IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visit to pogobobs' home

palmcurry

Thanks Vince for the great photos, for some reason, (the tropical heat), I thought Steve had posted. Really enjoyed the tour.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for the pics! Magnificent garden Bob, I wish we could grow Rophies like that. Wow :mrlooney:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

i never miss a chance to check out pogos garden! truly amazing!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Great camera work Vince! Poor guy was flipping out with sensery overload,(reminds me of me) trying to keep names straight and all! I think its great to see young people getting excited about the prospect of someday having their own garden and maybe lend a little influence :) Someone somwhere once said "Palms may grow slow but time goes by fast". But then again many palms grow darn fast. Some of the reasons for my good growing are good native soil (rocky loam) lots of mulch Including chopped up plant materials from the garden, mostly organic ferts, lots of water (downslope from a heavily watered golf course) and perhaps one of the most mild climates in the world.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone! :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Legendary!

Hmm.

Now I need to visit one of these days, from the other side of the OC . . . .

Great specimens!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I never get tired of seeing Pogos masterpiece San Clemente garden. It's like a cheap trip to New Caledonia..

That's one of the funniest one-liners I ever heard on this forum. It is a garden of Eden, alright. Thanks for posting, Vince - and for the curry recipes!

Ahh, nice to see the white work truck still in place. :) has it been moved since my visit 1 1/2 years ago? lol! The yard is looking great, just as I remembered. Size for size, it's one of the nicest gardens in Socal, IMO. Thanks for the pictures.....

Jeff

Hey Jeff, the trucks only been out a couple times a week lately with our crummy economy, I think we may rent the extra bedroom to palm junkeys on vacation for some extra dough. I can take you surfing, golfing, palm seeking or just hanging-out with the orangutang and drinking Stienlagers :lol:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

What a spectacular garden you have Bob. Thanks for allowing Vince to share it with us. Its so rare to see so many mature specimens in one garden.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Another view with some cool plants.

pOGObob-dpsamophilla3.jpg

What are those silvery rosette plants? They look so special. Is it some kind of Dudleya?

regards

Han

Thanks for the palm photos in the backyard. I saw the front yard during a drive-by in March when I was visiting SoCal. The back yard is even more spectacular! Great job Pogobob!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

That Howea forsteriana must be 30 ft tall .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Palms , fantastic, cycad collection, also stunning.

Beautifully put together.

Thanks for sharing these great shots.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Another view with some cool plants.

pOGObob-dpsamophilla3.jpg

What are those silvery rosette plants? They look so special. Is it some kind of Dudleya?

regards

Han

Han, they are indeed Dudleya Britonni native to northern Baja Mexico pacific coast.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Thanks for the palm photos in the backyard. I saw the front yard during a drive-by in March when I was visiting SoCal. The back yard is even more spectacular! Great job Pogobob!

Sorry I missed you Jeff, I may be in CR this fall and will look for you! :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Here is the largest Dypsis baronii I've come across :drool:

pOGObob-bkyrd-dbaoroni2.jpg

pOGObob-bkyrd-dbaoroni1.jpg

At it's base is a Dypsis heteromorpha.

pOGObob-bkyrd-dheteromorpha.jpg

This baronii has the ability to show different colors almost every time it sheds a leaf, as you can see the current "mood" is vanilla white. Sometimes it is sunset orange, sometimes poundcake yellow, and sometimes bright lime green. I wonder what causes these changes? :huh:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Wow! Pogobob your place is stunning and one of the best gardens I've ever seen. Awesome work putting it all together.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Now to the backyard.

pOGObob-bkyrd-1-5.jpg

could you live here?

pOGObob-bkyrd-2-5.jpg

Bob what are the blue cycads in pots called ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

You ask me if I can live there? Well when can I move in? Great garden and good pictures, thanks for sharing these.

Robbin

Southwest

Now to the backyard.

pOGObob-bkyrd-1-5.jpg

could you live here?

pOGObob-bkyrd-2-5.jpg

Hi Troy, they are Encephalartos Horridus and Arenarius

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Now to the backyard.

pOGObob-bkyrd-1-5.jpg

could you live here?

pOGObob-bkyrd-2-5.jpg

Hi Troy, they are Encephalartos Horridus and Arenarius

Whoa

saw a few posts in the exchange - cheaper to buy a ROLEX ! :drool: these babies must be a rare collectors Cycad !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Very nice visuals...And Dear Bob your garden rocks ! :greenthumb: Landscape & the surroundings looks very neat and well taken care off...Great effort !

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

GREAT garden pogobob, so neat and taken care of. is this one of the best climates for palms in California?

thanks for these photos!

any pics of the Syagrus abre ojos?

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Sorry I missed you Jeff, I may be in CR this fall and will look for you! :)

Please let me know if you decide to come to CR. You coming to surf?

I look forward to your visit!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Great photos Bob-- Merrill and I visited your garden in 2001 -- it was one of the high lights of the visit to Southern Ca.

Best regards

Ed

Ahh, nice to see the white work truck still in place. :) has it been moved since my visit 1 1/2 years ago? lol! The yard is looking great, just as I remembered. Size for size, it's one of the nicest gardens in Socal, IMO. Thanks for the pictures.....

Jeff

Hey Jeff, the trucks only been out a couple times a week lately with our crummy economy, I think we may rent the extra bedroom to palm junkeys on vacation for some extra dough. I can take you surfing, golfing, palm seeking or just hanging-out with the orangutang and drinking Stienlagers :lol:

Next time I'm in your hood, I'll catch a ride over. Not really into the surfing or golfing, but talking palm smack w/ a cold brandy slushie, or a cold anything will do. :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Good Job Vince!

You're more than a seedling in my eyes. Congrats on your new home as well. You can began another new garden for all of us to see later on and charrish!

Right on,

Dan

Beautiful yard...........inspirational :rolleyes: and yet depressing :unsure: at the same time (because my yard doesn't come close to that). Thanks for the inspirational depression. :blink:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 8 months later...

This yard is an example for times like these, planting and dreaming times. I am following and creating my palm dream!

By the way, how about some update pictures of this Bob's heaven?

Thanks for the bump. While working on my garden I always remember those round rock borders in Bob's

and the flow of the turf to highlight the plantings. Twenty plus years of palm growth would be helpful as well.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cool C.macrocarpa watermelon trunk!

pOGObob-bkyrd-wat5ermelon.jpg

Very Nice layout and a nice selection of palms too...Do you just leave your cuttings under the palms for mulch? I'm always afraid of bugs eating my tender palms...

This is the best foto of the syagrus abreojos i take when i visit Bob in september of the last year.

Bob also give to me seeds of this palm to establish again in Baja California (thank you Bob). His palm is from seeds of one palm they find here in Abreojos in 1974, and this palm is now gone.

When i travel for the work in diferent parts of the peninsula i always look at the syagrus to see if i can find one like this palm of Bob. I never find one.

post-285-12699755677916_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Very inspiring to see this garden again! I love it!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Never ceases to amaze me the difference between a SoCal garden of palms and a SoFla garden of palms. How attractive with species we can only dream about growing here in Southeast Florida. Bravo for a life's work of palm collecting. Great tour, thank you. :lol:

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!