IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

On the road

It would be nice if we all could post some pictures of the Palms we see when we drive around our places.

Here are a few pictures taken on my way to the beach...

Solitary Acrocomia in the ocean of sugar cane:

post--1151957198_thumb.jpg

Gileno!

Great picture!

Give us more.  

We're palm-starved here in the Untied States of 'Murka.

So, when are you coming to visit again?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jul. 03 2006,16:10)

So, when are you coming to visit again?

dave

It's your turn now, Amigo...

Nobody ever visits me here?  :(

post--1151958572_thumb.jpg

Gileno, what are those palms in the last picture?

Thanks- Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I've posted my neighbourhood palms before, you wanna repeat, with a few newies ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jul. 04 2006,00:31)

Gileno, what are those palms in the last picture?

Thanks- Bill

Bill:

These are also Acrocomias, from the local native variety known as Acrocomia intumescens (Macaíba).

The mature trunks for this subspecies are always enlarged and not so spiny as the other Acrocomias. The fruit is big and has a thin edible mesocarp. They were introduced in landscape here in the 50's by Roberto Burle Marx, and are often found along the avenues of Recife today. Very fast growing and appreciated palms here.

post--1152050466_thumb.jpg

Gileno,

The very small relative diameter lower trunk of the Acrocomia intumescens looks stucturally precarious. Do these palms ever snap off at ground level during high winds?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks for the great photos.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Love the Acrocomias' John

• Upvote 1

Old Miakka, Florida

23 miles inland from Sarasota Bay

Zone 9b

middle of a swamp in SW Central FL

Gileno,

I have to visit Brazil..... That has got to be  my next country to visit.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE