Caryota_gigas

Frost experiments from down under

Tyrone

I remember reading all this before. Very informative and gives me an idea of what those from NZ are growing successfully as I will be moving to my new property 250 miles south at the end of the month that thankfully gets no frost, but is lacking in real heat. The property has 3 lakes as well which should fend the cold away pretty well.

Jonathan

Tyrone - you'll be amazed what you can grow there.

In a way it's a more interesting climate than Perth cause you can grow all the cloud forest palms without stress, particularly if you've got plenty of water and no frost.

Albany looks like it has a great climate, like here but without the cold winters...sounds perfect to me, I think you'll be happy in the long run.

Break out of the prevailing Dypsis-centric mentallity and embrace your inner Ceroxylon, Chameadorea, Hedyscepe, Euterpe, Geonoma, etc...you know you want to!

Do you have photo's of the new place, and how big is it - 3 lakes sounds like a big acreage?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Tyrone

Tyrone - you'll be amazed what you can grow there.

In a way it's a more interesting climate than Perth cause you can grow all the cloud forest palms without stress, particularly if you've got plenty of water and no frost.

Albany looks like it has a great climate, like here but without the cold winters...sounds perfect to me, I think you'll be happy in the long run.

Break out of the prevailing Dypsis-centric mentallity and embrace your inner Ceroxylon, Chameadorea, Hedyscepe, Euterpe, Geonoma, etc...you know you want to!

Do you have photo's of the new place, and how big is it - 3 lakes sounds like a big acreage?

Cheers,

Jonathan

I like your thinking. :)

I will take some pics the next time I'm down there. We move in on the 23rd of Jan. It is a 6 acre property, very close to a tributary of the King River and is predominantly peat soil. Water is virtually unlimited. :D

Bennz

Hey Tyrone, I'm looking forward to the pictures too, but to be honest, I'm really looking forward to some EXTREMELY impressive "before and after" shots in about 10 years time!