IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold in Kona

Al in Kona

Wondering if I should get out my sweater in a few days.  

Check our Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island projected 5-day temperature drop - if it happens it will be our coolest day in many months.  It should warm up again by Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 23 - for those who are not familiar with this holiday).  To all you guys interested in weather and daily temperature changes, etc., thought perhaps I should contribute too.  

Today Nov.15    Nov. 16    Nov. 17    Nov. 18    Nov. 19

86/74                85/73       84/72       84/72       83/72

30/23.3             29.4/        28.8/        28.8/         28.3/

22.7         22.2         22.2           22.2

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Give me a break, Al...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I am weeping for you Al.

With temperatures like the below, its hard for them to be much more than Crocodile tears though :D

That record low of 57 F back in 2003 must have really stressed out your Lipstick Palms....LOL.

kona.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

brrrrrrrrr

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 15 2006,11:06)

I am weeping for you Al.

With temperatures like the below, its hard for them to be much more than Crocodile tears though :D

That record low of 57 F back in 2003 must have really stressed out your Lipstick Palms....LOL.

kona.jpg

Those lows in Aug, Sept, Oct have to be in error. Those are the warmest months.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Al,

Don't forget your mittens! And longjohns will come in handy when the nightime low drops below 70F... :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

It was 1C (34F) at my location on the Big Island last night, and it was down to about -4C (25F) a couple nights ago.  I did have mittens on, and long underwear, and a jacket, and a hat....

I have a whole set of winter clothes that I only wear when I come to Hawai'i  :laugh:

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Nov. 15 2006,18:31)

It was 1C (34F) at my location on the Big Island last night, and it was down to about -4C (25F) a couple nights ago.  I did have mittens on, and long underwear, and a jacket, and a hat....

I have a whole set of winter clothes that I only wear when I come to Hawai'i  :laugh:

Where on Hawaii are you?  What elevation would produce those temps on the Big Is.?   :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

Not sure how often Jack (elHoagie) is able to check the forum, so I'll answer for him. Jack is up in one of the observatories on the summit of Mauna Kea, elevation 13792 ft. Last time I was up there (March) there was plenty of snow! Technically you can do downhill skiing during select periods during the winter when there's enough snow, but it tends to melt away over a couple of weeks. And then when the next winter storm hits with plenty of rain at lower elevations, there can be snow all the way down to the 8000-9000 ft elevation, and it'll close the road to the summit. But the snow at those "lower" elevations melts away pretty quickly (a few days).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Dypsisdean @ Nov. 15 2006,16:53)

Those lows in Aug, Sept, Oct have to be in error. Those are the warmest months.

I grabbed the data from weather.com for Kailua Kona, HI.

If it were incorrect, it would not be the first time there was an error.

Larry 

Heres a good generalized description of the Hawaiian climate courtesy of the NOAA.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/climate_summary.php

One line jumped out at me......

"Arctic air that reaches Hawaii, during the winter, may have a temperature increase by as much as 100 degrees during its passage over the waters of the North Pacific.'

Larry 

(Alan_Tampa @ Nov. 15 2006,19:17)

Best put some socks on with those flip-flops.

Alan

Alan,

That was extreamly good!!! :D  LOL!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

New York,NY.... temp at 11:00pm... 62f...  Mid november....  "Start spreading the news... I'm leaving today...."

Yes I'm bragging because I know it's not gonna last too much longer

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 15 2006,23:20)

New York,NY.... temp at 11:00pm... 62f...  Mid november....  "Start spreading the news... I'm leaving today...."

Yes I'm bragging because I know it's not gonna last too much longer

Nice and warm here too.....1124PM and 76F.

But....its also going to be short lived here as tomorrow's high is likely to be less than the temp right now.

Larry 

Still very warm down her, but becoming more mild as each day goes by. We just got some much needed rain last night, about 3/10th's of an inch. Thats what we needed.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 16 2006,13:44)

We just got some much needed rain last night, about 3/10th's of an inch. Thats what we needed.

Jeff

Same up here...some areas logged nearly 2" last night!

I go stiffed and only got something around 3/4".

Larry 

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 16 2006,13:44)

Still very warm down her, but becoming more mild as each day goes by.

Big changes coming Jeff.......

Looks like lower to mid 40's up here and upper 40's down your way for early next week.  Highs look to be lucky to reach 70F down south and likely not even 65F up here  ???

Larry 

Staying very dry with mostly light wind.  No precipitation on the horizon.  But skies are blue and temps are warm so who cares   :P

LA : 85/60

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Al,

Your temperatures are not to far from ours.  It is nice to see the  cool winter weather cycle move in.  The forecast below is pretty much what it has been like lately.  In reality it is summer time at our latitude south of the equator, but at 3 degrees south what matters more is really rain and clouds, and that is what is considered winter around here.  There was a real odd ball occurance here the other day, it actually hailed in one part of the city.  That is virtually unheard of.

dk

Nov24.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg