IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ecuador

Davidl

reminds me a bit of tijuana,especially that last pic with the homes packed onto the hill in background.

those royals look well-grown.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

stop following me,mattyb! :angry:

still "warning-free."

stores

Dome002.jpg

Picture of the current riverfront in Guayaquil with picture of old riverfront below

Dome133.jpg

David

David, Great Palm pictures from an interesting and beautiful spot. Thank you

What you look for is what is looking

A tunnel that was several hundred feet long that was made from a volcano

david3131.jpg

My wife at the entrance of the tunnel

david3156.jpg

David

David,

Thanks for the pictures of Ecuador. I have been there a few times. The first time was in 1972 and I spent my 21st birthday there. During the trip I was travelling around South America on a small budget getting credits for independent study from the University of Montana. I hitch hiked from Quito to Guayaquil by myself as I had split up from my travel mate from Montana who stayed behind in Quito. I remember getting into Guayquil with no idea of where I was or where to stay. I ended up spending the night in a cheap hotel downtown, which I think was more of a brothel than a hotel. The night was miserable even though I was very tired I could not sleep well. The music around was blaring and the room was full of fleas. I guess for 2 dollars a night you could not expect much more. Early in the morning I got up and went to the airport to wait for an Air Force flight to the Galapagos Islands. The flight was on an old DC 4 which used to belong to Western Airlines, the seat belt buckles had Western logos on them. Since I had a summer job at Western in Montana this caught my attention. I spent a few weeks camped out in the Galapagos and with a few other traveler rented a boat and travelled around the islands. There were a lot of adventures during the trip. And, I my camera got wrecked as the dingy I was going to shore on from the fishing boat we chartered sunk and it got wet in the process. Back then tourism was not regulated and you could go anywhere with no controls. And, there was virtually no infrastructure as well. Fortunately I lived to remember the trip. During the 9 months I spent traveling around South America on that trip I spent a total of 1,600 USD. Which meant that I was always at the bottom of the comfort scale. The first time I every visited the South American rainforest was on this trip when I went down to hike in the jungle of Bolivia. This experience got me hooked on the place and in one form or another have been tied to South America ever since. On that trip I ended up by accident in Brazil as it was on in my travel plans. But, I instantly felt at home in the country and over the past nearly 4 decades have never been able to get away. So, at one point I just decided to stay. For better or worse.

Thanks again for the pictures they brought back some old memories.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thats a neat story Don and I can relate. I understand your love for South America and would like to travel to your area someday. The Galapagos was very nice and I wish I could of stayed longer.We traveled to only a few Islands because of time but it was allot of fun. The beaches there was the nicest I have ever seen.I am sure the hike from Quito was an interesting one with lots of beautiful sites. I think Guayaquil is a nicer city now than when I first went there in 2003 and much safer as well.Thanks for the comments

David

Awesome footage David.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

stop following me,mattyb! :angry:

Where the hell is he? And why can't you be a little nicer to your little brother?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

David,

Sorry, I got a little carried away w/ pauly.

But your pictures are awesome, I enjoyed them very much. I can't believe the diversity of palms while you were there. It was quite a few. Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

No problem Jeff I thought what you said to pohonkelapa was funny.Thanks for your comments and there is quite a diversity of palms growing all around Guayaquil. I am not sure why but they look good. You see more adonidia's than anything else.

David

Are those Bottles stretched b/c of shade? The look look really elongated...

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

matt is in alaska looking for "snow palms."

this is a great thread,david,& you keep adding awesome pix every time i come back to it!

is that a "singapore" plumeria in 1st pic of post 30? the pritachardia & coccothrinax in 1st pix of posts 24 & 25 are outstanding! thanks for posting these great shots!

still "warning-free."

pohonkelapa I'm not sure exactly what it is sorry I wish I knew more about other plants.

David