IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Felicia

Manolitus

Why is it that all hurricanes that head toward the Big Island of Hawaii seem to ALWAYS veer to the south or to the north when they approach this island? Ever since weather records have been taken here there has never been a hurricane that has passed directly over the Big Island. Why? There must be some reasons although no one seems to want to say much fearing that we then, on the Big Island, might get too complacent whenever a storm heads our way. I've heard some suggest that perhaps it is our very high mountains (as high as 13,796ft. or 4,205m.) that might contribute to divert the path of these storms, however that's cojecture at this point. Seems to me though that too many years have gone by for this to just be coincidence as some of the other Hawaiian islands have been hit full on a number of times by strong hurricanes. Perhaps we will never know in our lifetime.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I am glad that former «Furacão Felícia» (now being called by the NWS simply 'Storm Felicia') has fizzled to the degree that it has! It has yet to reach O'ahu with its full force.

I live on a steep leeward mountain ridge of the Ko'olau in upper Mānoa Valley where storm or not, bizarre and relatively powerful random gusts are all too common and completely vexing, knocking over unexpected plants or shredding leaves (all my plants are potted and kept above ground on benches, terraced down the steep incline). So when I saw that gusts up to 49mph were forecast (at least this morning) for O'ahu, I set about post-haste culling out cycads and palms that I thought wise to bring indoors and made other preparations for areas of which I have learnt to be susceptible to toppling of plants by gusts. I certainly hope that my efforts will at least spare any losses or major damage. Would I be greedy to ask for no shredded leaves as well? ;) pretty please...

Of course I won't know until we're through with Madame Felicia, but I am heartened by the general weakening of the storm, and can only hope it continues to weaken as precipitously as possible!

I am very glad to hear that at least for our palm growers on Hawai'i Island that this storm didn't cause damage or any troubles worthy of mention!

Why is it that all hurricanes that head toward the Big Island of Hawaii seem to ALWAYS veer to the south or to the north when they approach this island? Ever since weather records have been taken here there has never been a hurricane that has passed directly over the Big Island. Why? There must be some reasons although no one seems to want to say much fearing that we then, on the Big Island, might get too complacent whenever a storm heads our way. I've heard some suggest that perhaps it is our very high mountains (as high as 13,796ft. or 4,205m.) that might contribute to divert the path of these storms, however that's cojecture at this point. Seems to me though that too many years have gone by for this to just be coincidence as some of the other Hawaiian islands have been hit full on a number of times by strong hurricanes. Perhaps we will never know in our lifetime.

Perhaps Madam Pele protects the island she is working on at the moment.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

It began raining abut 30 min ago at 9:30 p.m.

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

It began raining abut 30 min ago at 9:30 p.m.

Sun shinning this morning. Total rain 1.34 inches. Gotta go buy gas for the weed whacker as the weeds will be back in a week.

Steve we had about the same amount of rain as you got but ours came after Felicia had past (didn't affect us in south Kona). Our rain was one of those typical good summer showers we sometimes get in late afternoon or evening. It helped perk up the plants as it was beginning to get quite dry.

Next storm to think about out there is 'Guillermo'. They say it looks like it may head in a similar path as did Felicia.

Let's see where it goes this time. Not really worried about it smacking into the Big Island as they seem to always skirt around us, at least so far that's always been the case. Mauna Kea & Mauna Loa or Madame Pele, who ever or whatever is responsible, I thank them!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!