Very nice Tyrone!  I wish Brisbane was on my itinerary for November.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Brisbane appears to be one of the most attractive quasi-tropical areas in the world.Your climate allows you to grow Jubaea chilensis and Cocos nucifera simultaneously.Is Brisbane a humid climate? In your coldest months how many times do your low temptures drop below 50 degrees fahrenheit? Have you ever recorded a frost?

What you look for is what is looking

(bubba @ Jul. 12 2006,17:54)

Brisbane appears to be one of the most attractive quasi-tropical areas in the world.Your climate allows you to grow Jubaea chilensis and Cocos nucifera simultaneously.Is Brisbane a humid climate? In your coldest months how many times do your low temptures drop below 50 degrees fahrenheit? Have you ever recorded a frost?

Hey Bubba,

Brisbane is really nice, but I don't live there. I'm from Perth on the other side. Brisbane has humid warm weather. I know Cocos nucifera grow well there, but I've never seen a Jubaea. That's not to say noone is growing them there. Maybe Wal or Daryl would know and could answer your climate questions, as they're closer to the action.

Here in Perth we can definitely grow Jubaea, but they aren't really grown at all here. The only two seeding trees are in Perth zoo and were planted back in the 1920's by some farsighted people. They are awesome to see up close. Definitely a species to plant every time a new child is born into your family if you have the room.

As for Cocos here, there are a couple, but lets say although they survive for years, they don't look happy.

Latitude matters.

best regards

Tyrone

I have never seen a mature Jubaea near Brisbane, but in my garden I have a Jubaea and a malay dwarf coconut growing about 6ft apart. Both are doing really well too, so I guess it can be done. The largest true Jubaea I've seen here was not yet at trunking size, but was about 3ft across the butt.

The weather here is pretty good for most of the year, except the 8-10 weeks we are enduring now! Waiting for spring...

But seriously, it stays quite mild here all year, and even though summer is humid, it is not stifling like the tropical areas further north of here...just a comfortable living climate, which probably accounts for all of the hordes of southern Ozzies moving here every year!

Also, the climate varies substantially in this area, all within a short distance. For example some parts of the Gold Coast haven't gone below 10C (50F), yet 1 hour's drive away Amberley has already hit -5C this winter. Even more strange is that in Ipswich, 10 minutes drive from Amberley, and about 40Km inland, you can find mature coconuts growing.

Then there's rain...Brisbane is in severe drought, yet on the Gold Coast, we have had more than enough rain. Ipswich has hardly had a drop in years. All of this within one hour's drive..unbelievable!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!