IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HIPS garden tour 7 June 2009

bgl

post-1300-1244536730_thumb.jpg

I'd never seen Arenga undulatifolia before, huge palm. To the right is Iriartea deltoida and Dypsis baronii.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-1244536949_thumb.jpg

Here's Bo entertaining the troops.

post-1300-1244537021_thumb.jpg

Well so much for going in order. Incredibly beautiful Licuala grandis.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-1244537310_thumb.jpg

Latania sp. Not sure on this one.

post-1300-1244537445_thumb.jpg

Chambeyronia hookerii

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are a few non palm photos and I'm sure someone can confirm.

post-1300-1244537674_thumb.jpg

Striking plant especially with overcast light.

post-1300-1244537748_thumb.jpg

Maybe some sort of Bombax.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Anthurium with seed.

post-1300-1244537901_thumb.jpg

Someone thought this might be tumeric. Beautiful flower.

post-1300-1244537956_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

noice palms there fella, bit slimey, but lovely just the same time. ;)

I mean seriously, how can you guys enjoy yourselves when everything grows like that, how terrible it must be not to experience a struggling palm, come through tough winters, to just hang in there and survive. :P

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Well, here's the last one. Another shot of the small house. Hard to believe where some people have to live. Pretty dreamy stuff.

post-1300-1244538111_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

see what I mean :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great pics Tim! This garden is so wonderfully matured and the palms are TALL!

Could pic 2 in post 42 be L. sumawongii or elegans or whatever its called?

Sigh... Why am I waiting to move? :rolleyes:

Thanks Bo and Tim for the photo tour of this outstanding garden. I'd like to apply for the job of personal chef to the new owners, whoever they turn out to be, just so I might live in the small hale and wake up to those stately palms every morning... :lol: Now that is paradise... Makes some of our California gardens look like palm garden wannabes, oh the sting of palm envy!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oh, my!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

good pix,tim!

i agree,the arenga you mentioned is a knock-out! sadly we cant grow them here but i have seen wallichia densifloras that look very similiar so i plan to try one of those instead!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Tim, thanks a lot for posting additional photos. Nicely complimented the areas I happened to miss! And thank you everybody for your comments. Second photo in post #42 - yes, Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, and I am fairly certain that the plant in the first photo in post #45 is the dreaded Miconia, which has invaded Tahiti, and has become a problem in some areas here on the Big Island. Here in Leilani Estates, there's a special "Miconia Team" on a "search and destroy" mission... And Ari, the garden up around the main house is 9 acres. Not sure about the lower part of the valley. After the property was sold several years ago, some of it was subdivided, and some of it had been leased. I believe it's probably around 40-50 acres, but that's just a guess.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great pics Tim! This garden is so wonderfully matured and the palms are TALL!

Could pic 2 in post 42 be L. sumawongii or elegans or whatever its called?

Sigh... Why am I waiting to move? :rolleyes:

Bill,

Your right, it's Licuala peltata Sumawongii.

Back in post #38, the low growing palms are not Asterogyne, maybe a Geonoma species, but I can't be for sure. A very beautiful leaf they have. Thanks for all the good pictures.

PS.....I'd hate to be a fertilizer salesman out there.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Tim, thanks a lot for posting additional photos. Nicely complimented the areas I happened to miss! And thank you everybody for your comments. Second photo in post #42 - yes, Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, and I am fairly certain that the plant in the first photo in post #45 is the dreaded Miconia, which has invaded Tahiti, and has become a problem in some areas here on the Big Island. Here in Leilani Estates, there's a special "Miconia Team" on a "search and destroy" mission... And Ari, the garden up around the main house is 9 acres. Not sure about the lower part of the valley. After the property was sold several years ago, some of it was subdivided, and some of it had been leased. I believe it's probably around 40-50 acres, but that's just a guess.

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo. I was asking because my 5 acres is enough work for me at the moment.... :winkie:

Are you sure the photo in post #45 is not Pentagonia? I might be wrong though.... I have one, but hidden in my overgrown shadehouse at the moment, waiting for enough shade to be planted out. Do you know what tree in the second photo in post #45?? Anyone??

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think the second tree in 45 might be Pseudobombax eliipticum, but I could be wrong.

San Fernando Valley, California

I think the second tree in 45 might be Pseudobombax eliipticum, but I could be wrong.

Very nice tree..... I guess it is another one to put on the 'Wish List'. Thanks, Peter, my 5 acres is getting full as we speak...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks for the photo info updates, every little bit helps.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 10 months later...

Thanks Bo for the background and description of that incredible garden. Here are a few more shots you might enjoy. One can never have too many images of palms we don't usually encounter. This garden was truly a slice of paradise. I'll try and post the pics in the order of the tour and the species list that was provided.

Tim

post-1300-1244534848_thumb.jpg

Archontophoenix purpurea

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I HAVE to know what the palms are in the bottom right corner of this picture. I'm assuming Pinanga but will wait and see the verdict.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Jon, those look like Pinanga to me also... maybe maculata (can't make out leaf tip shape) or most likely caesia? Beautiful species none the less! Good eye! ;)