IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Would you have spent $5.00 on this palm?

TikiRick

I came across this interesting plant yesterday while at a closing palm nursery. I thought is was a Rhapis of some sort, but I am not sure. Is it a cultivar of Rhapis excelsa cv. 'nana'??

Regardless, when I asked the price and he told me $5.00 I was not so concerned with the species....I knew it was something I didn't have in my collection. It was growing in deep shade in the shade house, so I would assume that it will do well indoors with indirect light.

Does anyone know this species? What are it's requirements?

I thought $5.00 was a steal! :rolleyes:

It is in a 7 gallon container and stands about 28" tall overall.

post-918-1247311816_thumb.jpg

post-918-1247311825_thumb.jpg

post-918-1247311834_thumb.jpg

post-918-1247311844_thumb.jpg

It even had, what I consider, reasonably large seeds on it. My hand for scale.

post-918-1247311859_thumb.jpg

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Wow Rick!!

What a find and a steal. It looks like a Chuniophoenix nana. It looks like a well grown plant too. Give it a lot of shade. In Calif. that plant would go for big $$$$.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Tom,

You beat me to the draw. I agree.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Rick - it may be a Rhapis robusta :unsure: . There was more than $5.00 in soil, containers and fertilizer involved to get it to that size, not accounting for labor and time taking up room in the shade house. You got an outstanding deal :drool: !

You should leave it inside :greenthumb: , your crotons may get jealous and gang up on it if you planted it outside. :lol:

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I agree with Moose. My first impression when I saw the first photo that it was a Rhapis. Still a good deal as Moose says although not as good if it were a C. nana that size.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Rick - same cultural requirements as Rhapis excelsis. B) Should be fabulous as an interior palm. :greenthumb:

Ron. :)

Good find Rick!

5 bucks is a steal!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Shaaaa wingggggggggg. Very nice score Rick.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

That was a steal, indeed.

It does look like a Chuniophoenix nana. If it is, those seeds will turn into what look like orange gumballs at maturity.

Keep it in the shade . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

you have the rest us us drooling at your palm Rick! Nice find! a $5 7gallon anything (insert your weed palm here) is a great deal!

:drool::drool::greenthumb:

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Rick, steal of deal. Hope my C. nana seedling looks like that someday.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I thought I bought every last one...I must have missed that one! I think they were actually calling them "Rhapis nana" or something like that.

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

Definitely a Chuniophoenix nana or the old name humilis. $5???!!! awesome deal!!!

Rhapis are INDOOR palms ???? I have some $5 mystery palms here too. It seems to be the going rate for something they cant put a name to. I have 2 sabal somethingorothers, a fan palm that wont stop growing, about 3 metres now and no sign of slowing up, and a feather palm that is finally starting to resemble a Carpentaria. I wont bother to mention the forest of mystery $5 bamboos.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

John - looking at the leaf tips in Rick's photos. They are pointed as are Rhapis robusta. The PACSOA link shows blunt leaves in their photos. I am not a palm biologist nor palm professional, just a hobbyist. It is the pointed leaves that lead me to indentify the palm to be Rhapis robusta. Chuniophoenix nana? It could be, I can't say with certainty. :unsure:

Either species, Rick got a great deal. :greenthumb: I am sure Rick would like to know what it is for sure.

Ron.

Hi Ron,

I have a couple of C. nana seedlings for comparison. They're younger than Rick's plant by a few years, but comparing his plant to a similar sized Rhapis robusta, they don't look that similar, however I won't dispute your opinion. Rhapis robusta at this age appears to have uniquely "scooped" leaves, with no juvenile, flat leaves.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/es/pix/RhaRob.shtml

post-1155-1247417112_thumb.jpg

John - looking at the leaf tips in Rick's photos. They are pointed as are Rhapis robusta. The PACSOA link shows blunt leaves in their photos. I am not a palm biologist nor palm professional, just a hobbyist. It is the pointed leaves that lead me to indentify the palm to be Rhapis robusta. Chuniophoenix nana? It could be, I can't say with certainty. :unsure:

Either species, Rick got a great deal. :greenthumb: I am sure Rick would like to know what it is for sure.

Ron.

Here's a Fairchild herbarium sheet showing the pointed leaves of C. nana. I think some of the leaves in the PACSOA photos do not look pointed because there are several leaflets still joined, or they have been damaged. Since C. nana is self-fertile (Rhapis is not), and this lone plant had fruit, I'm sticking with C. nana for now. We should know for sure when the fruit matures. :)

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Well done. You don't get anything for $5 over here......except from my garden. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

nana nana

nana nana

hey hey hey

good buy!

;)

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

Tom & John - you have me convinced. :greenthumb: Thanks for your imput and information, it is well appreciated.

Hey Rick, your deal is even sweeter than I tought!

It appears that the consensus is that you acquired a 7 gallon Chuniophoenix nana for $5.00.

Thief :drool: !

Kindest regards, :)

Ron.

A steal at $5.00!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Yippee!

Folks, in the spirit of American business and capitalism....

I now have a 7 gallon Chuniophoenix nana for sale for only $50.00!

(Just joking!!)

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Rick,

You couldn't pry that Chuniophoenix out of your fingers for any amount of money. (Not joking!) I can't believe you got it for 5$. The grower must not have known what it was. If you plant it outside, put it in a visable shadey spot, and don't ever let it dry out. The first time I saw one, I thought it was some kind of Rhapis, but the ripe red fruit was a give away.

Dick

Richard Douglas

No, I don't think they knew just what they were, as they were tagged something like "Rhapis dwarf sp. nana", or something similar, I don't remember exactly. Before I saw them, I had asked where their Chuniophoenix nanas were, but they didn't know what I was talking about. It's very easy to confuse them with Rhapis - even side-by-side, the stems, leaves and hastulas (or lack of) are very similar.

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

Rick, If you got it where I think you did, they are definitely Chuniophoenix nana. I gathered a few 3 gal ones before" the one in the know" left the premises. I would have gotten the 7 gals too except we were full to the brim with interesting unnamed Dypsis and Cycads. Good score.

Betty

There is always enough room for another palm!

Betty - private message me. I got to know what I missed :crying:

Ron. :)