IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frost experiments from down under

Caryota_gigas

So where is global warming again...???

On holiday in Fiji mate, where we should be too.

Has been the coldest winter I can remember here too. But -2C? I doubt it will happen in Auckland.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Michael,

Weather Underground says 1° overnight in Auckland with a 3° windchill - is that where you get the -2° from?

Hopefully it wont be as bad as you think....also looks to be warming up a bit later in the week for you.

Good luck,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Metservice, the national weather forecaster is where I got the -2°C from

Thankfully it has been upgraded to 2°. Maybe some put a - in by mistake... or perhaps they just wanted me to spend all day making my property frost proof.

So I will do an experiment tonight along the lines of the one I did last night.

I will find the pic of the plants involved and list species shortly.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Metservice, the national weather forecaster is where I got the -2°C from

Thankfully it has been upgraded to 2°. Maybe some put a - in by mistake... or perhaps they just wanted me to spend all day making my property frost proof.

So I will do an experiment tonight along the lines of the one I did last night.

I will find the pic of the plants involved and list species shortly.

You need those outdoor mexican fireplaces set up outside and to stay up all night to ensure a supply of fresh wood :mrlooney: but if it's 2 not -2 that's not too bad - Good luck anyway

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

So the plants I put out over the last 2 nights are;

Aiphanes horrida (3 frosts for this plant)

Areca triandra (2 frosts for this plant)

Beccariophoenix alfredii (5 or 6 frosts for this plant)

Chambeyronia macrocarpa (2 frosts for this plant)

Dypsis ambositrae (2 frosts for this plant)

Dypsis decipiens (2 frosts for this plant)

Howea belmoreana (2 frosts for this plant)

The last 2 frosts have been very mild, not much below freezing... good for the plants... not so good for the science.

At least we didnt get the awful low they were predicting all day yesterday.

All these plants look fine at this stage.

I have been plesently surprised at the hardiness of A. horrida, and A. triandra... I didnt think these would stand a chance.

post-636-1248725607_thumb.jpg

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

You need those outdoor mexican fireplaces set up outside and to stay up all night to ensure a supply of fresh wood :mrlooney: but if it's 2 not -2 that's not too bad - Good luck anyway

I have thought about having burning 44 Gal. drums around the property.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

We'll were not known as palm nuts for nothing :mrlooney:

Has anyone actually done this, I have thought about it too .... they're coming to take me away ha ha he he.....

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

We'll were not known as palm nuts for nothing :mrlooney:

Has anyone actually done this, I have thought about it too .... they're coming to take me away ha ha he he.....

mea culpa

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

The last 2 frosts have been very mild, not much below freezing... good for the plants... not so good for the science.

I have been plesently surprised at the hardiness of A. horrida, and A. triandra... I didnt think these would stand a chance.

I have been living with waist high Chambeyronias in pots because I was worried they would frost, looks like they will be going in the ground this spring. Likewise the Aiphanes and D. ambositrae. I planted the Becarriophoenix last weekend, armed with my new found knowledge from Aotaoroa

Peachy

27.35 south.

I have been living with waist high Chambeyronias in pots because I was worried they would frost, looks like they will be going in the ground this spring. Likewise the Aiphanes and D. ambositrae. I planted the Becarriophoenix last weekend, armed with my new found knowledge from Aotaoroa

Peachy

27.35 south.

Great results Michael - best thread ever!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

My Caryota mitis desfoliated all winter. This winter was very well until july 20, but now 10 hard frost occured here in south o Brazil.

post-2078-1249165992_thumb.jpg

It certainly has been a very cold Southern hemispere Winter. May, June and July have been amongst the coldest ever here in Auckland.

I will do a summary shortly on how my palms in-ground and my frost experiments on seedlings have gone, and what they look like now...

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

It certainly has been a very cold Southern hemispere Winter. May, June and July have been amongst the coldest ever here in Auckland.

But not here.

This time last year we'd had nearly 20 frosts, this year 4 or 5 at the most, but its been wet, wet, wet!

Cheers,

Jonathan

First touch of frost friday morning. Nothing burnt, just a bit of bronzing on the allamandas mainly. The nights havent been as cold as most years either, but the daytime temps have been down a bit and quite a lot of young seedlings have died or are about to. It's been my worst year ever as far as losses go. Bring some of your rain with you Jon, I am handwatering for at least 1 to 2 hours every day now and I really do have better ways to spend my time. :angry:

Peachy

27.35 south.

Great thread, Any updates on your experiments Michael ?

I'm particularly interested in Beccariophoenix alfredii, as I have one and I'm following your results with interest.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Sorry, I have been meaning to post an update on all the above experiments but havent had the time... I will still do it... soon I hope.

B. alfredii - I have put one particular seedling through 6 frosts now of varying intensity (as well as a couple of othe plants through a few)... and no damage to report... these are tough little plants! This is the 2nd year some of these plants have been subjected to this abuse and come through fine - no loses, or even permanent marking. Soon to be tough big plants I hope. You will also be happy to hear that the Southern population of B. madagascariensis have also come through unscathed.

More updates soon...

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a couple of weeks and I think (fingers crossed) that the frosts are at an end. So its time for a bit of a round up... bear with me... this may take quite a few posts...

I live in West Auckland, New Zealand. On average we get around 5 frosts a year ranging down to around -2°C.

Last year we had 4, the year before 10, this year we have had 14 with the first 3 doing most of the damage. The first 2 frosts came with little warning and were the worst we have had with temps of -3.4°C and -3.5°C (around 26°F).

I will do this in 2 sections:

• In-ground palms
  • Seedling frost experiments

I will begin with 2 palms that are soon to be removed.

These Archontophoenix damage at any sign of frost... and this year they might as well be brown leaved palms...

A. alexandrae (left) A. purpurea (right)

post-636-1251072767_thumb.jpg

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

Caryota maxima "himalaya" failed after first frost with no protection... not as cold hardy as many say. Though this is still a young plant with an overall height of only 2 metres. Touch and go as to wether this one will survive...

post-636-1251073912_thumb.jpg

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

Its amazing what some light, natural, overhead protection can do.

Dypsis lutescens is said by most to be too difficult to grow in NZ. This plant has made it through the coldest Winter of my lifetime with flying colours. (As well as prvious Winters).

post-636-1251075360_thumb.jpg

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

Alongside the D. lutescens is a palm considered even less likely to survive outdoors in NZ. This Hyophorbe verschaffeltii is showing some signs of stress but has done extremely well considering the cold this year. This palm along with D. lutescens can take a lot of cold provided they are not wet at the same time. Good drainage is paramount in Winter, and these palms are in a dry area due to nearby large trees sucking the place dry. Hopefully a long warm Summer will follow to pump out many nice new leaves before next Winter.

post-636-1251075770_thumb.jpg

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

Other palms under natural cover at my place that have received no damage from the cold include;

• Prestoea accuminata
  • Chamaedorea glaucifolia
  • Chamaedorea elegans
  • Areca triandra
  • Wettinia praemorsa
  • Caryota monostachya
  • Caryota mitis
  • Rhopalostylis sapida
  • Rhapis excelsa
  • Geonoma brevispatha var. brevispatha

and more...

Many of these palms would have been killed if only a couple of metres away from there protected sites. Natural cover is a fantastic way of ensuring your palms survive frosty Winters.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

In the past this Chambeyronia macrocarpa has coped well with frost. In a mild frost the leaves mark up in a pretty diamond pattern, but that soon fades leaving no permanent damage. This year however with frosts down to the -3.5°C (25.7°F) a different story has emerged.

post-636-1251077414_thumb.jpg

Taken in July 2006

post-636-1251077478_thumb.jpg

Taken August 2009

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

Hi Micheal

A very detailed and interesting although somewhat horric account of what a hard frost can do to palms. sad to see some of your favorites suffer ,with the exception of the Archonophoenix's and Prichardia the others should make a timely comeback .

Very interesting to see how well the Hedyscepe did with -3.5c a really tough customer ,hardier than howea forsteriana it seems and to think i was worried about mine when our low this winter was 0.1 C ( i am very close to the water ) .

do you have any howea outside in your garden ??

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Michael, these have been very interesting and useful results you have documented. You have demonstrated the power of the "microclimate" very well by growing golden canes and spindles in NZ.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Global warming my AA!@#@!! Here I am sitting in front of the expanding Gacier in South Island Jan. 07. The headline news said it was the coldest summer in New Zealand in 80 yrs. Currently we in southern California are having a cooler summer. Put that in your journal polititian! :lol:

post-406-1251130719_thumb.jpg

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery