IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontonphoenix

K_Palm

I am helping my dad with some landscaping and he would like to get a couple trios of kings.  Which ones would you suggestbest in Glendale, CA other than the most common A. cunninghamiana?  I am leaning towards the maxima or purpurea.

If you are growing anything other than the cunninghamiana (I have quite a few of these) I would love to see your pics.

I know some of this can be simply preference but I would like hear your thoughts regardless :)

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

All of the archontophoenix do fine in southern california imo. Some do better in shade than sun, though I forget which ones.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

As far as Kings go my order of preference is:

Myolensis - Nice green trunk instead of grey, nice fat base.

Purperea - Awesome purple crownshaft

Tuckerii - Faaaaaast grower!

Maxima - Grande

No need to go the Cunningham route as it is a road frequently traveled.

Throw in some Kentias for good measure!

Have fun planting!

Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

I agree with Jeff, A. myolensis is my favorite too.  That light green w/ faint hints of turquoise and powder crownshaft is a stunner.  A. purpurea is super nice too but slower than all the others.  For robust definately go with A. maxima.  Also, A. maxima seems to handle the sun the best for me.  A. cunninghamiana looks best in part day sun whereas A. maxima stays nice in the full all day sun.  Specifically, the leaflets don't curl up like A. cunninghamiana, they stay wide and flat.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It would be a shame if you couldn't have a 3 x 3 of A. myolensis, A. maxima and A. purpurea for example. You can't have even numbers, have 9 palms all up, nice odd number, looks much better in the landscape.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Would love to see your (anyone who cares to share) kings in the landscape...please share your pics ;)

Karel Castro

I'm in La Cañada and am growing A. cunninghamiana (lots), A. alexandrae, A. purpurea and A. tuckeri.  I'd like to add A. maxima and A. myolensis if I could find decent-sized specimens.

I have found that all of these prefer to be in half-day sun when they are smaller.  Once they get to be 10 feet tall or so they can take full sun.  They all like regular fertilizer and lots of water with my fast-draining soil.  Of the four species I'm growing, A. purpurea is by far the slowest.

Even though I have lots of Archontophoenix in my garden, they look so similar that I would caution against using too many in your landscaping, particularly if you have a smaller lot.  Jeff mentioned adding kentias and I agree if you can give them some shade until they grow larger.  Another real winner with a different look and color is Butia capitata.  Do not forget the palmate-leaved species.  They add much interest.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Hey Fred,

My parents house is very close to yours.  They live on the hills above Glendale College.

The trio of palms will flank an elevated slope on their patio that is on the north side of their property.  Although Kentias are a fine idea I don't know if they could handle the amount of sun in that area.

Would you post some pics of your kings?

Karel Castro

Wal that is a pretty sweet idea, but  I think the area may be too small for 9 kings.  Let me take a pic of the area and maybe this may change ideas even suggest different palms.

Karel Castro

Karel,

I've got a lot more than kings.  Come visit on Sunday instead.  I'll be working in the garden from 8 to 3.  PM me for directions.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

(Fred Zone 10A @ Nov. 13 2006,21:17)

Karel,

I've got a lot more than kings.  Come visit on Sunday instead.  I'll be working in the garden from 8 to 3.  PM me for directions.

Quite a neat place Karel and Freds a great guy to boot!!! Be sure to make the trip.

Are you guys coming down to the tour on Sat.???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I am afraid not.  My girls have been sick and my wife's sister is having a baby as I type!

Karel Castro

The key to your question is where to locate landscape-sized specimens - unless your Dad is content to watch sprouts grow. I know of a nursery in Anaheim selling alexandrae - but most recent acquisitions haven't fared too well.

Rancho Soledad Nursery is THE prime purveyor of Archontophoenix purpurea - they get my vote

I get by with a little help from my fronds