IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sydney RBG

philinsydney

DSCF0645.jpg

DSCF0632.jpg

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

DSCF0630.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

DSCF0629.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Interesting, because in our cooler climate the same plants dominate the skyline-Washy's,CIDP,Norfolk Island Pines,Eucs...except here, one tree towers over all of them -Redwoods. Do they grow down there?

One of the better kept secrets of the Sydney Botanic Gardens is Parajubaea cocoides.  You have to be a detective to track them down and what a dissapointment that they are hidden in the rainforest section where it is impossible to get a full view of them.

Oh , Stan, yes redwoods are growing in parts of Oz but by no means a dominant part of most landscapes.  There are some big ones around though.

post-41-1151864860_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jeff Nugent, SW W.Australia 34deg.S

Mediterranean climate -

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters. Rarely a frost.

200m elevation, 75km from Indian Ocean and 60km from Southern Ocean.

permacultureplants.net

Hi Jeff, last time I was in the RBG the Parajubea closest to the Pyramid looked like it was on it's last legs. I would hazard a guess that it will be dead before long. About 15 years ago they decided to turn the surrounding garden bed into a rainforet area, and it has now grown up around the palm, to the point where it is now just about sub-canopy (as evidenced in your photo)...too much shade, too much age and who knows what else have all contributed to it's decline unfortunately.

The other plant I know of was down near the foreshore onthe way to Mrs Macquaries chair, but I haven't seen this for a long time. I had assumed it had died. Please tell me it still lives!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, I'll have a look for the Parajubaea next time I'm in there.

Stan, there are some relatively cold-sensitive palms growing outdoors in RBG, such as this Roystonea oleracea, but they are slow-growing.

Roystonea.jpg

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Looks like too many sun lovers in shade at the Sydney RBG.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Daryl @ Jul. 02 2006,18:46)

... Please tell me it still lives!

Daryl.

I really don't know Daryl, that pic was taken in 2000 and I haven't been back since.  I located both plants then and it wasn't easy.

Phillip, if you're looking for them ask at the visitors centre.  they looked it up in a direcytory then gave me grid references.

I had wasted 4 hours trying to get in there because the *&^%## olympic games had blocked all the roads and then many more hours trying to find them before arriving at the visitors centre.

Jeff Nugent, SW W.Australia 34deg.S

Mediterranean climate -

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters. Rarely a frost.

200m elevation, 75km from Indian Ocean and 60km from Southern Ocean.

permacultureplants.net

Parajubes HATE too much moisture.  I made a mistake of planting one right near my waterloving Roystonea oleracea, and it carked quickly.  :(

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.