IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Panama tall coconuts

Zeeth

I'm not sure if this is supposed to go here, so feel free to move it if needed. There is an online auction going on (I won't name the website because of IPS rules) for a lot of 12 panama tall coconuts. As I wanted 1 or 2 of these because of the LY resistance and the growth rate, I was interested, but I don't think my mom would let me buy 12, I thought it might be a good idea if we could pitch in with some people and buy them together. They are $9 for the lot so far, but it has 1 day and 9 hours to go up. If you would be interested in pitching in PM me and I'll send you the link and we can figure details on who can buy them (I don't have a credit card, so I can't do it and I don't know what my mom would say if I asked her to buy 12 coconuts). Again, I'm not sure if this is the place for this, so feel free to move it if I have messed up,

Keith

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I have been out of town due to work and just noticed this thread. How did it go down Keith??

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I have been out of town due to work and just noticed this thread. How did it go down Keith??

Christian was planning on getting it, but he was out of town that day. He said he'd look for some Panama tall coconuts for me though. Also Palm Guy in Bermuda said that he'd send me a pure Atlantic tall in Bermuda if it gets through the mail, but since there's no LY in Bermuda it shouldn't be a problem.

Keith 

Christian was planning on getting it, but he was out of town that day. He said he'd look for some Panama tall coconuts for me though. Also Palm Guy in Bermuda said that he'd send me a pure Atlantic tall in Bermuda if it gets through the mail, but since there's no LY in Bermuda it shouldn't be a problem.

I believe the US post office allows for a coconut to be sent "as is" no rapping required. Just right on the husk and place the proper postage.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I believe the US post office allows for a coconut to be sent "as is" no rapping required. Just right on the husk and place the proper postage.

Yup! I told him he could do that. I think it'd be a little cheaper, as there'd be no need for packaging too.

Keith 

I'ma start calling you Keith, the coconut fiend!

:)

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Haha, well they ARE my favorite palm!

Keith 

DITTO!!!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Me too. We should start our own version of the coco rat pack. We just need a name.

DITTO!!!!!

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

How about the... coco-nuts!

Me too. We should start our own version of the coco rat pack. We just need a name.

DITTO!!!!!

Keith 

DITTO!!!!!

Same here! I got attracted to this thread purely by the word 'coconuts' :lol:

DITTO!!!!!

How about,, Cookoo for Coconuts PS (palm society) I like the idea!! We need a name and prez!! Who will be the prez????? Come on guys, the motion is on the table!! Who do we elect?

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

How about,, Cookoo for Coconuts PS (palm society) I like the idea!! We need a name and prez!! Who will be the prez????? Come on guys, the motion is on the table!! Who do we elect?

Well, you are the owner of likely the worlds only butia X Cocos. Of course, if not you we could elect someone with a giant array of many of the different varieties of coconuts. Anyone have a ton of varieties?

This actually seems to me to be a genuinely good idea. When many people who don't know a thing about palm trees think of one, the coconut is certainly what they will think of! We will need a place of refuge when Discussing Palm trees Worldwide makes the change completely to Discussing Dypsis worldwide :lol:

Keith 

Well, you are the owner of likely the worlds only butia X Cocos. Of course, if not you we could elect someone with a giant array of many of the different varieties of coconuts. Anyone have a ton of varieties?

This actually seems to me to be a genuinely good idea. When many people who don't know a thing about palm trees think of one, the coconut is certainly what they will think of! We will need a place of refuge when Discussing Palm trees Worldwide makes the change completely to Discussing Dypsis worldwide :lol:

That's a good one Keith,, Discussing Dypsis Worldwide!! :lol: I love Coconut palms as much if not more than the other guy, but i have only a few varieties! I have a Tall, and some Maypans and even a golden Maypan. They are pretty big

and coming back strong from last winters arctic blast. But TikiRick has a love for the Coconut and he has that one funky Cocos that does'nt form a nut inside. That is who i elect as Prez!!! I guess he has to accept the nomination for it to be seconed! I also don't follow rules and technicle names for palms that alot of people find interesting, i am a "keep it to the basics" kind of guy! I can discuss in detail how to cross many different kinds of palms but when the fancy terminology comes about, well,, i never studied that far into it! Laymen terms i stick to! Thanks for the invite though Keith!

Mark

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

That's a good one Keith,, Discussing Dypsis Worldwide!! :lol: I love Coconut palms as much if not more than the other guy, but i have only a few varieties! I have a Tall, and some Maypans and even a golden Maypan. They are pretty big

and coming back strong from last winters arctic blast. But TikiRick has a love for the Coconut and he has that one funky Cocos that does'nt form a nut inside. That is who i elect as Prez!!! I guess he has to accept the nomination for it to be seconed! I also don't follow rules and technicle names for palms that alot of people find interesting, i am a "keep it to the basics" kind of guy! I can discuss in detail how to cross many different kinds of palms but when the fancy terminology comes about, well,, i never studied that far into it! Laymen terms i stick to! Thanks for the invite though Keith!

Mark

Mark

Ah yes, TikiRick's Macapuno. I heard that 80% of the coconuts from it are macapuno, which won't germinate. That means that 20% will germinate, so if he constructed a basket of some sort to collect the coconuts so they dont fall on his roof (he cuts them off because of that) we could all have a macapuno! I second the motion as long as he is willing to take the responsibility!

Keith 

That is great. I vote for rick too.

We will need a place of refuge when Discussing Palm trees Worldwide makes the change completely to Discussing Dypsis worldwide :lol:

Edited by tikitiki

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

im on board, love me some COCO JAMBOOS - big coconuts!

:lol::rolleyes::yay:

Rick, looks like you need to set up the net for the Macapunos! im in line for seed if you start harvesting them!

\\\touche on the 'disscussing Dypsis worldwide!' :floor::violin:

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/