IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Too much of a good thing

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

A lot of people have the idea that it's best to have only one of as many kinds of palms as possible.  Which is a reasonable thing to do if you're on a teensy little bitty lot.

That said, sometimes it's nice to have a LOT  of something.

I have about 16 Chambeyronea in the ground, plus at least an equal number of Dypsis baronii.  And, I'll end up with about 30 or so Archontophoenix, and a dozen or so Roystonea.

I know of a guy who's got about 200 Jubes, but I'll let him "out" himself if he wants.

So, did any of the rest of you go simian-poopy on any one species?  Yeah, I guess that would include keeping things you could trash, like the million washies that some people have with their houses.  

So, how about it?

Whatchoo got a lotta of?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, I have a small lot but 12 Archontophoenix is my most abundant genus.  It's the foundation for a nice canopy someday.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Beccariophoenix (windows)

Dypsis lutescens

Dypsis cabadae

Chamaedorea cataractarum

Bismarckia

Livistona chinensis

Ravenea rivularis

Cocos nucifera

Coccothrinax barbadensis

I know what you're saying Dave but I didn't go that way. Archos and Veitchias for canopy doesn't count. I went for the many species "palm of attack", oh, better pop that term in the palapa word post.

Wouldn't mind seeing an update pic of your Chambys and Baronii there Dave, how they doin' ?.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

arenga,pritchardia,bismarkia seem to be the most abundant in my yard. :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jun. 30 2006,14:06)

Howdyall:

A lot of people have the idea that it's best to have only one of as many kinds of palms as possible.  Which is a reasonable thing to do if you're on a teensy little bitty lot.

I have about 16 Chambeyronea in the ground, plus at least an equal number of Dypsis baronii.  And, I'll end up with about 30 or so Archontophoenix, and a dozen or so Roystonea.

I know of a guy who's got about 200 Jubes, but I'll let him "out" himself if he wants.

So, did any of the rest of you go simian-poopy on any one species?  Yeah, I guess that would include keeping things you could trash, like the million washies that some people have with their houses.  

So, how about it?

Whatchoo got a lotta of?

dave

Groups of Chambeyronia's are awesome, I might be due for another trip to your crib to see the progress, I don't remember that many planted last visit.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Coccothrinax

Copernicia

Livistona

Chamaedorea

are most abundant.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Dave,

I'd love to have fifty coconut palms and be done with it, but no luck in SoCal.

In lieu of, I've got 15 Kentias, 12 Roebolinis, 4 Med.Fans, 4 Ravenala madagascariensis, 4 Strelitzia nicolai, 2 Reclinatas, 1 Roystonea and 4 more coming next week.

How are the Chambeyronea doing? I'd love to have a few of those here.

Did you say you already have a dozen Royals or that you're planning on getting them? I'm looking for any good advice on growing Royals.

Ashton

Palos Verdes Peninsula

(Wal @ Jun. 30 2006,15:24)

Wouldn't mind seeing an update pic of your Chambys and Baronii there Dave, how they doin' ?.

To quote that great sage Fernando Lamas:

MAHVELOUS, simply mahvelous!

dave (mahvelous?)

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Gtlevine @ Jun. 30 2006,16:33)

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jun. 30 2006,14:06)

Howdyall:

So, how about it?

Whatchoo got a lotta of?

dave

Groups of Chambeyronia's are awesome, I might be due for another trip to your crib to see the progress, I don't remember that many planted last visit.

Gary

Like Delta Airlines, I'm ready when you are.

Many of the Chambeys are kinda small, half-hidden by more bodacious things, but they'll grow.

Probably gonna plant more this weak-end!

dave

(Mikein FL @ Jun. 30 2006,20:18)

I start with ~80 royals.  Needless to say, there is a lot of crashing noises.

WHOA!

That IS a lot.

How big's your lot?

dave

I have a lot of Archontophoenix (not as many as Dave, but it's my #1 species)

11 A Tuckeri

7 A cunninghamiana

3 A purpurea

1 A myolensis

1 A maxima

Too bad I won't be able to enjoy them when they are all mature, but maybe the next person who owns my house will appreciate them!

Jeff in St Pete

Why Jeff? Are you moving?

Because those are relatively fast growers. 6-8 years in the ground and they will look VERY tropical!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jeff!

My question exactly.

Hmm.  Instead of Johnny Appleseed, Jeff Archontophoenixseed?

Oh, gawd, the wild weekend's only begun . . ..

dave

I agree davey....I prefer the mass planting look over the plant zoo look. I've got 8 Roy Reggies, 6 Archantophoenix(3 Beatrice), 6 Parajubaeas, 7 Sabal Causiarum, 6 Cham Humilis, 5 dyp Ohnilahensis, 4 Rav Rivularis,4 Br Clara, 3 Biz, 4 Jub...plus the aforementioned 11 Dypsis Ambositrae in one hole (my Amboo Bamboo)

My next muchos palmas planting will be Sabal Mauritioformis.

Chambys would be good, too...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Group planting is a VISUAL thing. How about PHOTOS!!??

Here's one I took many years ago, around 1993, at Phil Bergman's place in San Diego (Phil - hope you don't mind!!). The photo was used for this book, and since I don't know where the original photo is (which is not a digital photo anyway), here's a photo of the book cover. Archontophoenix cunninghamiana may be common, but a grove is still quite a sight!

post-22-1151780796_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill and Dave, Yes it looks like I am moving.  I'm quitting my job, selling my house, my car, all my belongings and moving to Costa Rica in a few months.   I can't wait to get down there and start planting palms!

Jeff in St Pete

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jun. 30 2006,20:20)

(Mikein FL @ Jun. 30 2006,20:18)

I start with ~80 royals.  Needless to say, there is a lot of crashing noises.

WHOA!

That IS a lot.

How big's your lot?

dave

Dave, My garden is 1.5 acre.  The royals make some nice canopy, but the downside is when those 40#+ boots come crashing down, they destroy some understory palms.  Well that nature!  This also includes ~ 1/3 acre nursery.

A grove of Actinorhytis calapparia. These are great for canopy because the fronds are very light and don't cause any damage when they fall to the ground.

post-22-1151791898_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Mike E:

Yowza, you've got the dive.   An acre and a half!  That's a lot.  Literally and figureatively.

I suspect many small palms will take a whack or two better than you might think.

How about some pictures?

dave

And in Florida, Royals are still standing when all the others have been laid to waste by hurricanes and tornado's ..no wonder they are native and coconuts are not, right?

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jul. 01 2006,20:43)

Mike E:

Yowza, you've got the dive.   An acre and a half!  That's a lot.  Literally and figureatively.

I suspect many small palms will take a whack or two better than you might think.

How about some pictures?

dave

Dave, Here is a link to my garden slideshow pics.  These were last years photos.  I guess I need to update for this year, before the hurricanes.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums....ow=true

MIKE!

My fingers are trembling, from looking at your pix, gadzooks!

I want my mommy!  I want my daddy!

I want some Fworida Weal Estate Wight Now!  I WANT I WANT.

Ahem.  Those are great pix.

dave

DSCF0016~1.JPG

dave

DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0015~0.JPG

I second that motion.I went through that slide show three times already.Very impressive and thank you for sharing.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Okay.

Sharing?

Got palms, etc.  Too many:  Chamadorea radicalis, too may Dypsis "ambositrae", too may Parajubes, of all types and stripes.

dave

Yipe!

Dave what is that hairy thing right by the palm in the first picture is that a hand? :laugh:

San Marcos CA

(Shon @ Jul. 03 2006,20:47)

Dave what is that hairy thing right by the palm in the first picture is that a hand? :laugh:

That is my hairy ape-like hand.

And, the palm in question is a Dypsis baronii, which is blooming for the first time.

I am SO stoked.

Now to get up at dawn for some serious weeding . . . .

dave

Here's a pic of some baronii of the future, in in the strip of dirt next to the road.  You can just barely see them in the foreground.

They're sharing the space with some D. onilihensis.

normal_DSCF0018.JPG

Nice yard Dave how about a few pics of your Chambeyronia's?

Shon

San Marcos CA

Someone wanted pix of the Chambeyroneas.

Here they are, a couple of them:

normal_DSCF0004~4.JPG

Here's another:

normal_DSCF0005~2.JPG

And still more:

normal_DSCF0011~1.JPG

• 1 month later...

So, who else has [what someone ELSE SAYS] too much of a good thing?

dave