IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rocky the Swift

John in Andalucia

Good Job John,

What a great ending to a great story. If you believe in Karma, something good will come your way.

It sounds perfect for Hollywood. You better copyright the script. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Its so lovely to hear that Rocky has graduated into the big wide world. Guess you are feeling a few mixed emotions right now John, but be proud that you did a great job raising the little fellow and have a big enough heart to attempt it in the first place. Bon Voyage little Rocky.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Well, nice to see a happy ending!

Of course, all swifts look alike . . . . . . .

Hope those symptoms are only flu-like and not flu.

Try some osillococcinum?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

John,

Great job as a surrogate father. GIves a whole new meaning to "empty nest syndrome".

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Well, nice to see a happy ending!

Of course, all swifts look alike . . . . . . .

Hope those symptoms are only flu-like and not flu.

Try some osillococcinum?

That was my boy Rocky, I tell you! Thinking back, he was maybe only 50 feet up, but after disappearing in the opposite direction, he turned and flew right over my head. He was instantly recognisable by his less-than-perfect tail feathers, and his fledgling enthusiasm!

Flu-like it was, Dave. It turns out I had mild food poisoning, or possibly a reaction to some trout I ate a couple of nights ago.

Peachy, my head has been so zonked today, but yes, I found myself wandering in the garden looking skywards, and Terry was right, I miss the little guy already. Still, It's well-documented now.

Thanks Dean, and Kitty - hope you all enjoyed it! :)

• 4 months later...

Ron, thanks for bumping this. I somehow missed the end of the story.

Nice to see it had a happy ending!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

:crying:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 10 months later...

Yahhhhh!!!!!! :greenthumb: Nice work John! Go Rocky Go!!!!!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks! I tried uploading the video 5 times and the audio was blocked repeatedly because I used a Led Zeppelin track. So each time, I followed their advice to process the video with one of the royalty-free tracks from the YouTube sound library but it never fully loaded, or played - except once. Now, it appears they've let me keep the original soundtrack. That's what I hear on my PC, and on my mother's PC it's the same, but on my Dad's laptop he hears the replacement soundtrack. Weird. I hope you're all hearing the soothing guitar instrumental, Bron-Yr-Aur by Led Zeppelin. The replacement track was a kind of bluegrass, fast instrumental which was okay, but not in the same category.

Thanks! I tried uploading the video 5 times and the audio was blocked repeatedly because I used a Led Zeppelin track. So each time, I followed their advice to process the video with one of the royalty-free tracks from the YouTube sound library but it never fully loaded, or played - except once. Now, it appears they've let me keep the original soundtrack. That's what I hear on my PC, and on my mother's PC it's the same, but on my Dad's laptop he hears the replacement soundtrack. Weird. I hope you're all hearing the soothing guitar instrumental, Bron-Yr-Aur by Led Zeppelin. The replacement track was a kind of bluegrass, fast instrumental which was okay, but not in the same category.

I did not get Led Zeppelin. :crying:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I did not get Led Zeppelin. :crying:

Ron, I am in the process of uploading the video to Photobucket. We'll see if that makes any difference for you.

Nope. They wouldn't allow it. Sorry!

Thats so sweet John... :) well done I take

my hat off to you...

Regards Mikey...

P.s Peachy where's the picture's.. :D

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Fun!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 year later...

just wasted 45 seconds of my life on a bumped thread about a bird from 2009 & i'll never get them back. :rolleyes:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

just wasted 45 seconds of my life on a bumped thread about a bird from 2009 & i'll never get them back. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should start reading always the last post! :D

Btw, John, any update?

Hey, Rocky!

Watch me fly at 200 mph, in level flight . . . . :blink::blink::blink:

Well, maybe not that fast.

But fast, nevertheless . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 year later...

Bleah! :Dmaybe a minute & a half now :blink:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B