IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Dr. Dewayne Richardson

Jeff in St Pete

Astrocaryum alatum

post-747-1248578176_thumb.jpg

Bactris hondurensis

post-747-1248578192_thumb.jpg

I heard someone say that these looked like Zamias, but then I thought I heard someone say they were Chamaedorea that looked like a Zamia? I meant to take a closer look at them later but I forgot.

post-747-1248578281_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

post-747-1248578484_thumb.jpg

post-747-1248578502_thumb.jpg

I think the two on the right are some kind of Syagrus. He listed the following Syagrus species - amara, coronata, orinocensis, picrophylla, pseudococos, romanzoffiana, and "tefe". Could these palms be orinocensis, picrophylla or pseudococos?

post-747-1248578521_thumb.jpg

Dictyosperma album

post-747-1248578675_thumb.jpg

Syagrus coronata - I never gave this palm much thought before. After seeing it in person, I fell in love with the silver-blue fronds. It really stood out in the garden.

post-747-1248578719_thumb.jpg

I like the fact that he had every palm tagged!

post-747-1248578732_thumb.jpg

I previously said I could only make out the species name of macrocarpa on the tag for this palm. Actually all I could read is macro(something) and I assumed it was macrocarpa. I found a photo of the entire palm and it is NOT Chambeyronia macrocarpa, I believe it's Chamaedorea macrospadix

post-747-1248579093_thumb.jpg

The entire palm

post-747-1248579119_thumb.jpg

Fruit

post-747-1248579132_thumb.jpg

Another shot of Syagrus coronata in the background

post-747-1248579594_thumb.jpg

Latania

post-747-1248579607_thumb.jpg

I loved the fact that you had to go through this gate and duck under the Kerriodoxa elegans leaves to get to the other part of the garden!

post-747-1248579914_thumb.jpg

A few potted Iriartea deltoidea - my favorite Costa Rican native palm!

post-747-1248579927_thumb.jpg

Reinhardtia simplex

post-747-1248580118_thumb.jpg

Reinhardtia gracilis - both species were planted together

post-747-1248580134_thumb.jpg

Reinhardtia gracilis leaf and seeds

post-747-1248580148_thumb.jpg

post-747-1248580354_thumb.jpg

post-747-1248580369_thumb.jpg

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis with Dr Richardson's son for scale

post-747-1248580409_thumb.jpg

post-747-1248580637_thumb.jpg

Licuala ramsayi

post-747-1248580653_thumb.jpg

Looking up at the crown of the giant Arenga pinnata

post-747-1248580681_thumb.jpg

Veitchia

post-747-1248580875_thumb.jpg

post-747-1248580892_thumb.jpg

Livistona rotundifolia

post-747-1248580911_thumb.jpg

That should be all the photos. The end. :)

Thanks Jeff. Great photos and it must have been a most enjoyable PRA. I love the setting where the meeting was held. What is the size of the property?

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Thanks Jeff. Great photos and it must have been a most enjoyable PRA. I love the setting where the meeting was held. What is the size of the property?

Robert

Robert, It was a very enjoyable PRA! This truly is one of the best private collections I have ever seen.

I've been meaning to ask him the size of his property. I would guess it is about 1 hectare, but I don't know for sure.

• 3 years later...

Bump, and for very good reason.

This is "Very Inspiring" , thanks for this stunning thread Jeff, beautiful photography, Id love to see these gardens, have you visited again since? Pete :)

Jeff, Marco Herrero, Ben Morris and I visited the garden last year. Dr. Richardson is one of the most generous men I have ever met. Marcos brought him an Actiniokentia Divaricata and I brought him a Lemurophonix and you could just see the gratitude in his eyes. Thanks for this bump as I plan on giving Dr. Richardson a call and paying him another visit. By the way, his orchid courtyard in the middle of his backyard is a marvel as well.

Jeff, Marco Herrero, Ben Morris and I visited the garden last year. Dr. Richardson is one of the most generous men I have ever met. Marcos brought him an Actiniokentia Divaricata and I brought him a Lemurophonix and you could just see the gratitude in his eyes. Thanks for this bump as I plan on giving Dr. Richardson a call and paying him another visit. By the way, his orchid courtyard in the middle of his backyard is a marvel as well.

Thanks Jason, this was a "well deserved bumped thread" imo, look fwd to next update thread including his Orchid courtyard garden, is your palm we chatted about seeding yet? :) Pete

It did seed but it did not hold the seed this time which I thought rather bizarre but we did have some hard rains in April so maybe that was a factor. I still have you slated for seed (with careful labeling). Dr. Richardson also gave me a Pinanga Caesia that had some serious purple in it and I think there is quite alot of differentiation with this species as the petiole and leaf have more purple but they are younger trees so only time will tell.

This is "Very Inspiring" , thanks for this stunning thread Jeff, beautiful photography, Id love to see these gardens, have you visited again since? Pete :)

Pete, here is the link to our return visit to Dewayne's garden. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34118-costa-rican-pra/ I only live about 20 minutes away from Dewayne now so I really would like to go back again for another visit. He has another plot of land that he calls "the farm" where he has a lot of other palms planted. I haven't been to that property yet. The first couple visits I took my pocket camera, next time I want to go back with my good camera and take some better photos.

Pete, here is the link to our return visit to Dewayne's garden. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34118-costa-rican-pra/ I only live about 20 minutes away from Dewayne now so I really would like to go back again for another visit. He has another plot of land that he calls "the farm" where he has a lot of other palms planted. I haven't been to that property yet. The first couple visits I took my pocket camera, next time I want to go back with my good camera and take some better photos.

Many thanks for the" return link" Jeff. WOW, I want to see it "even much more now" , beautiful photography as usual, :greenthumb: Pete :)