IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

bambusa vulgaris "wamin"

we dug up some regular oldhamii for a customer and so I decided while we were at it to split a clump of wamin

post-18-1246116352_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

this clump is about 4 or 5 years old from a double cane cut off the mother plant

post-18-1246116647_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

I made cuttings of this last year but it is soooooo slow to get them up to size!!

post-18-1246116779_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1246116879_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

getting down n dirty digging the first culms off the main plant

post-18-1246116990_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

giving the chop to the clump

post-18-1246117081_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Dear Tad :)

I have this variety of bamboo in our house garden,yes they are slow here too ! But it likes coconut palm fertilizer,since this was initially pale and no new clumps but during rains i started using this coco palm fertz..now its green & clumping but its not growing tall at all ? :hmm:

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

hauling them to the new site

post-18-1246117186_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

tiki the heeler dog checks out the bamboo to make sure its worthy of going in HIS yard

post-18-1246117282_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the brides prolly gonna be a little ticked that I am invading her area of the yard, but she will get over it ....I hope :unsure:

post-18-1246117444_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

This is my favorite bamboo and it is slow here as well.I think this is a good trait for a bamboo.This one is easily controled and can be planted in even small patio sized gardens.Have you seen the variegated variety?

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

i have some thats the ( kim-e-eye ) type , but I dont think its as good a plant as regular wamin!!

Abraham Lincoln

There is a variegated wamin, Bambusa vulgaris 'Wamin Striata', in addition to Bambusa tuldoides 'Kimmei', I have both. The variegation on the wamin striata is pretty subtle. The culms are two shades of green; sort of a lime green with darker stripes. Unfortunately like the regular wamin it is SLOW!

david

i tried cuttings from tuldoides, didnt get a one to take, its a great shrubby bamboo, just didnt propagate well for me, I may try and tisssue culture it,

Abraham Lincoln

Eww Yeah.

I like the BuddahBelly! :greenthumb:

I heard they do good in containers being rootbound. They like the stress?

It fattens 'em up? I dunno.

Either way, yours look great.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

They are slow, but not as slow as my B. lako. Mine just keep on getting fatter... it looks more like topiary at the moment :blink: . I hope it will gain some height next.... although where it is planted, it doesn't need to get tall to get the sun!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'm trying it here in Socal, but in a pot. I've heard that it doesn't get the swollen nodes here due to lack of humidity-we'll see. It's a few years old, and is about 5' tall, with some swerve tp the stems but no swelling yet. Did fine thru the big freeze, but it's a thirsty plant.

San Fernando Valley, California

ari my lako is faster than the belly??????

I think wamin does better in the ground than in a can,

Abraham Lincoln

I have a mature Wamin and find that it will put up about 2-4 sticks a year starting in May and then it usually kills off one. This is a very slow growing bamboo. I have always heard that lots of water is what makes the nodes swell.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

It is the B. tuldoides'Kimmei' that needs to be stressed to produce the 'bellies'; when not stressed the canes revert to normal. Keeping it pot bound or dry will usually stress it sufficiently. The B. vulgaris 'Wamin' doesn't need the stress.

david

I have a Buddha's Belly growing in a corner. How can one tell which variety it is?

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Post the photo, George... someone will, if I can't....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering having wamin in a pot, it's on special near here. I would have to water regularly, what other considerations do you think I should consider ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

I will pull out your B. vulgaris vittata (I just thought I had one.... correct me if I am wrong) and put B. vulgaris wamin instead. They don't grow too big and quite slow too, so perfect for suburban block. Whereas B. vulgaris vittata will take over!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I picked up some wamin for pot growth, kind of an experiment really.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I'm considering having wamin in a pot, it's on special near here. I would have to water regularly, what other considerations do you think I should consider ?

wal,

I don't know how cold you get in winter, but under 30F will top kill. If the ground gets cold, the rhizomes will suffer greatly in a pot. Otherwise, water regularly, moist but not wet.

BTW, how many rats does a manly packer pack?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

• 11 years later...

Old thread but curious about people in California trying this variety. I have a couple plants through their first NorCal winter in pots under a pergola. They seemed to pretty much cease growth during the winter despite being repotted end of summer. Obviously mine isn’t even established but if I had to guess I’d say it’s not very fond of cool wet weather. I’m curious to see how it picks up as the weather continues to warm.

On 6/27/2009 at 10:06 PM, ariscott said:

They are slow, but not as slow as my B. lako.

My mother-in-law was just asking me the other day why my lako clump is so much smaller than my chungii clump. Thanks to you, I now know why...it's just a slower species!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: