IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Palmetum Enero 2009"

Carlo Morici

A friend prepared a video about the Palmetum in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

It was recorded in January, but he just uploaded it in Youtube.

How do you like it?

Carlo

Nice video Carlo! What a beautiful setting. I love seeing palms with blue water in the background.

Thanks for posting the link!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Carlo,

I loved it.......so nice to see the palms swaying in the breeze. Music was nice too. Your palms and location are spectacular.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It was a great video! Josema is very talented! ;) The Bismarckias are starting to get very tall!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Awesome video Carlo. Looks very beautiful there. I'll have to visit one day. Keep up the good work.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Nice one Carlo

Was that you on the piano :rolleyes: ?

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Jose Manuel has done a great job!

It's very interesting to see the diference between the Winter light when the video was filmed, and the light levels on the pictures at the end of the video that where taken just 4 days ago.

The Palmetum is a magic place.

Very nice stuff.

"Not the straight angle that attracts me, nor straight, hard, inflexible, created by man. What attracts me is the free and sensual curve, the curves that find in the mountains of my country, in the course of its winding rivers, the sea waves, the body of the woman preferred. Curves is done throughout the universe, the universe of Einstein's curved." -Oscar Niemeyer

Thank you all,

Please help to spread this video... the palmetum has never been opened to the public. Most people have just seen pictures and a video was needed to show the environment and setting. Link this to Palmpedia and other palm websites?

Dick, that day the breeze was a really bad wind and the camera had to stop often as they were moving too fast!

Kyle, Josema is veeery good with videos. This time he made this a bit too fast. Hopefully the next video will be supreme. Tell him to come again and make more.

Charles, it was not me on the piano. I can play drums... but that can be a bit too tropical :unsure: Maybe the next video could go with the natural sounds of local birds, or some traditional Canarian music, or a good Spanish guitar?

The last few pictures were shot by Paco last week. He should be on the credits... but I see no credits :( ... next time.

So nobody wants to try to guess the species? There are some really uncommon ones scattered in the video.

Magnificent palms on a magnificent island, plus a great presentation :mrlooney: I'll pass it along to some friends!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wow, that was spectacular! What a garden and everything looks so happy there. I love the water and cliff shots. The video is a very nice compilation. I love the nice music playing while the palm fronds are blowing in the wind. Watching the video is very tranquil.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I like the video, Carlo. Interesting music. It made it very romantic! Did I see a Dypsis leptocheilos at the beginning?

I am glad you all enjoy this. Please link it to your webpages and social networks and help to spread it.

Yes, the first shots focus on a tall group of Dypsis leptocheilos. Other large palms in the same pictures are Bismarckia nobilis, Dypsis madagascariensis, Ravenea rivularis and Dypsis cabadae.

And it was an absolute desert with only dust, about 14 years ago!

Carlo

Watching this video made me very happy! :) Such a beautiful place! Now it's on my Facebook page.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Molto bello video...!!

I see a nice spot by the pond for a few Moricias too... to be sent soon... :winkie:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

The video shows how well many of the palms have matured.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us