IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for some specialty trees

Justin

I cut down some Ficus trees, and now have some room for a select few number of trees. I have done quite a bit of research, and here's what is on my short list:

Meryta Balansae

Gigasiphon macrosiphon

Jacaranda jasminoides

Aloe hercules

Rauvolfia samarensis

Fernandoa abbreviata

Chiranthofremontia lenzii

If you know sources for any of these, could you please respond or PM me?

Thanks in advance!

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

You don't make it easy. :)

Meryta Balansae - I have two I can sell just potted up. But when I paid $45 for a 4 in seedling, you can guess these plants are not cheap.

Gigasiphon macrosiphon - Good luck. I got mine from Leon and had to drop coin to get it. Not sure it is around anymore. Peter might know.

Jacaranda jasminoides - Leon has these. They grow fast.

Aloe hercules - Rancho Soledad has some really nice ones. Not to bad priced either.

Rauvolfia samarensis - Gary Levine gets seedlings off his tree. He might have some in the ground that can be dug.

Fernandoa abbreviata - Never heard of it but it looks cool after Googling it.

I cut down some Ficus trees, and now have some room for a select few number of trees. I have done quite a bit of research, and here's what is on my short list:

Meryta Balansae

Gigasiphon macrosiphon

Jacaranda jasminoides

Aloe hercules

Rauvolfia samarensis

Fernandoa abbreviata

Thanks in advance!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Meryta Balansae

Gigasiphon macrosiphon

Jacaranda jasminoides

Aloe hercules

Rauvolfia samarensis

Fernandoa abbreviata

Thanks in advance!

Justin--

How big are you after? I was recently informed that some Rauvolfia samarensis that I had grown from seed a few years back just got shifted to 36" boxes and are looking for a new home. (At a former employer's. somewhere in north or central OC) I can inquire if you want something that big.

Otherwise, fresh seed (fall/early winter) germinates readily (maybe too readily in SoCal...), and they are very easy to get up to size if you've got a few years.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Aloe Hercules is also now available from several wholesale growers such as San Marcos Growers, Monterey Bay Wholesale Nursery in Watsonville, in smaller sizes such as one gallon.

How much might a 36" Rauvolfia cost? I might have room, since I just had some Ficuses removed, and the area where the trunk used to be is easy to dig. If you don't want to post the price, just PM me. Thanks.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

How much might a 36" Rauvolfia cost? I might have room, since I just had some Ficuses removed, and the area where the trunk used to be is easy to dig. If you don't want to post the price, just PM me. Thanks.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Hey Justin--

I just sent you a PM, I think, but I don't see it in the "Sent" box. LMK if you didn't get it, and I'll try again.

Ken.

_____

You might inquire at the UC Davis Arboretum to see if they can suggest any sources for X Chiranthofremontia, or perhaps they are propagating it themselves. The Dry Garden nursery in Berkeley was selling them a couple years back, but they don't mail order.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

January average high/low: 44/32

July average high/low: 74/51

16" annual average precipitation

Hey Justin--

I just sent you a PM, I think, but I don't see it in the "Sent" box. LMK if you didn't get it, and I'll try again.

Ken.

I got it - thanks!