IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida sea grape

Zeeth

I've seen some wonderful sea grape trees at the beach and a friends house. I don't really like the hedge look, but I love the look of them when they are pruned into a tree. They give such great shade and are great climbing tree. Anyone else like this look?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Don't even get me started....my favorite tree to be sure.

What I have discovered is that the Coccoloba Uvifera tends to be a sprawling shrub near the ocean and more of a tree inland in Z10. I have 2 that are of the sprawling shrub nature, more than likely due to our California climate. However, they are starting to form a semblence of a trunk, which is not a good sign based on where they are planted. If you search this site, you will find a few pictures of some giant seagrapes (as trees) in Central Fla.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

On the Florida Atlantic coast, they are strictly a beach species, and historically, they were regularly burned in lightning-set fires. The dune vegetation was surprisingly flammable. The South side of Sebastian Inlet, site of several prescribed burns, gives an idea of how things once looked.

Sea grapes are also vulnerable to bad freezes.

In cultivation, one look is to trim them as a fairly low hedge while allowing some stems to grow up then branch out. You get a layer-cake look. The Silver Pavillon in Kyoto has a giant hedge something like that.

post-275-1247720228_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Those hedges really don't look like Seagrape, do they? I would also doubt that they would survive in Kyoto, unless they are indoors?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Its one of my favorites. Its so exotic looking, nothing beats a large, open tree sized specimen.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dave, I know what you are talking about. I see hedges in the more upscale areas around town grown like the ones your picture. Its an interesting look.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Those hedges really don't look like Seagrape, do they? I would also doubt that they would survive in Kyoto, unless they are indoors?

My thought as well. I think those might be a Ligustrum or Viburnum species.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

This is the way Zeeth and Epic like them:

Picture418.jpg

Yup! How old do they have to be (approximately) before they start to look like a tree, as opposed to a shrub.

Keith 

And to show a little wood:

Picture417.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about. Suh-weet.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Yup! How old do they have to be (approximately) before they start to look like a tree, as opposed to a shrub.

I don't know but I can tell yoou that if you prune the largest branches while young, it will probably not develop into a tree.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I've seen some wonderful sea grape trees at the beach and a friends house. I don't really like the hedge look, but I love the look of them when they are pruned into a tree. They give such great shade and are great climbing tree. Anyone else like this look?

We love them. Brought some seeds back from Miami and planted them about 3 years ago and I have a nice 6 foot Sea Grape in a pot. Don't know if it will make it hear but I may plant it a try in a year or so.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

We love them. Brought some seeds back from Miami and planted them about 3 years ago and I have a nice 6 foot Sea Grape in a pot. Don't know if it will make it hear but I may plant it a try in a year or so.

They don't like frosts or freezes but grow back extremely quickly in the spring if damaged. I don't know if you would get a large tree out of a damaged, young plant. Interesting question.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

In Florida, sea grapes are native only about as far north as Daytona Beach. They would likely persist as 'perennials' with a bit of care farther north.

I need to take a photo of a two-layer sea grape in a local beach park. Because sea grapes grow rather fast and are well-adapted to recovery from damage, they survive severe pruning quite well, whether it's occasional whackings or incessant poodling.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

They had 3 gallon ones today at Wally world for $4.50. I picked up the most tree like specimen, has some nice gray wood with good character. I'm wondering where to plant it to give it full tree potential, I'm thinking in the front yard in the mulch bed close to the street. I'll put up pics after I plant it.

Keith 

They don't like frosts or freezes but grow back extremely quickly in the spring if damaged. I don't know if you would get a large tree out of a damaged, young plant. Interesting question.

I talked to a guy in the SE part of Houston that say he has one in his yard that is a few years old. He says it has done well. We get slightly colder here in the NW part of Houston. Gives me hope anyway.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches