IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visit to pogobobs' home

palmcurry

Cool C.macrocarpa watermelon trunk!

pOGObob-bkyrd-wat5ermelon.jpg

Very Nice layout and a nice selection of palms too...Do you just leave your cuttings under the palms for mulch? I'm always afraid of bugs eating my tender palms...

So Beautiful! Makes me wonder how big they can get in a pot up here in VT. One of my C. macrocarpa seeds is showing signs of germinating! I'm pretty sure they are also v. Watermelon. Makes me think I might have to figure out how to smuggle one into the Bahamas!

Susan

This is incredible!! Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Very Impressed, it is night here and I am wanting to go out to the front yard and start digging holes to plant palms!

Really inspiring.

Love the presentation, a real credit to you.

Regards

Wanderanwills

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Bob, dammit man! Stand up and take a bow!! Your yard is so Jerry Lee Lewis it's not funny.

BOWWOW!Great Balls of fire!

Ah so , yes Robert. But do you understand the relationship between J.L.L. and your yard?

Hint....what was his nickname?

Bob, dammit man! Stand up and take a bow!! Your yard is so Jerry Lee Lewis it's not funny.

BOWWOW!Great Balls of fire!

Ah so , yes Robert. But do you understand the relationship between J.L.L. and your yard?

Hint....what was his nickname?

Took me a while to find and be sure..

"the Killer"

Like "all killer and no filler"!!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 month later...

Today I stopped by Pogos to get his expertise on transplanting a Cyphophoenix elegans. Brought the wifey so she can see one in person and not think I'm crazy for doing the deed. While there I snapped a few shots.

Here are the two of them in the luscious, famed backyard.

pOGObob2010-yardshot.jpg

Here is the C.elegans up closer. Can't believe I'm gonna get one of these...so stoked :drool:

Compare this with post 26.

pOGObob2010-Celegans-2.jpg

Here is the one in front of his home.

pOGObob2010-Celegans-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

While in the front yard The Chambeyronia hauilou called to me.

pOGObob2010-chuailou-3.jpg

post#2 is the same palm from last year.

pOGObob2010-chuailou-2.jpg

Here is Pogo for scale. I'm sure he is over 6'.

pOGObob2010-chuailou-1.jpg

Another in the backyard.

pOGObob2010-chuailou-6.jpg

• Upvote 1

Vince Bury

Well Vince your place will be rivalling that in no time now.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Dypsis ambositrae. Missed this one the first time. Nice reds(in the palm)

pOGObob2010-Dambo.jpg

Back to the backyard. Pogo pointed out to the wifey(to help her understand I need to get these palms!)that here are Hedyscepe canterburyana in three stages of growth.

pOGObob2010-patioshot.jpg

pOGObob2010-Hcant-2.jpg

pOGObob2010-Hcant-1.jpg

Hopefully the wife will understand when I come home with three on these :D:unsure:

• Upvote 1

Vince Bury

Whoa ! Vince -no one photographs Pogo's garden like you do . :D

Did you get a Hedyscepe ?

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

ACK! I missed out on a PRA! I almost just drove by....

I just picked up a big palm up there yesterday and stopped and ate at Fatburger.... I thought several times about stoppin or callin Bob, but I thought he'd be in Vista.

Great pics Vince!

(WHERE'S THE C. MACROSTACHYA??)!!!! Is it behind the wifey person?

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bob has all choice palms in his garden. No turds.

Vince, you are well on your way to truly joining the dysfunctional palm family. I think most of us have but in many miles to get the palms we love.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

My eyes hurt from staring at the pictures :blink:

Vince, Thanks for posting them and good luck on the dig.

Killer garden Bob, I gotta see it with my own two eyes someday.

Matt

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Vince, Thanks for posting the pics of my favorite So Cal garden :drool: . Your gonna love your new Cyphophoenix Elegans! They do pic up speed once they start trunking. Mine has three rings of clear trunk and It's starting to peel off leaf bases fast.

Stevo

• Upvote 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Looking Awesome.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Here are some pics I took last week(hard to post or do anything the first week of the month)

Burretiokentia vieillardii revisited.

pOGObob2010-Burretiokentiavieill-1.jpg

pOGObob2010-Burretiokentiavieillard.jpg

Here is the hard to see Pinanga coronada.

pOGObob2010-Pcoronata-2.jpg

Look at the 2nd pic in this post, you can see the same palm on the left side of the pic. I really dig this species.

• Upvote 1

Vince Bury

Forgot to add this earlier. Here is the Chambeyronia hookeri that is by the Pinanga coronada.

pOGObob2010-Chookeri-1.jpg

Finaly for this year is a silhoutte shot of the Syagrus abreojos in the backyard. Sun blacked out he pic but the difference in the plumose leaves of this 'species?!' stand out from the commmon queen(IMO)

pOGObob2010-Syagrusabreojos-1.jpg

Thats it for 2010.

• Upvote 1

Vince Bury

Ropie on the west side of the backyard.

pOGObob2010-Rsap-2.jpg

Infructecences.

pOGObob2010-Rsapc-1.jpg

WOW = that Chatham island Rhopy is LOADED ! :drool: i can defiantely vouch that they have a very high germination rate we have around 200 baby seedlings down in Tasmania now from this palm .

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Did I just see Palm Heaven? It would be hard, but I think I could live there. :drool::mrlooney::hmm::D

Just loved them all. Thanks for sharing the pics. My ropies all died on me :(

Edited by hanapalms

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

Still a very nice garden and palms! Thanks for sharing this new pictures!

Southwest

• 2 months later...

Pardon my rookie ID's. I'm still a seedling! The small palm in the front is a tri bear and Chambeyronia is a houailou. Here are some more shots.

pOGObob-bkyrd-2.jpg

pOGObob-bkyrd-5.jpg

Hi all i was just checking out this thread,what an amazing garden can someone tell me what palm to the left of the shot is? Its the one with brownish orange crownshaft,Burretiokentia? maybe. If so what species? thanks Craig(Chakoro)

After visiting Bob and his garden last month, it would be fare to say it is even better in real life, seeing the little hummingbirds drinking water was a new fascinating experience for me, their wings are really fast.

The garden is kept immaculate and each species planted for maximum impact on the eye.

and the hospitality is good, even got a cold beer. thank you Bob for the hospitality

regards

Colin

PS then got to see their new nursery, Cycads everywhere but they would not fit in my suitcasebiggrin.gif

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thanks for the great photos of Bob's wonderful garden. It was a treat to see the mature Rhopalostylis and Hedycepe. I have never seen either of these planted out here in Hawaii, although I managed to purchase some 5 gal ones. It will be a long wait, but worth it.

Cheers to Cheers; he looks like a real sweetie.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Growing up at this house is the soul reason why I am such a plant freeeeeek! Can you blame me? :lol:

One of the upcoming palm meetings will be at our pad here in San Clemente so come check it out!

Braden de Jong

I'll reveal our the secrets to this garden:

Pogo pretty much mulches everything back into the garden. Every time he mows the grass all the clippings go back into the planters and decompose providing more nutrients. Most all the old palm leaves get cut up into little tiny pieces and go back into the soil. We have 4 dogs so they mulch a lot too if you know what I mean! About 15 years ago Pogo bought a ton of earthworms and released them into the soil, earthworm castings are like adding gold to your soil and makes everything grow like mad! Every little hole you make in his yard has numerous worms in it. We have gone on 4 x 4 missions just to collect mulch in the backcountry. Countless times we have loaded the F250 with oak tree leaves and avocado leafs for the garden. Pogo switches the fert up all the time too, some of the most used types are Gro Power Plus and recently Seaweed Extract. He hand-waters a lot too. His place in San Clemente has a really insane micro climate for palms, almost every morning and evening it is gloomy with fog than burns off around noon letting sun in. The house is less than a mile from the ocean too which helps. He has been there over 30 yrs...

• Upvote 1

Braden de Jong

I'll reveal our the secrets to this garden:

Pogo pretty much mulches everything back into the garden. Every time he mows the grass all the clippings go back into the planters and decompose providing more nutrients. Most all the old palm leaves get cut up into little tiny pieces and go back into the soil. We have 4 dogs so they mulch a lot too if you know what I mean! About 15 years ago Pogo bought a ton of earthworms and released them into the soil, earthworm castings are like adding gold to your soil and makes everything grow like mad! Every little hole you make in his yard has numerous worms in it. We have gone on 4 x 4 missions just to collect mulch in the backcountry. Countless times we have loaded the F250 with oak tree leaves and avocado leafs for the garden. Pogo switches the fert up all the time too, some of the most used types are Gro Power Plus and recently Seaweed Extract. He hand-waters a lot too. His place in San Clemente has a really insane micro climate for palms, almost every morning and evening it is gloomy with fog than burns off around noon letting sun in. The house is less than a mile from the ocean too which helps. He has been there over 30 yrs...

Braden,

Thanks for sharing some pearls. It's obvious your place gets some special TLC. As a bystander I get to enjoy the work of 30 years...thats why I like to stop by. My wife says I look like a Japanese turist when I go over there with my camera! I'm not even sure why I'm so into shooting palms like Pogos but I am! :unsure: Hope my Cyphopheonix elegans end up looking as good as his. Look forewad to coming over next wekend when Troy is in town :)

Vince Bury

Hi everyone,does anybody know what the palm is on post#21 its the one on the left of the photo with orange/yellow inflorescense and brownish crownshaft.That is one beautiful palm. Thanks Craig(Chakoro).

Countless times we have loaded the F250 with oak tree leaves and avocado leafs for the garden.

Braden, I'm not sure this is the best idea at the moment since Sudden Oak Death (Phytophthora) has become a major setback in many agricultural areas. This is a very nasty pathogen that, even though more prevalent in Northern Cal, can be come a factor here. The spores are so virulent that folks exiting infected areas are advised to disinfect their clothing.

Hi everyone,does anybody know what the palm is on post#21 its the one on the left of the photo with orange/yellow inflorescense and brownish crownshaft.That is one beautiful palm. Thanks Craig(Chakoro).

Graig, looks liek no one answered the first time you asked. I believe the palm is Burretiokentia vieillardii.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin